GDT November 30th Sabres @ Blues 8pm MSG, ESPN+

Shoot da Puck

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good to hear calamity Clifton might be sitting. Little Johnson should be getting his minutes while clueless Conner watches a game or two from the box and then returns with renewed focus.

How many of us would have predicted before the season started that Clifton would be losing ice time to the two Johnsons in the first 1/3 of the season?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

How many of us would have predicted before the season started that Clifton would be losing ice time to the two Johnsons in the first 1/3 of the season?

I couldn’t have predicted it at all. Hell, I thought he might actually be a partner for Dahlin at one point, if not second pair with Power. I’m shocked at how un-poised he is at times in his own end. 

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

I was sure EJ was going to get load managed with Bryson slotting in. He has become important to the PK so DG keeps him in and manages his minutes in game.

RyJo has definitely been a pleasant surprise. The less I see of Bryson the better.

DG may think twice before banging on the table for guys he coached at the USNDTP. I suspect Clifton can improve and carve out a role.

If nothing else, Clifton was a good depth signing.  I don't think he envisioned the Sabres having this many good NHL D players.  He thought he might be Top Four but Muel is the incumbent, Joki is becoming Teppo Numminen and having his best season as a Sabre, and Ryan Johnson came out of nowhere.  I don't think Clifton is better than any of those guys to be honest.

It's just so weird to have 7 legit NHLers on D.  It's been ages since the Sabres have had that.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

I Didnt Desus And Mero GIF by Bernie Sanders

I thought EJ would be more steady.  Didn't expect to see Ryan J up until later in the season - he keeps a cools head and make a fine breakout pass. 

Clifton does some things well, and we may miss him against big gritty teams like we could see tonight, but then he seems to be involved in some unfortunate (some may call boneheaded) plays on occasion. 

Three deflections off of him already - so he is trying to clear out the front of net but he is also not aware of everything going on around him.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

I suppose Clifton demonstrates how important team structure and the defensive play of forwards is to the success of the team and individual players on it. One affects the other. In the system he came from, his flaws were minimized, covered up for, and he thrived. It allowed him to hit a lot and play aggressively. In this system (?) his flaws are exposed and he doesn't get much support and so he flounders. 

I saw Risto the other night in a Philly game. They have him as 6D and they have kept it simple for him. He stays in his lane, drops back quick and still hits like a ton of bricks. Seems to be working in that somewhat limited capacity. I think Clifton's case has similarities. 

Now to the game, are the Blues any good? Are they not in a bit of a tear down rebuild? I think you have to win these games to have a shot that's for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I should say they lose every time I start caring again

Therefore, I don’t care anymore

Probably a function of getting jazzed up by wins, when their record following a win this season is 1 win, 8 losses. 

9 and 3 following a loss 

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Big part of the reason this board feels like a roller coaster.

Have to learn to ride the wave until things steady out one way or another. Then again, it could be that our identity IS Jekyll and Hyde right now 

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Columbus seems to give us fits. But I think the team shows up in force tonight. Benson, it's his time to shine tonight, hat trick plus 3 helpers for a 6 point onslaught.

Go Sabres!!!

Probably good that the Sabres are playing the Blues tonight.  😉

• Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Columbus seems to give us fits. But I think the team shows up in force tonight. Benson, it's his time to shine tonight, hat trick plus 3 helpers for a 6 point onslaught.

Go Sabres!!!

I dislike how Columbus keeps subbing themselves into our matchups at will 

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Go Sabres!!!

The bus better keep going down I70 to St Louis. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.