GDT - Sabres @ Capitals - 11/22/2023 @ 6PM CT / 7PM ET - MSGB/ESPN+

#freejame

31 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Honestly just depressed that we never seem to catch a wave. It doesn't matter what we do; it will just blow up in our face anyway. 

#1 overall picks don't play in the AHL; it just doesn't happen. Plus he played a year in college which is also very rare for a #1 overall pick. He's still solid analytically but seems to be have frequent brain farts; definitely a sophomore slump. 

Benson is truly an enigma on what to do with him. Benson is NHL ready in all but physicality and generally makes us a better team when he's on the ice. Sending him back to the WHL feels idiotic due to how it would likely hurt the team yet simultaneously he'd likely be better served with more time to physically prep.  

Levi is similar to Benson in that he has NHL talent but he also has the unenviable job of a goalie whom historically requires a ton of time prior to readiness.

You play in the AHL if you're not good enough. Simple as that. 

I agree on exactly what you said about Benson. That is why I have "reservations" with him staying. 

Levi needs 2 and maybe even 3 years of solid AHL work imo. 

37 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This team is so sad, I can't even get excited when they're on anymore. I love hockey, I Love the Sabres... At least I did. They're turning die hard fans into passive watchers. FU Terry, FU KA and FU buffalo curse. 

This sums it up perfectly. I watch without excitement. It’s like being on autopilot. Oh the Sabres are playing so I’m supposed to watch. 

Can anyone say they watch with any anticipation of a clutch save, perfect snipe, big hit, or great playmaking leading to a goal?

I am firmly on the fire KA bandwagon. You don’t win with a bunch of young talent. The Oilers tried.

• Agree 1

Vented pretty bad last night… Thought we gave away a win…

Not today… 

Much to be thankful for in Sabrespace… Our owners who keep Buffalo in the NHL… our GM who filled the pipeline with future All-Pros… Our Coach who takes the heat from us as the team finds its way… and the Players who embrace the community… and work to compete and entertain us on their way to bringing a Stanley Cup to Buffalo someday soon…

Happy Thanksgiving all… Eat, Drink, and be Merry!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I feel a little bit like this tonight.  It was close to being a near perfect road game.  But, they just couldn't get the one last play they needed to seal the win, whether that be a 4th goal, a big defensive play or a save.  So much of that does seem to relate to experience. I'm not making excuses.  It seems the best we can hope for is that they hang in there until New Year's, don't fall too far behind, get Thompson and Quinn back, maybe sort out who the #1 goalie is by then, and then get on a role in the 2nd half.  😬

I hope they do get on a role. Worried about goaltending over the long haul. Also talent on this team is pretty good overall but they need to mold good talent into a good team. That requires maturity and coaching and with that comes confidence. Not sure if all those ingredients are there yet.

8 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Cozen said in the post game they sat back and tried to win the game without scoring another goal.  They were not gassed, they just decided to not play offense 

8 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Wow. Im don’t even know how to respond to that. 

Animated GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Ok. Thursday morning. Sun came up (or, I assume it will). Beat Pittsburgh Friday and we have 20points in 20 games. Improve a bit and get 22-23 points in games 21-40. Get Thompson and Quinn back, sort out the goaltending and get 24-25 points in games 41-60. Make a meaningful deadline trade (dare to dream) and get 26-27 points in games 61-80. Go into the final 2 games with 93-95 points and grab a wildcard. 

The negative is we are not where we want to be. The positive is that we just had a decent road trip after a bad two games against Pit/Bos. In the light of day there are positives to build on. 

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

Ok. Thursday morning. Sun came up (or, I assume it will). Beat Pittsburgh Friday and we have 20points in 20 games. Improve a bit and get 22-23 points in games 21-40. Get Thompson and Quinn back, sort out the goaltending and get 24-25 points in games 41-60. Make a meaningful deadline trade (dare to dream) and get 26-27 points in games 61-80. Go into the final 2 games with 93-95 points and grab a wildcard. 

The negative is we are not where we want to be. The positive is that we just had a decent road trip after a bad two games against Pit/Bos. In the light of day there are positives to build on. 

Unless Adams starts being a GM, right now, this season is lost. Adding Kane and doing nothing else wouldn't count either. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

They are going to get their teeth kicked in on Friday. The only suspense is whether Crosby or Malkin end up with hat tricks.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I’m trying to be fair and realistic but tonight did it for me, I don’t think they have what it takes to make the jump yet. Still at least a year away. I hope I am wrong. I can’t see this team suddenly becoming consistent enough to leap ahead of the teams they are in contention with for a wc spot. 

I think you're right. The only way the Sabres make it is with a couple of changes. They can't afford to flounder with Tage out and perhaps mediocre goaltending. Not much out there in the way of decent available goalies as Edmonton is seriously on the hunt as well. Halak intrigues me as he is capable of going on a run but that is past history. He requested out of Carolina so if he's reasonably priced? Patrick Kane intrigues me as his hip is all healed and perhaps he can pick up from Tage in the interim and if he's motivated to be home, who knows? He won't come cheaply but the Sabres need to get scoring again and who else is available that can help in that department?

Just now, eman said:

I think you're right. The only way the Sabres make it is with a couple of changes. They can't afford to flounder with Tage out and perhaps mediocre goaltending. Not much out there in the way of decent available goalies as Edmonton is seriously on the hunt as well. Halak intrigues me as he is capable of going on a run but that is past history. He requested out of Carolina so if he's reasonably priced? Patrick Kane intrigues me as his hip is all healed and perhaps he can pick up from Tage in the interim and if he's motivated to be home, who knows? He won't come cheaply but the Sabres need to get scoring again and who else is available that can help in that department?

and get Levi to Rochester. Kid needs to play on a more consistant basis. He's so young, no need to saddle him with this kind of pressure just yet.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Unless Adams starts being a GM, right now, this season is lost. Adding Kane and doing nothing else wouldn't count either. 

Agreed, unless UPL (who has actually been not all that shabby (breakaway record aside) or Comrie truly start to shine, KA should seek out a goalie. Let Levi go to Rochester and play regularly. The kid has a long career in front of him, treat him right. 

What a completely disappointing loss. Giving up that late goal was so frustrating. 

Then Cozens was a total idiot in overtime. Dumb shot easily blocked and then chases the corner with a teammate already deep! Unbelievable. and he has no idea what to do offensively. He had a very good shot to score on the PP but that was after, what? 12 tries at a shot? He had so much promise last year but man, he seems to have no idea how to play the offensive end. 

Just an utterly deflating loss as a fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

The "Prevent Defense" strikes again!

Yes and that is 1000% on DG. 

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

What a completely disappointing loss. Giving up that late goal was so frustrating. 

Then Cozens was a total idiot in overtime. Dumb shot easily blocked and then chases the corner with a teammate already deep! Unbelievable. and he has no idea what to do offensively. He had a very good shot to score on the PP but that was after, what? 12 tries at a shot? He had so much promise last year but man, he seems to have no idea how to play the offensive end. 

Just an utterly deflating loss as a fan. 

I get Cozen’s had a goal in this game but putting him out there for OT more than once is plain stupid. You put the people out there you have the best chance to score. That is NOT Cozen’s and Power. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

Aren’t you super positive on this Thanksgiving. You can’t lose games like that against teams you will have to battle to make it into the playoffs. On top of not having veterans on this team to help guide these young guys, DG makes bad decisions and doesn’t coach. He lets them “make mistakes” and doesn’t correct them in game. He allowed the team to play not to lose instead of trying to score in the last half of the third. When their wildly inconsistent defense finally broke down Wilson scored the game tying goal. This team will not make the playoffs with DG at the helm. 

11 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Man, I am going to feel dirty in the morning when I revisit this (given UPL’s issues with rebound control),  but I think his size saved one of these GA.
The first one was a deflection that length might have gotten to? This is a guess, but Levi looked inadequate. Willing to let it go either way. 

The second goal was a juicy rebound.  Hard to argue UPL would have swallowed given his history, but it was bad nonetheless.   

The third goal is on the defense and not the goalie. 

The OT goal was a 2 on 1, but if the goalie has the shooter…it was a poor effort by the goalie. 

I cannot claim UPL would have been better, but he would not have been worse. It’s time to re-evaluate the plan to develop Levi in the NHL.  

Please.  We will never know if UPL gets a shutout or if he stinks it up and gives up 5.  Same with Comrie.  Why bother discussing it?  

The loss is a team loss.  The effort was there for most the game, but not enough of it.   We still are not going to the net enough.  Benson does it, why won’t more of our forwards get dirty? 

I thought Girgs played well, especially when paired with Benson and Mitts.  Yet, he missed his man on a goal. I thought Levi played ok.  Some big saves, and then some mistakes, like with 4 seconds left in OT.  

We outplayed them but they hung around and took advantage of our youth and our propensity to blow up under pressure. 

As for Levi?  Are we going to develop him in the NHL and take our lumps watching him play every 5 or 6 days?   Or, can we send him to Rochester and he can play almost every game, get better, build confidence and come back later.  

Same with Krebs.  If he truly is waiver exempt then send him down to find his game.  Tage and Mitts needed it.  It’s not a big deal except we are seeing how thin we really are at center with Tage out.   

Adam’s has to find help at forward, especially at center.  We can’t rotate 11.   Winning teams run 4 lines.  

5 hours ago, Believer said:

Much to be thankful for in Sabrespace… Our owners who keep Buffalo in the NHL… our GM who filled the pipeline with future All-Pros… Our Coach who takes the heat from us as the team finds its way… and the Players who embrace the community… and work to compete and entertain us on their way to bringing a Stanley Cup to Buffalo someday soon…

Happy Thanksgiving all… Eat, Drink, and be Merry!

Good man.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Aren’t you super positive on this Thanksgiving. You can’t lose games like that against teams you will have to battle to make it into the playoffs. On top of not having veterans on this team to help guide these young guys, DG makes bad decisions and doesn’t coach. He lets them “make mistakes” and doesn’t correct them in game. He allowed the team to play not to lose instead of trying to score in the last half of the third. When their wildly inconsistent defense finally broke down Wilson scored the game tying goal. This team will not make the playoffs with DG at the helm. 

See bold.  Where do you get this from?  They look at every shift on an iPad.  That is to see what the opponent is doing and then adjust.  That is correcting on the spot, you can point it out all day long but the player has to execute.  

Last night they kept attacking to try to score the 4th goal, they just didn't do it.  

DG is not a perfect coach but look at the roster, for every up and coming player there is either a boat anchor or a kid making rookie mistakes.   If you feel they need more veterans you should be talking about Adams, not the coach.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I hate OT and the SO even more.

A tie on the road against a pretty good team that started slow, but are finding their way is not a terrible result.

The Sabres are starting to figure things out slowly.  Their top forward is out.  Others are not 100%.  A bunch of players just coming into their prime mixed in with a couple of old farts and rookies making mistakes, but learning on the fly is a recipe for some good games, some okay games and some stinkers.  This one was somewhere in the middle of good and okay.

• Like (+1) 2

Others have said some of this but here goes:

-12 forwards. Roll 4 lines. Fill in/call up who you need to in order to make that work.

-As far as play this year, UPL has been generally the best, Comrie very close 2nd.  I'd get Levi a stint in Roch and go UPL/Comrie 60/40 percent from now on and the immediate future.

-IF Cozens is hurt in a way it is impacting his game, sit him for a few games. He's making mistakes to hurt you AND not producing as much as last year. Get him right.

-Dahlin is starting to play better after an up-and-down start, but can we not put him out there for close to 28 minutes in a game?

-This team is better off right now if Okposo and Krebs miss some games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.