Buffalo things that hold no meaning for you

Doohickie

This thread is primarily for the Buffalo diaspora, or possibly some of the younger people who missed out on things because they weren't aware yet.  What are things associated with Buffalo that you missed out on?  I'm thinking of Buffalo things/traditions that

I grew up in Cheektowaga, and left for college in 1980.  I came home the first two summers but haven't lived there since.  So there are a lot of things I missed out on.

• The general revitalization of Buffalo
  • Metro Rail
  • Canalside (I've spent an afternoon or two there, but as a tourist)
  • KeyBank Center (never been to a game there!)
  • Buffalo Bandits
  • Original Pizza Logs
  • Paula's Donu
  • Sponge candy
  • Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken

I'm sure there are others (and I reserve the right to add to the list), but what about the rest of you?  What are Buffalo things that weren't yet things when you left Buffalo, things you missed out on?

Edited by Doohickie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On a more personal level:  Thirty-Three Speakeasy Grill on Genesee Street.  When I was growing up it was Roma Italian Restaurant; my first job was washing dishes/short order cook there.  Speakeasy has a video header on their website; where they show the kitchen it looks pretty much the same as when I worked there; I think I've used those same ovens to cook pizza.

Canalside, the Cobblestone District, the Theatre District, the Fruit Belt,...all of these have no meaning to me, being a Buffalonian from the early 60's to mid-70's. At first glance, they sound like contrived gentrification marketing terms that make realtor's and property broker's eyes light up, and hands rub together, with visions of dollar signs.

Edited by phil_soisson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, Night Train said:

The term " Bills Mafia ", as mentioned above. I told the family to never buy me anything with that term printed on it. 

You're the second one to mention this.  I watch the Bills games at a DFW Bills Backers Bar and it never occurred to me that Bills Mafia was a negative term, perhaps because it's largely embraced by the Bills Backers group I hang with.  I even have DFW Bills Mafia t-shirt.

You're right though.... the term Bills Mafia is more recent than my last residency in Buffalo.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I missed out on the Rockpile. And championships for the Bills and Bisons.

I don't really remember the Bills AFL championship, but I *do* remember going to the Rockpile.  My dad had season tix and I went to a few games there.  My most vivid memory of the place was having to pee in a urinal trough, shoulder-to-shoulder with a crowd.... well for me it was shoulder-to-elbow since I was only, like 8 years old.  After Rich Stadium was built, I did go to a number of Bisons games in the Rockpile.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sponge candy.  🤮 

I don't remember ever having sponge candy growing up.  I like it, we just never got it.  Was it a "thing" prior to 1980?  Honestly asking.

Another thing I know existed but I never heard of it was Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken.  I may very well have had some at some point, but it wasn't branded then I don't think as it is now.

Need to add both of these to my list.

I came into this thread thinking that this thread was going to go a totally different direction and talk about some of the stuff that Buffalo hypes but feels silly. I came prepared to answer a question nobody asked me, so here it goes. 

Tim Hortons- Their coffee stinks. I have never missed it.
Sahlens hot dogs- Don't get me wrong, I love Ted's. But when it comes to brands a lot of regions have their local purveyor and most taste pretty similar. 

As not to pile on Buffalo, I live in the capital region now. 

Stewarts - If K-Mart were a gas station it would be Stewarts. People who hype Stewarts have never been to a Wawa (The Wegmans of gas stations/corner stores)

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Sponge candy.  🤮 

Same.

I didn’t move far enough away to “miss out” on anything, but I am far enough away to be just inconvenient enough that I don’t get to the actual city more than a couple of times a year.  Eastern suburbs tho…..

What has no meaning for me though?  I will second Inky’s sentiment regarding sponge candy and add that Dyngus Day has no meaning for me.  Grew up in Cheektowarsaw, married a Polish girl.  Dyngus day is ***** stupid as far as I am concerned.

• Shocked 1

Moved away in 92. 

I missed the multiple day after gloom of the last 2 of the 4 super bowl losses. However, I did watch them on TV.

I miss:

The food; Chivetta's Chicken(@doohickie), Teds Hot Dogs, Andersons, and the many different quality Pizza and Wing joints. 

Boating (fishing and water skiing) on Lake Erie and the Niagara River.

Tobogganing at Chestnut Ridge Park and skiing at Kissing Bridge and Ellicottville.

Seeing bands at the Belle Star Lodge and the Continental.

Edited by R_Dudley
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I miss the sound of gunfire and screeching of tires on the East side of Buffalo late at night.

My dog would run to the front window wagging his tail. Everytime a shot was fired he would duck. He was so cute....

Now, *that's entertainment*

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Another thing I know existed but I never heard of it was Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken.  I may very well have had some at some point, but it wasn't branded then I don't think as it is now.

I couldn't imagine living without it.   When I smell it wafting in the air for the first time when the weather finally breaks I know it's time to get the patio furniture out. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I came into this thread thinking that this thread was going to go a totally different direction and talk about some of the stuff that Buffalo hypes but feels silly. I came prepared to answer a question nobody asked me, so here it goes. 

Tim Hortons- Their coffee stinks. I have never missed it.
Sahlens hot dogs- Don't get me wrong, I love Ted's. But when it comes to brands a lot of regions have their local purveyor and most taste pretty similar. 

As not to pile on Buffalo, I live in the capital region now. 

Stewarts - If K-Mart were a gas station it would be Stewarts. People who hype Stewarts have never been to a Wawa (The Wegmans of gas stations/corner stores)

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’ve lived in five states now and I’ve yet to find any hot dogs close in quality to sahlens. If you buy beef sahlens, maybe, but the pork blend can’t be touched. 

Wawa is also super overrated. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I’ve lived in five states now and I’ve yet to find any hot dogs close in quality to sahlens. If you buy beef sahlens, maybe, but the pork blend can’t be touched. 

Our local Buffalo bar here in Fort Worth "imports" Sahlens from Buffalo.  When the Bills came to play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving 2019, Buffalo Bros grilled hundreds of Sahlens at the tailgate party and gave them away to Bills fans.  It was awesome.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I cringe every time I hear the name bills mafia. 

Wasn't this invented by Bills fans? From across the border I had no idea people hated the term... Though I do see how it might be overused.

When Bills fans come together and donate the crap out of various charities, I thought attributing this to the Bills Mafia always sounded kind of cool. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.