Tage likely to miss significant time per Granato

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

As if the Tuch injury wasn't enough...

Dylan, please find your form.

Shooters have gloves with shorter wrist guards to give them more touch with a shot.  The reason a lot of defencemen and defencive forwards have "stone hands" is because their wrist guards are long enough to preclude fine motor control.

Yes. I understand that there are minor variations in gloves. However, I am not aware of reinforced, extra padding, puck stopping gloves versus gloves with inferior padding.

11 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Comrie has played better than Levi. They should send Levi to Rochester for some seasoning and go with UPL and Comrie.

Levi did not play well yesterday.  UPL did not play well in Pittsburgh.  Comrie is broken.

UPL got a SO against the Avs.  Levi was the 1st star against the Wild.  Comrie is broken.

Yeah, why don't they run with Comrie?  🤪

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Yes. I understand that there are minor variations in gloves. However, I am not aware of reinforced, extra padding, puck stopping gloves versus gloves with inferior padding.

To some extent, there are.  I used to get gloves with a reinforced thumb and thicker wrist protection.  I tested the gloves for strength in those areas because I played defence.  I think it varies by manufacturer.

Addendum: now that it finally hits me, I think what @SDS meant was to ask if each manufacturer varies the protection on the gloves.  Not that I know of, but I imagine custom reinforcements are available.

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Levi did not play well yesterday.  UPL did not play well in Pittsburgh.  Comrie is broken.

UPL got a SO against the Avs.  Levi was the 1st star against the Wild.  Comrie is broken.

Yeah, why don't they run with Comrie?  🤪

Now you’re just acting like a troll. Comrie played well before he got injured. He’s coming back this weekend. He AND UPL have had a better season than Levi, and should split the games unless one clearly plays better, while Levi gets the majority of games in Rochester.

45 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Now you’re just acting like a troll. Comrie played well before he got injured. He’s coming back this weekend. He AND UPL have had a better season than Levi, and should split the games unless one clearly plays better, while Levi gets the majority of games in Rochester.

Comrie played well last year until injury.  And then looked horrible for about 2 months before finally regaining form.

Would not rely on Comrie until he's actually demonstrated he's back to where he was prior to the injury.  

None of the 3 have played like a consistant starting quality goalie.  Levi played well against the Loafs and very well against the Wild.  He misplayed the initial shot on the 1st goal against last night but (much like the other 2 goalies) got no help from his D who were in position to bail him out.  None of the goalies the Sabres currently have would've been expected to stop the 2nd or 3rd goal last night.

Have already stated (and was saying it at the game last night) that Granato should've put UPL in to start the 2nd to see if he might be able to shame them into playing well for their Captain's big night.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

It took 6 months for my ulna, scaphoid, and radius to “heal.” That was in 2011 and I never regained full mobility, range of motion, or flexibility. It can also be pretty noticeable while playing hockey. 

Maybe this is a net positive. Tage is super talented but could use a little less dangle and a little more straight forward play. Maybe he becomes a guy who crashes the net. Just to big and strong to get/move out of the way? 

I don't know. Everything stinks right now. 

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Maybe this is a net positive. Tage is super talented but could use a little less dangle and a little more straight forward play. Maybe he becomes a guy who crashes the net. Just to big and strong to get/move out of the way? 

I don't know. Everything stinks right now. 

I remember we all begged for this back when he was struggling (before he went down to Rochester) and it never happened and it never will. He's just not that guy. IF he used that body to hit people and drive the net and so on he'd be one of the most dominant players in the league but it's just not who he is and I don't see it ever happening. He's effective as that long reach, control space, snap the shot from 10 feet away guy but expecting him to become anything else is unlikely. 

The PK thing is an interesting problem as I get the logic. Teams use big D with long reach usually. Put your big forward with long reach out there makes sense, Also have the possibility of a quick break counter attack shorty. But I'm not sure they have spent much time on the ins and outs of how to be a good defender and minimize your risks of injury. Defenders do tend to get banged up, it's the nature of the job, but there are ways to play to minimize the risks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Comrie played well last year until injury.  And then looked horrible for about 2 months before finally regaining form.

Would not rely on Comrie until he's actually demonstrated he's back to where he was prior to the injury.  

None of the 3 have played like a consistant starting quality goalie.  Levi played well against the Loafs and very well against the Wild.  He misplayed the initial shot on the 1st goal against last night but (much like the other 2 goalies) got no help from his D who were in position to bail him out.  None of the goalies the Sabres currently have would've been expected to stop the 2nd or 3rd goal last night.

Have already stated (and was saying it at the game last night) that Granato should've put UPL in to start the 2nd to see if he might be able to shame them into playing well for their Captain's big night.

I’ll add to your comments the fact that Comrie has played a grand total of 3 games so far this year, a rounded up total of 147 minutes. I’m not really sure how anyone is going to make much of a conclusion based on that. 

And that completely ignores the possibility that he may in fact be made out of glass. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Top 6 actually looks potentially, pretty fine without Tage. The bottom 6 is yikes and our lack of nhl F depth coming into the season is really hurting right now. Just adding Tage and bumping down one guy isn’t fixing it (and that’s obviously accounting for Krebs who is expected to play). 

Still, if we can get MVP level play from Dahlin, and Cozens picks up the pace, there’s no reason this team’s focus should stray at all from making the playoffs this season 

I would love a fortification to bide time until Tage is back, and the message the GM would send by making it - but we know that’s not coming, and it’s not how Adams does his job. We will have to be saved from within. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Top 6 actually looks potentially, pretty fine without Tage. The bottom 6 is yikes and our lack of nhl F depth coming into the season is really hurting right now. Just adding Tage and bumping down one guy isn’t fixing it (and that’s obviously accounting for Krebs who is expected to play). 

Still, if we can get MVP level play from Dahlin, and Cozens picks up the pace, there’s no reason this team’s focus should stray at all from making the playoffs this season 

I would love a fortification to bide time until Tage is back, and the message the GM would send by making it - but we know that’s not coming, and it’s not how Adams does his job. We will have to be saved from within. 

I would hardly call that top 6 pretty fine.   Happy to see Tuch back though and I hope Benson can do something to help us. 

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would hardly call that top 6 pretty fine.   Happy to see Tuch back though and I hope Benson can do something to help us. 

Trying to be more positive today following the spanking I received yesterday from senior board member Liger 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Really wish they'd've completed a move for 1 more top 4 D-man.  (Among other off-season moves.)  Kind of rough that RJ2 is being given the responsibility of being Power's steadying partner.  If Johnson is going to be in the top 4, believe they might be better off pairing him with Dahlin and using an actual defensive D-man (namely Samuelsson) as the calming influence on that second pairing.

Is Jokiharju working through an injury or is he now 7 on the depth chart?  If it's the latter, did not see that coming.

Also, mildly surprised, but not disappointed in the least, that Olofsson is on the 3rd line rather than the 2nd line.  Thought Granato might bump him up to Mittelstadt's line with him coming off the 2 goal showing.  

Funny how Charlie McAvoy was the culprit injuring Thompson on both the cut on the foot and firing the puck at Thompson breaking his forearm area. I hope Granato sees the error of his ways and takes Tage off PK. He's too vauable a scorer for that.

Edited by Quint

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.