Jost, Krebs and the Bottom 6 Problem!

GASabresIUFAN

Krebs has played all 9 games so far and has zero pts. FO% 48%  -1  RFA

Jost has played in 6 games so far and has a goal and 1 assist.  FO% over 52%. +3 UFA

IMHO Jost has outplayed Krebs so far this season.  I also haven’t seen much play making from Krebs which is supposed to be his forte.  

With Benson, Savoie, Kulich and Rosen already pushing for NHL time what is their future this season and beyond? 

For this season, Krebs could soon be on the bench.  I think the Sabres plan to rotate Benson and Savoie (3pts in 3 AHL games) in Buffalo until the year end and they can play for team Canada.  Savoie is going to be back with the Sabres in a week.  Rosen (4 goals) and Kulich (6 goals) already have 9 pts each in 7 AHL games and are rapidly earning a call up.

If Jost and Krebs don’t produce, the Sabres will give someone else a shot.

Obviously with nearly 90% of the season left there is still time for both guys to earn a new deal, but they have to be looking over their shoulders.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The 4th center isn’t on the team yet. 

Say there is no “4th line” in their future 

just roll 4 solid skilled lines.  

is there anything wrong with a future Centre spine of 

Thompson
Cozens
Mittlestadt
Kulich

????

you then have plug them in with

Tuch Greenway

JJP. Quinn

Rosen.  Savoie

Benson.      xx

the last winger would be someone in the Greenway / Tuch mold 

big , Fast, veteran who doesn’t  mind throwing their weight around and is defensively responsible    But has more offensive upside than Girgs 

krebs, Girgs and Jost can battle to be the 13th forward if they are still around 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 4

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Krebs yet. Doesn't his career arc match up up CM's - who at this point most were ready to trade for a bag of pucks? To be clear, I'm not suggesting Krebs has Casey's upside. But Krebs upside may be that of a high-end 4C - which may be the only spot for him if TT, DC and CM remain as the top 3 center spine. If one of the prospects supplants him in the near future then the prospects are developing nicely.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Thompson
Cozens
Mittlestadt
Kulich

????

you then have plug them in with

Tuch Greenway

JJP. Quinn

Rosen.  Savoie

Benson.      xx

the last winger would be someone in the Greenway / Tuch mold 

big , Fast, veteran who doesn’t  mind throwing their weight around and is defensively responsible    But has more offensive upside than Girgs 

krebs, Girgs and Jost can battle to be the 13th forward if they are still around 

Of course they need to find room for the eventual arrival of the Russian bear Poltapov in 25/26 

• Haha (+1) 1

Hate to say it, but I think Krebs is a bust. He's not even getting good results on the 4th line in the eye test, analytics and counting stats.

He's largely been ineffective outside a few bursts, especially more during his first year here. Every chance he's had with talent has been a huge disappointment in my eyes. I think he's a tweener and/or a decent 13th forward moving forward. He may get marginally better but overall has been quite honestly, a terrible piece in that trade 😞

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Thompson
Cozens
Mittlestadt
Kulich

????

I think this is the plan, and I like the concept of rolling four balanced lines that can score. 

I was thinking the same thing as the earlier post saying they were not ready to throw in the towel yet on Krebs, and compared him to Casey Mittelstadt.  Krebs is only 22, and I think Casey was in a similar spot at age 22 (2 years ago).  First round draft pick who has played in the AHL and NHL, has shown out in spurts, but has not played at a consistent high level.  Casey has developed into a very good NHL player and Krebs could follow a similar development plan.  He has the skillset and he has the effort (I like his grit - a smaller guy, but not afraid to mix it up and drop the gloves), but he just hasn't put it all together on a regular basis.

That said, I do agree with what's been said earlier in the thread - the Sabres have several strong forward prospects in the system, so if another one is developing at a faster pace than Krebs and is ready, it wouldn't be the worst thing to move on from Krebs in favor of the other prospect.  When he came to Buffalo, things were still pretty bleak, but Krebs (and Tuch) embraced the move and have been part of the turnaround.  He seems like a good kid, so I would like to see him become a consistently good NHL player in Buffalo or elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 4

Expecting Jost stays the 13th F until they're at a point they'd lose one of the younger guys to waivers trying to send him down 1 more time.  At which time, he becomes somebody else's Hinostroza.

Krebs is definitely on the bubble once some more of the youth is ready to step up.

Olofsson is the 1st off the island.  Okposo isn't far behind.  Krebs on paper has more talent than Girgensons does, but the games aren't played on paper and Z is still in his late 20s and a leader on the team.  Unless one of the regular current top 9 skaters gets moved in a true hockey transaction (either upgrading G (not happening anytime soon) or (more likely) adding a true top 4 defender), when Savoie/Benson, Kulich, Rosen, & Rousek are ready to make the squad; Krebs would seem to be the next guy on the short list to be moved to make room.

Am still intrigued by the 'concept of Kozak' and wonder if he'll grow into the 4C role or if that will have to come from outside the organization.  (Haven't caught any Amerks action yet this year, so no idea how he's looked so far.)

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expecting Jost stays the 13th F until they're at a point they'd lose one of the younger guys to waivers trying to send him down 1 more time.  At which time, he becomes somebody else's Hinostroza.

Krebs is definitely on the bubble once some more of the youth is ready to step up.

Olofsson is the 1st off the island.  Okposo isn't far behind.  Krebs on paper has more talent than Girgensons does, but the games aren't played on paper and Z is still in his late 20s and a leader on the team.  Unless one of the regular current top 9 skaters gets moved in a true hockey transaction (either upgrading G (not happening anytime soon) or (more likely) adding a true top 4 defender), when Savoie/Benson, Kulich, Rosen, & Rousek are ready to make the squad; Krebs would seem to be the next guy on the short list to be moved to make room.

Am still intrigued by the 'concept of Kozak' and wonder if he'll grow into the 4C role or if that will have to come from outside the organization.  (Haven't caught any Amerks action yet this year, so no idea how he's looked so far.)

I don't think Kozak ever wears a Sabres uniform in regular season games. 

1 minute ago, Hank said:

I don't think Kozak ever wears a Sabres uniform in regular season games. 

You could very well be right about that.

And didn't see much from him last year.  But, personally, am not ready to write off a 20 yo that isn't expected to be a scorer that's only in the 2nd year of his ELC.  Figure he'd be due on the big club about 3 seasons from now IF he's going to make it.  A lot can happen in that time.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think this is the plan, and I like the concept of rolling four balanced lines that can score. 

I remember at one point about midway through the season that the player with the highest ice time was under 20:00 and the player with the least ice time was over 10:00.  The Sabres had a lot of PP time where they played 4 forwards and the D on the PP were often Numminen and Campbell, the third pairing.  That is balance.

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

I really miss the Hiney-Stroka.

Good post, by the way.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Interesting but good dilemma.  

On one hand what if they were not patient with Tage and Casey?   Maybe 23 to 24 is the age you see a young forward really break out?  

Jost is already 25 and had stints with Colorado and Minnesota.   He is what he is - he is most likely always gonna be 4th line/ spare forward guy with some skill and some defensive checking ability.   He is a guy that is good in the room too, but I don't see him lasting too much longer.  I do like the guy though, he will work hard for you.  

Krebs is still 22 (until Jan) and might have more upside than Jost.  This is the year he has to show more because Benson is making this team, if not this season then next.   Savoie might be on that same level as Benson - we shall see how he looks soon.   Kulich and Rosen are going to get a look too.  That is 4 Adams picked first rounders that will get a fair look no doubt.   I actually think that the AHL time that Kulich and Rosen are getting is going to benefit them a lot.  

Krebs, even as a 4C, is going to have to generate some offense to fight these guys off.  Krebs could be the later bloomer that gets away, but we have so many forwards it is inevitable that some of them are going to be NHL players somewhere else.  

I just don't want to see a mentality with Adams and DG were we are trying guys out all season and still in a developmental mode.  Its time to win, play whoever best helps us do that.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The biggest issue with Krebs vs Mitts and TNT is time.  When Mitts and TNT were coming up the organization was in development mode. Now the team is in playoff mode and everyone is expected to contribute.

Krebs has THAT timing issue that you mentioned, that they're in win NOW mode so they can't put his development ahead of the team's success.

But he also has the timing of there being at least 6 legit prospects that could all be ready to get real looks within the next 2 seasons and there aren't many open slots above his on the team.  When Mittelstadt and then Thompson were initially getting pencilled in as the 1 C, there weren't 9 potentially top 9 guys on the roster nor were there 2 lines worth of guys chomping at the bit with legit chances to get looks.  

There wasn't as much competitition for jobs when Casey and Tage were being given opportunities to show whether they were up to the task.  It's a good problem for the team to have, but Adams will have to be adept as he decides who to keep and how to get max values for the ones he doesn't have a dressing room stall for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.