GDT: Islanders @ Sabres, Oct. 21, 2023 - 7pm EDT, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts has been our best forward ytd.  

Apparently he may have been our best forward for a while.

From the Athletic

Mittelstadt has become Buffalo’s best playmaker. Since Feb. 1, Mittelstadt leads the Sabres in assists (26), primary assists (15) and is tied for the lead in points (35). That’s a big enough sample size to suggest he deserves to stay between Skinner and Tuch for a bit longer.

• Like (+1) 4

The Skinner - Mitts - Tuch line had better measurables in almost every way than Skinner - Tage - Tuch. This is not a slight to the line with Tage, which sustained elite performance for an incredibly long period of time. Mitts' stint was obviously shorter since it came so late, there is no telling that they would have been capable of maintaining that pace without actually seeing it happen. But great to see them pick up where they left off, and it's a great option to have in the bag when you need to shake things up. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Skinner - Mitts - Tuch line had better measurables in almost every way than Skinner - Tage - Tuch. This is not a slight to the line with Tage, which sustained elite performance for an incredibly long period of time. Mitts' stint was obviously shorter since it came so late, there is no telling that they would have been capable of maintaining that pace without actually seeing it happen. But great to see them pick up where they left off, and it's a great option to have in the bag when you need to shake things up. 

I think one thing everybody needs to get over is that if everybody is producing who gives a shirt. 

The top two lines had a great night. Mitts helps Skinner/Tuch. Greenway helps Thompson/Cozens. 

We should view it as a positive. As high as we are in Cozens and Thompson, we can be even better with a little more balance to everybody’s skill sets. 

LFG

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've said it before and I will say it again, they should wear the red and black all the time. 

idk what it is and it kind of boggles the mind but they always play better and look like a different team wearing these jerseys. We even won a fight and I can't remember the last time that happened. Push back, net front, physical play, just a lot of good hockey. 

I will give it a little asterisk because I'm not sure if they were this good and made the Isles look bad or the Isles were just that bad tonight but I think if they had played like this every game this season I could have saved myself a lot of typing. They did a lot of things right in any event. 

Cozens=Thompson-Greenway are a really big line and if they stay together and keep playing big they will be a force. 

Happy for a change. 

^ This is 100% spot on

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't know if I've watched enough hockey to state this as an opinion, so I'll ask it as a question: is Levi the right goalie for this team right now, with how they seem to want to play?

Watching them it seems like they're built around pushing the action--last night they were the best they've looked this year, and it reminded me of last spring. Their scoring spree in the second was predicated on just constantly getting down ice and throwing shots at net. I guess every team does that to some extent, but it seems like it results in scenarios where--when it breaks down--the opponents end up with some sphincter-clenching shots on our net because we've been caught unawares. And those seem to be literally the worst possible shot for Levi to block, which then end up doubly hurting us as balloon poppers, and our young, aggressive team suddenly looks timid and defensive, and no longer pushes the action. 

There were 2 or 3 shots last night where I thought to myself, Levi would have let that by. 

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong. 

1 hour ago, BearWithME said:

I don't know if I've watched enough hockey to state this as an opinion, so I'll ask it as a question: is Levi the right goalie for this team right now, with how they seem to want to play?

Watching them it seems like they're built around pushing the action--last night they were the best they've looked this year, and it reminded me of last spring. Their scoring spree in the second was predicated on just constantly getting down ice and throwing shots at net. I guess every team does that to some extent, but it seems like it results in scenarios where--when it breaks down--the opponents end up with some sphincter-clenching shots on our net because we've been caught unawares. And those seem to be literally the worst possible shot for Levi to block, which then end up doubly hurting us as balloon poppers, and our young, aggressive team suddenly looks timid and defensive, and no longer pushes the action. 

There were 2 or 3 shots last night where I thought to myself, Levi would have let that by. 

If the Sabres could eliminate own-goals while Levi is on net, his GAA would be halved. I don't think he can be blamed for those. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BearWithME said:

Everything about the team looked pretty good last night, so it’s hard not to make this inference. And Levi did struggle against the Flames, imo. (Made breakaway stops, but flubbed others for goals.)

The evaluators clearly see special traits in Levi. His athleticism is obvious. I think it’s a safe bet that be will be a good pro goalie. But he’s 21. Relying on him as the 1 was always a gamble.

If Comrie can regain his form, it’d be a huge shot in the arm. Thing is,  Comrie’s track record suggests he’s good for ~25 (30?) games. Can Levi give average NHL goaltending for the other 50+?

Also, spaketh not of UPL. For the love of God.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Of course my birthday dinner gets in the way of what sounds like,  a great Sabres evening. 

The Sabres gave you a birthday gift. A complete game. They were all over the Island, and I mean draped on them like a bunch of 30 yr old housewives at a bachelorette party. They were swinging the goodies all over the Islanders nose and chin.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BearWithME said:

Levi is a much better prospect than the other 2 goalies.  Comrie played well last night, he made the big saves early to keep us in it, but overall we dominated the last 30 against a tired team.  

Levi has not been the problem.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I found out Comrie can play Goalie. His own player scored on him and the opposition did not. 

" We are DOOOOMED if Levi doesn't play every game, since a major trade for a goalie I HEARD OF isn't made ! "   The summer narrative that would not die. 

I'm optimistic about Comrie too, but it's way too early for a victory lap here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.