GDT: Islanders @ Sabres, Oct. 21, 2023 - 7pm EDT, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

I've said it before and I will say it again, they should wear the red and black all the time. 

idk what it is and it kind of boggles the mind but they always play better and look like a different team wearing these jerseys. We even won a fight and I can't remember the last time that happened. Push back, net front, physical play, just a lot of good hockey. 

I will give it a little asterisk because I'm not sure if they were this good and made the Isles look bad or the Isles were just that bad tonight but I think if they had played like this every game this season I could have saved myself a lot of typing. They did a lot of things right in any event. 

Cozens=Thompson-Greenway are a really big line and if they stay together and keep playing big they will be a force. 

Happy for a change. 

• Like (+1) 5

That was the Comrie that was promised.

Dahlin and TT played like stars.

As others have noted, JJP-Krebs-VO was a very credible line.  IMHO Krebs' natural slot in this lineup is #3C and JJP has taken a step up.  He is continuously forcing the play into the O-zone.

I was starting to complain about Mitts in the 2nd period, and then he took over the game.

VO and Jost both had about 12 min of ice time and Zemgus had 13.  The other forwards were all between 14:10 and 18:18.

That's 3 games in a row they've played pretty well, and improving each game.  Beat the Habs on Monday and we're back to DeLuca .500.  And if Comrie plays again on Monday and plays well -- which I think will happen -- it will provide a major confidence booster, both on the ice and on Sabrespace.

• Like (+1) 8

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My favorite play is on the PK when his stick broke his first reaction was not to abandon the Isle with the puck but rather run him into the boards

And how he busted ass to get back to the bench when the opportunity came up is another example of his experience and leadership. He's a great addition.

Loved tonight. No need to say much more than I hope they realize that's how you have to play hockey. Isles were on a back to back though. I need to that kind of hockey from the Sabres on a fresher team.  But, great that they could set a solid example of how to play tonight.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I knew this game was over when Tucher dropped the gloves. The boss lady is on the west coast, I grabbed a Moe.saic 4 pack, grilled a steak and watched alone at home. AT throwing punches got me fired up which fired up with the doggos.

Special shout out to Comrie who played well. I’d like some more rebound control, but the defensive pairings were in sync and cleared quickly.

So happy the team played a fun, watchable,  fiery game. 

Edited by Mango
Effing auto correct…also beer
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Ok, prove me mocking you for wanting compher. Where's the post for that? Let's see your facts. 

There's a bunch of posts from this summer of others saying give olofsson a chance and personally I didn't want to and posted that. 

Also prove the Yzerman plan worked. Did they win the cup? President trophy? Eastern conference? Have they beaten the Sabres?

get over yourself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As others have noted, JJP-Krebs-VO was a very credible line.  IMHO Krebs' natural slot in this lineup is #3C and JJP has taken a step up.  He is continuously forcing the play into the O-zone.

I was starting to complain about Mitts in the 2nd period, and then he took over the game.

VO and Jost both had about 12 min of ice time and Zemgus had 13.  The other forwards were all between 14:10 and 18:18.

That's 3 games in a row they've played pretty well, and improving each game.  Beat the Habs on Monday and we're back to DeLuca .500.  And if Comrie plays again on Monday and plays well -- which I think will happen -- it will provide a major confidence booster, both on the ice and on Sabrespace.

@Taro T

• Vomit 1

Not going back to read the thread, so much of this has likely already been stated.

Why couldn't Johnson have chastised them a week and a half ago?  They really took care of their own end much better than they had the 1st 4 games.  They also were driving to the net, a lot.  Even Olofsson was found there.  And he, like the rest of is teammates, had a very good game.

The 4th line did a great job of setting the tone at the start of the 1st 2 periods.

That 2nd period was by far their best period of the season.

For those that don't like Mittelstadt getting time on the "1st line," don't know how to break it to you; those top 2 lines were both generating a lot of chances and we'll probably see them again at least through the next couple of games.

Cozens finally managed to get away from being snakebit in regulation.  Thought getting the OT winner would get him going, but he still was having pucks hop around on him when he was in great spots.  Now that he got this one, am looking forward to him going on a bit of a tear.  Playing with Thompson and Greenway, he'll keep getting those chances.

The D were very solid tonight and kept the front of the crease pretty clear.

Comrie looked very good and deserved a better fate.  Thompson couldn't get the puck out of the zone which led to the scrambly play which led to the icing which led to the faceoff loss which led to Clifton elbowing the puck into the net.  Hopefully Clifton doesn't get a complex from scoring his 2nd goal for the Aisles this year.  Other than that, he played well.

Could go on with the superlatives, but leave it at a good game.  Play like this on Monday, and they'll be 3-3 heading into Otterland.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

"net front presence" 🤣 

Oh, he’s a presence alright. Fitting that it went off Clifton seeing as how it was yet another of his un-poised, boneheaded plays when he iced the puck with absolutely NO reason to do so. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Umm, beat the Habs and they're at an NHL 0.500.  😎

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Rico scores with the bolded. 

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've said it before and I will say it again, they should wear the red and black all the time. 

idk what it is and it kind of boggles the mind but they always play better and look like a different team wearing these jerseys. We even won a fight and I can't remember the last time that happened. Push back, net front, physical play, just a lot of good hockey. 

I will give it a little asterisk because I'm not sure if they were this good and made the Isles look bad or the Isles were just that bad tonight but I think if they had played like this every game this season I could have saved myself a lot of typing. They did a lot of things right in any event. 

Cozens=Thompson-Greenway are a really big line and if they stay together and keep playing big they will be a force. 

Happy for a change. 

I agree; but I think the standard road whites are so good. Classic Sabres look. 

I am fully behind the goat heads at home. But I like our white road jerseys the way they are. 

Edited by Mango
Beer typo. Goat heads at home. Standard whites on the road.
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ... said:

I did not get the sense the JJP line was a lesser line than the other two offensive lines. They were equally as dangerous.

True, the bottom 6 will evolve just like my Sunday Sugo.  It takes time, we could see some young players from Rochester later in the year that help us too. 

Edited by Pimlach

Huge team effort tonight for the Buffalo Sabres in front of Eric Comrie who played well against the New York Islanders when called upon. I am concerned about Tage Thompson you can see he is really pressing. Big game Monday at home against the long time rival Montreal Canadians before the Sabres go on a long road trip in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Huge team effort tonight for the Buffalo Sabres in front of Eric Comrie who played well against the New York Islanders when called upon. I am concerned about Tage Thompson you can see he is really pressing. Big game Monday at home against the long time rival Montreal Canadians before the Sabres go on a long road trip in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Tage is ready to erupt.  It will happen and when it does we go on a win streak. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Umm, beat the Habs and they're at an NHL 0.500.  😎

Early in the season it’s still possible to witness a Deluca/NHL eclipse.  Good thing your emoji was wearing his shades.

More importantly, you are 100% right about them driving to the net tonight.  That was great to see.  They are showing elements of a more physical game on both ends.  

Mitts has been our best forward ytd.  

I liked the heavy 1st line tonight.  Greenway created a lot of space for TNT and Cozens.  

Comrie played his best game for us since early last season.

Great all-around effort, but it was against a team on the back half of back to back.  

I’ll feel better if they bring forth a similar effort against Mon on Monday.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts has been our best forward ytd.  

I liked the heavy 1st line tonight.  Greenway created a lot of space for TNT and Cozens.  

Comrie played his best game for us since early last season.

Great all-around effort, but it was against a team on the back half of back to back.  

I’ll feel better if they bring forth a similar effort against Mon on Monday.  

Good point.  The isles were tired and we keep draining them.  

Beating Montreal will be huge and we will do it.  Put the Black Goat Heads on.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.