Zach Benson's NHL tryout, 2023

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Only having 8 guys above 40% is something. Benson obviously doesn't have it as easy as it was in the preseason, but his instincts are still shining. How many points would it take through 9 games to have to keep him up?

It would be ridiculous sending him down if he’s near a point a game still by then.  But just or more importantly is he seems to be playing a strong defensive game and is very strong positionally.  

Unless he goes through a big slump or gets hurt it seems hard to imagine he’s going back down.  He’s done everything asked of him and has looked impressive doing it.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So let's hope Savoie takes VO spot when healthy 

The 71-24-77 line isn’t working at all. 
they can not run them back out on Tuesday   
Not sure if Krebs or Jost would be a better fit.  Feel it could be Krebs with his passing ability.   
there was a reason why 71 sat out the last few games of last season, hope the Sabres remember 

30 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

8 X 8 😆

I mean I wouldn't doubt the 8. But let's not get carried away with the 8.

Seriously I appreciated the effort and hustle. The skill goes without saying.

Are we back to the 85% notion tho? He's obv supercharged to prove himself. Can he look like this in March?

He's 18, I know.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

I think he is basically a lock to be a good NHL player, and I think he has a very good chance of being a star.  That’s saying a lot for an 18 year old.

He should stick with the team.

Yeah he has nothing to learn against kids .

He's really looked very Comfortable adjusting to the NHL

I'm happy we didn't trade the pick now 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Only having 8 guys above 40% is something. Benson obviously doesn't have it as easy as it was in the preseason, but his instincts are still shining. How many points would it take through 9 games to have to keep him up?

Obvious you can’t just go off of points.  If he keeps playing like this, or close to it, you have to keep him.  No winger on the team has really been better than him so far.

49 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

The 71-24-77 line isn’t working at all. 
they can not run them back out on Tuesday   
Not sure if Krebs or Jost would be a better fit.  Feel it could be Krebs with his passing ability.   
there was a reason why 71 sat out the last few games of last season, hope the Sabres remember 

VO just kills lines once he's off cozens will go off 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean I wouldn't doubt the 8. But let's not get carried away with the 8.

Seriously I appreciated the effort and hustle. The skill goes without saying.

Are we back to the 85% notion tho? He's obv supercharged to prove himself. Can he look like this in March?

He's 18, I know.

Agree. Let's see if this energy bunny is still there over the long haul but I'm loving what I've seen.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Benson is definitely looking like he belongs. Refreshing to see the hunger, I am hoping some other players on the team are paying attention. They could learn a thing or 2 about giving 100% all of the time from this youngster.

This was the year we were supposed to be able to shift these guys in to provide support to an already well-oiled machine. As of now, yet again, we are asking them the carry the mail. But, only 2 games. I’d imagine our top guys start shifting the balance a bit 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Whatever the number is, it’s relative to the rest of the roster 

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

8 X 8 😆

Legit lol’ed

• Thanks (+1) 1

If he can play 3rd line minutes and make that line productive he has to stay.  The top line needs to figure it out and as others have said... 71 needs to go.

At this point I am a huge fan of a 71, 10, 1 package that brings back a defender.  Put Krebs with 77 and 24 and let Jost take 4th line.

It's clear Olofsson cannot play the Sabres game.  Jokiharju is just too clueless out there... and UPL.. well.. anything to get a better player back is fine by me. 3 goalies cannot be the game all season.

Was a VO defender as well… but if he isn’t scoring goals or getting assists, his defense is a real liability…

Sabres have too many assets that can move into his place for them to stay patient until he starts scoring…

Know he is very well liked by teammates but a change of systems may do wonders for him… Look what it did for Eichel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.