Practice Lines 10/11/23

Brawndo

I just hope that the benching at the end of last season alarmed Olofsson enough that he doesn't take his position on the roster for granted, and his placement on the second line inspires him to play up to that level.  Somehow I don't think Cozens and Peterka will tolerate a passenger on their line.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 7

Just now, Taro T said:

Any word on what move the Sabres are going to make now that Savoie appears to be healthy?

14 F's

7 D

3 G's.

Pretty sure that's 24 and one over the limit.

Some one will tweek something in practice - my bet is that it's UPL, but there is no merit in dressing 14 Fs.  Someone has to go to IR or something.  Anyone waiver exempt?

KA was on Sabres live and they asked him about Savoie playing in Rochester. All he said was "it's complicated and I don't want to comment, but we're talking to the league to see what our options are"

So it sounds like they are hoping to send him to Rochester to have a rehab and buy themselves some time. Likely he'll stay on IR until they figure out what their options are.

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

KA was on Sabres live and they asked him about Savoie playing in Rochester. All he said was "it's complicated and I don't want to comment, but we're talking to the league to see what our options are"

So it sounds like they are hoping to send him to Rochester to have a rehab and buy themselves some time. Likely he'll stay on IR until they figure out what their options are.

My guess would be they're trying to buy enough time to see if Benson should stay beyond the nine games.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I wonder if they’re pushing for the Shane Wright exemption?

Wright is 4 days younger than Savoie, who missed the birthday AHL cutoff by one day. Advantage Savoie

Savoie played 22 WHL games vs 58 for Wright in the OHL in 19/20. Advantage Wright

Wright got credited for an OHL season in the Covid year 20/21 even though the OHL did not play. Savoie played 34 games in the USHL. The WHL had a “developmental” season of 24 games. Advantage Savoie for playing but the CHL might be upset he jumped to another league. Draw.

Savoie played 65 WHL games, Wright 63 OHL games in 21/22. Draw.

Savoie played 62 WHL games, Wright 20 OHL games in 22/23. Wright bounced around from NHL to AHL to WJHC but he still was short by a few games to hit the CHL season threshold. Advantage Savoie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I wonder if they’re pushing for the Shane Wright exemption?

Wright is 4 days younger than Savoie, who missed the birthday AHL cutoff by one day. Advantage Savoie

Savoie played 22 WHL games vs 58 for Wright in the OHL in 19/20. Advantage Wright

Wright got credited for an OHL season in the Covid year 20/21 even though the OHL did not play. Savoie played 34 games in the USHL. The WHL had a “developmental” season of 24 games. Advantage Savoie for playing but the CHL might be upset he jumped to another league. Draw.

Savoie played 65 WHL games, Wright 63 OHL games in 21/22. Draw.

Savoie played 62 WHL games, Wright 20 OHL games in 22/23. Wright bounced around from NHL to AHL to WJHC but he still was short by a few games to hit the CHL season threshold. Advantage Savoie.

They need to make a rule where 19yr old players can go to the AHL. Each NHL team may assign 1 per season. 

As long as they have 3 years of CHL service.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They need to make a rule where 19yr old players can go to the AHL. Each NHL team may assign 1 per season. 

Yeah, it's just so weird to me that the age limit doesn't match the age qualifications for drafting - like if you're drafted and played one more season in juniors, you should be good to go to the AHL (or whereever)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What do you propose the NHL offer the CHL in the next transfer agreement negotiations to make that, or something similar, a reality?

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What do you propose the NHL offer the CHL in the next transfer agreement negotiations to make that, or something similar, a reality?

Nothing. The CHL can either accept it or the NHL can ignore all agreements with the CHL. 

How about the NHL says it will not change from this agreement for the next 50 years or something like that? So the CHL knows this won't turn into all their talent being sent to the AHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Why do they have to offer them anything? 

Why?  Because in a legitimate negotiation away from the status quo, in order to get the other party to give up something it is typical for them to get offered something.

The CHL sees what's in it for the AHL squads (the majority of which are owned by their NHL parent squad); but might not see what's in it for them to have the Savoie's no longer playing a 4th year in their leagues.  They are definitely going to ask WIIFM to lose the services of those players; what is the reply to that question?

If these kids are signing contracts that would otherwise legally obligate them to remain in the leagues they originally signed to then obviously there needs to be an agreement in place to avoid a cluster-#$% of legal wrangling. Agreements require negotiation and negotiations in most cases involve one party giving up something in order for the other party to themselves give something up.

Edited by ...
May I momma dogface to the banana patch?
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Clifton with Johnson is probably a good idea. Clifton certainly hasn't learned (?) how we play yet and imo it's a failure by the coaching staff to play him enough in preseason and get him fully integrated. Either that or he just can't make the adjustment cause things were so different in Boston. Pairing him with another guy more used to a shall we say traditional style will be good as he figures out his new teammates. 

The lines are pretty much what you'd expect keeping continuity with last season. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I just hope that the benching at the end of last season alarmed Olofsson enough that he doesn't take his position on the roster for granted, and his placement on the second line inspires him to play up to that level.  Somehow I don't think Cozens and Peterka will tolerate a passenger on their line.

I would switch him with Benson but that's just me. VO is a great shot on PP that's his game in total. Third line I'd be okay with for now until Quinn gets back.

Edited by Radar
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Radar said:

I would switch him with Benson but that's just me. VO is a great shot on PP that's his game in total. Third line I'd be okay with for now until Quinn gets back.

I would consider it.  I think the forum's hive mind thinks that VO and Mitts are incompatible.  (They didn't mesh well in the past for sure, but there was other stuff going on.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.