Sabres Prospect Updates 23-24

LabattBlue

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is Savoie a Rochester player next year? Or does he have a chance to make the big club like Benson did with a stellar camp? Also, can he play both the wing and center positions in the NHL level? 

I think either destination is permitted. He was one day short of going to Roc this season if memory serves.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Is Savoie a Rochester player next year? Or does he have a chance to make the big club like Benson did with a stellar camp? Also, can he play both the wing and center positions in the NHL level? 

Imo, he would have to have an eye popping camp to be considered for the big club. Lindy would most likely prefer to add a gritty vet or two as well, but that depends on his and KA’s ability to find and sign one. Anyway, I think it’s best to add Savoie to the prospect stew in the A and let them all cook together a while longer. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Imo, he would have to have an eye popping camp to be considered for the big club. Lindy would most likely prefer to add a gritty vet or two as well, but that depends on his and KA’s ability to find and sign one. Anyway, I think it’s best to add Savoie to the prospect stew in the A and let them all cook together a while longer. 

The open question for me is what happens if he does have an "eye popping" camp (your words)? What I can say about Benson is that whenever I watched him, I never felt that he was a liability. Quite the contrary, although his offensive stats were not impressive, his overall play was sound. In a season of a number of disappointments, he was a decisive positive for us. I'm not arguing one way or the other about Savoie making the big club. Whether he does or not the GM still needs to add more veterans from the outside.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The open question for me is what happens if he does have an "eye popping" camp (your words)? What I can say about Benson is that whenever I watched him, I never felt that he was a liability. Quite the contrary, although his offensive stats were not impressive, his overall play was sound. In a season of a number of disappointments, he was a decisive positive for us. I'm not arguing one way or the other about Savoie making the big club. Whether he does or not the GM still needs to add more veterans from the outside.  

If he has a camp and preseason like Benson, then he will most likely make the big club. Benson was just that much better than others in our bottom six last fall, that he couldn’t be ignored. He was remarkably consistent;  from the first rookie scrimmage to the last preseason game, he showed the same high hockey IQ and tenacity on the ice. Benson was the better player than Savoie coming out of juniors, too. It would be a surprise to me if Savoie has the same success, but if he stays healthy, which he hasn’t been for either of his two camps so far, he certainly has a chance as  the current talent level in the bottom six doesn’t set that high of a bar. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don't know what will happen but I keep thinking that 1 or 2 Amerks have to come up to start the season. For all the talk of player development Benson skipped the line. He played well but I just wonder about the messaging to the other players who are working on the game in Rochester. I am thinking if you are not going to to bring Kulich or Rosen up you have to trade them. There is going to be a bottleneck of NHL talent in Rochester that you can't bring up because there are no spots. 100 Games in the AHL for first round picks should be enough to decide what you are going to do. If you jump these two again then they have to go. My guess is they are not going to get into another Benson situation with Savoie. As much as Benson played well for his age he did not produce that well for his position on the team. That is not his fault or a knock on him, it was hoisted on him because Quinn was not available and they did not address that issue with a better NHL player.

I am thinking they will bring Kulich up to replace VO on a third or fourth line.   

Barring trades, nine of 14 spots in October are spoken for.

Tuch, Thompson, Skinner, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Krebs, Greenway.

If it’s up to me, I acquire real NHL veterans to fill 4 of the other 5 spots.

Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Östlund and Rousek get to battle for the 5th.

There’s a door, but they’re going to have top step over bodies to walk through it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

There’s a door, but they’re going to have top step over bodies to walk through it.

Pretty good. But I’ll add that Skinner and/or Krebs could be moved from that group in trades (along with prospects and picks) that bring people in.  So maybe more slots are open.  

Savoie will get a look, but I hope Lindy will start the trend of starting in the A unless you’re special.   

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Pretty good. But I’ll add that Skinner and/or Krebs could be moved from that group in trades (along with prospects and picks) that bring people in.  So maybe more slots are open.  

Savoie will get a look, but I hope Lindy will start the trend of starting in the A unless you’re special.   

It will be interesting to see if they sign any free agents. I'm cool waiting for the kids to mature into men, but I'd be happy if they over paid for a three year veteran who adds skill and toughness to the bottom six 

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

skinner won't be a Sabres or will be a candidate for the 14th forward.  So it could be 2 spots that are open 

Seems the Skinner hate is getting traction. Is he the most complete player on the team? No. But I don’t think the hate is justified. I think he will come out and surprise people under Lindy. I don’t think he is the the kind of player to be happy and sit in the press box. About 20 goals before Christmas. Mark it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Seems the Skinner hate is getting traction. Is he the most complete player on the team? No. But I don’t think the hate is justified. I think he will come out and surprise people under Lindy. I don’t think he is the the kind of player to be happy and sit in the press box. About 20 goals before Christmas. Mark it. 

If Skinner was making $3 million no one would care. He is taking up $ 9 million which is the big issue. He’s a one trick pony who is paid like a superstar. That is the issue.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If Skinner was making $3 million no one would care. He is taking up $ 9 million which is the big issue. He’s a one trick pony who is paid like a superstar. That is the issue.

I sort of get this, while I also don't. I haven't seen any evidence that giving Skinny 9 million pegula bucks prevented the Sabres from doing anything. This season would probably be the first where if he is not "earning" his $9M that we could say "coulda spent that money elsewhere." ahem ... casey.  (the absurd concept of someone doing almost anything that is actually *worth* $9M is probably a very lonely thread all on its own).

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, steveoath said:

I would bet my life savings on him having less than 20 goals before Christmas , especially playing (at best) a 3rd line role.