Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Of course the Atlantic Division is already Toronto, Boston and Tampa at the top.  It took all of one game. Hope Buffalo can keep pace.

Of course those 3 each got to open against a team expected to be a bottom feeder this year.  And 2 of them had real games on their hands.  (Not sure about the B's game.  Knew Chicago scored 1st, but didn't see it past 1-1.)

Tampa still needs to address goaltending while waiting for Vasilevskiy or they'll have a real hard time making the dance.

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Bedard's linemate Taylor Hall may be out injured....didn't see what happened though

I forget who it was but he took a solid check to the shoulder and seemed to be holding his arm. Tried to come back but one shift and was gone. He's had upper body stuff all last year so hard to say but it's shoulder or ribs or something like that. Probably just a good bruise. 

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Not a lot of defense being played so far this year it looks like

Bruins were all D. Their O was pretty bad though so I suspect that's how they play all year. 

Vancouver trouncing Edmonton has to be the shocker of the night. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Interesting that neither team saw a point to running 7 D-men.

Cap issue?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I forget who it was but he took a solid check to the shoulder and seemed to be holding his arm. Tried to come back but one shift and was gone. He's had upper body stuff all last year so hard to say but it's shoulder or ribs or something like that. Probably just a good bruise. 

Bruins were all D. Their O was pretty bad though so I suspect that's how they play all year. 

Vancouver trouncing Edmonton has to be the shocker of the night. 

Cap issue?

According to Puckipedia both teams have 8 D on the roster.  So, there's a 7th D-man available who's getting paid either way.  Maybe that site is incorrect or maybe the spares all got banged up in preseason or practice, but that seems unlikely.

Vancouver is only running with 12 F's, so understand why with one banged up they only used 11.  But guess they didn't want to dress a 7th D planning on not using him even if he was dressed.  Watched some of that game, but missed the beginning of it so didn't hear the announcers talk about why the teams were undermanned.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Of course those 3 each got to open against a team expected to be a bottom feeder this year.  And 2 of them had real games on their hands.  (Not sure about the B's game.  Knew Chicago scored 1st, but didn't see it past 1-1.)

Tampa still needs to address goaltending while waiting for Vasilevskiy or they'll have a real hard time making the dance.

And the Bruins got to play a lethargic Chicago, as the Blackhawks were Pittsburgh's home opener on Tues night.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, zow2 said:

Of course the Atlantic Division is already Toronto, Boston and Tampa at the top.  It took all of one game. Hope Buffalo can keep pace.

Are we really doing this after one night?😂 I guess we better fire up the Celebrini and Eiserman videos 😛

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Haha (+1) 1

I cannot help but laugh at the Oilers game and the result...losing to Vancouver 8-1 is absolutely  absurd. There is no excuse for losing that bad to any team, never mind Vancouver, a team that was thought to be not very good and lacking offense. Boeser with 4 goals! Of course leon scored from his buddy so they got their points which seems to be the only thing that matters. 

Leafs defense looks real good again this year haha... 

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I cannot help but laugh at the Oilers game and the result...losing to Vancouver 8-1 is absolutely  absurd. There is no excuse for losing that bad to any team, never mind Vancouver, a team that was thought to be not very good and lacking offense. Boeser with 4 goals! Of course leon scored from his buddy so they got their points which seems to be the only thing that matters. 

Leafs defense looks real good again this year haha... 

One game closer to McDavid becoming a Sabre.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Vancouver is only running with 12 F's, so understand why with one banged up they only used 11.  But guess they didn't want to dress a 7th D planning on not using him even if he was dressed.  Watched some of that game, but missed the beginning of it so didn't hear the announcers talk about why the teams were undermanned.

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't let a D play on the wing.  Surely there was a D available that's played wing in the past.

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So he took a discount...

It’s reasonable, but remember that this isn’t a contract covering his prime years.  This is covering the back 9 of his career, ages 30-36, it’s not the same as these younger guys signing long term deals that run through the heart of their career prime.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

It’s reasonable, but remember that this isn’t a contract covering his prime years.  This is covering the back 9 of his career, ages 30-36, it’s the same these younger guys signing long term deals that run through the heart of their career prime.

The big contracts used to be to 29 year olds who just had a career season in their first shot at being a UFA.

14 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Coyotes outplayed and beat the Devils. They looked as skilled as New Jersey did too. Cooley is going to be a star.

Guess the Devils forgot when the season started.

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Which is proof that preseason is in fact meaningless. Coyotes play a heavier game with better defense. Will they be any good? idk.  Just saying. 

They're a bust.. clearly.  One year fluke.

Oh, what's worse, losing to the Coyotes or the Rangers?  😉

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Guess the Devils forgot when the season started.

They're a bust.. clearly.  One year fluke.

Oh, what's worse, losing to the Coyotes or the Rangers?  😉

No, that's not what I was saying. I think the Coyotes might be better than people expect. They played well. Jersey likely took them too lightly and they also had a little trouble against the Coyotes style. 

Jersey is still likely to be up there with Carolina, but they will have a harder time this year than they did last.