GDT: Sabres @ Blue Jackets - October 4, 2023 - 7:00PM, Sabres.com📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm talking about the Edm version of Grant Fuhr.  I often forget the Fuhr played for us.  

Not only did he play for the Sabres, Muckler gave up Puppa, Andreychuk, and a 1st that turned into Kenny Johnson WHILE having DOMINIK HASEK on the team to get him!

Friggin' moron.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Did Cozens actually play tonight?  I don't remember seeing him at all and it's hard for him to be invisible on the ice.

He was sore from morning skate and scratched. Biro went in for him.

I only watched the second period due to work and serving as an airport shuttle for family. Guess I watched the highlights…

21 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

So, is UPL gonna make this team? Or will it be Comrie? Maybe the UPL experiment is over? I didn’t see game, just asking for opinions.

I hope neither. Hate 'em both. Get a legitimate goalie and don't cheap out on these half-baked projects.

Hope the vets got the kinks out tonight because most of them looked pretty bad.

But as for the players on the bubble, I think we’ve got our answers.

UPL played like UPL. Nothing he did should have changed any minds.

Johnson looked not perfect, but skilled and confident, like he has. He’ll get sent down because he needs to play, but he’ll be back, and when he does, there’s a pretty good chance he’s going to stay.

Biro did less than he has in previous showings. He’ll be in Buffalo at some point this year, but it won’t be next Thursday.

I thought Rousek worked hard and played smart, even if he flubbed that great Benson set-up. It was the kind of game I’d hope he’d give us if he made the team. But he’s not going to.

Because the Rousek/Krebs/Benson line only one that looked engaged and in sync. And its driver was Benson.

Looks like his linemates don’t matter. Kid is a dog, plus he’s got brains and skill. He makes a difference and he has every game he’s played. That has to matter for something.

They’d be nuts not to keep him up to start the season.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not only did he play for the Sabres, Muckler gave up Puppa, Andreychuk, and a 1st that turned into Kenny Johnson WHILE having DOMINIK HASEK on the team to get him!

Friggin' moron.

Easily the worst trade in Sabres history, when you consider the Sabres probably win the cup with Andreychuk and Hasek.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We don't want the Sabres Grant Fuhr we want another Sabres Hasek or Miller.

Fuhr lost 4 straight to the Habs.

Grant Fuhr in his prime was way better than Ryan Miller. When the Buffalo Sabres got Grant Fuhr he was at the end of his NHL career. Grant Fuhr playing on one leg is better than Ryan Miller. I am a fan of Ryan Miller but Buffalo fans way overrated Ryan Miller. I get it Ryan Miller is like able did a lot of local charity and was an American born player. But Ryan Miller won no Stanley Cups and basically wanted out of Buffalo. Got his wish and still didn’t win anything in St Louis, Vancouver and Anaheim that isn’t something I would want from Devon Levi. Grant Fuhr is a Stanley Cup winning goalie. That is like saying Tim Horton of the Buffalo Sabres isn’t very good and he was 41 years old as a Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Easily the worst trade in Sabres history, when you consider the Sabres probably win the cup with Andreychuk and Hasek.

Dave Andreychuk wasn’t winning the Buffalo Sabres a Stanley Cup. He played on many good Buffalo Sabres teams he needed to move on. The bottom line the Buffalo Sabres beat the Boston Bruins to get out of the first round with Grant Fuhr. For that time period where Buffalo Sabres were getting knocked out of the first round yearly it was worth it to get out of the first round. At that time Dom Hasek wasn’t Hasek yet. Sure hindsight 20/20 but at that time few really knew what Dom Hasek would become in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Grant Fuhr in his prime was way better than Ryan Miller. When the Buffalo Sabres got Grant Fuhr he was at the end of his NHL career. Grant Fuhr playing on one leg is better than Ryan Miller. I am a fan of Ryan Miller but Buffalo fans way overrated Ryan Miller. I get it Ryan Miller is like able did a lot of local charity and was an American born player. But Ryan Miller won no Stanley Cups and basically wanted out of Buffalo. Got his wish and still didn’t win anything in St Louis, Vancouver and Anaheim that isn’t something I would want from Devon Levi. Grant Fuhr is a Stanley Cup winning goalie. That is like saying Tim Horton of the Buffalo Sabres isn’t very good and he was 41 years old as a Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

GIF by Zack Kantor

Hope it was just rust for Clifton but yeah he did suck. 

Joki is the same and he can’t be with Power. They share a weakness in the d zone when the puck is behind the net they get lost. 

Bensen has good and bad. He is special, you take the bad for the good. 

Johnson shored up his mistakes today and still looked good on offense. 

Oloffson is toast, he’s just too much of a defensive liability and his good doesn’t make up for it  

Other rookies didn’t do anything to impress today, they need Rochester time  

UPL did nothing to save himself. If Comrie looks average next game he edges it out imo. I bet we keep 3 though

Edited by triumph_communes

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/don-granato-postgame-at-cbj-6338417861112

DG was about as happy with the team’s performance as we were. Should be a long day tomorrow boys.

They deserve a hard practice. Bunch of lazy bums last night. Frustrating part was when they started skating, Sabres easily controlled play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Friggin' moron.

But the mob, led by the morons on WGR, were screaming that Andreychuk was no good, weak, a chocker and a evil doer. 

Some quick thoughts on last nights game.

It really looked like they were just playing to stretch the legs and not get hurt. Not putting much effort into skating, checking, and or fighting for the puck. 

Benson looks like he belongs in the NHL, Plain and simple.

UPL does not get much defensive support when he plays, but he did not help himself. 

Johnson looks NHL ready as well, but believe he should be top pairing in Rochester, until an injury happens.

Loved watching Dahlin and Power play together. I did not think the Columbus did though! LOL They wrecked offensive havok when they were on the ice together. Was fun to watch!

Other than Johnson and Benson, the rest of the kids need to get sent back and the Regulars need to play together the final game. Lets get the rust out and get ready to beat the Rags (Which i wont be able to see, FU Xfinity!) next week.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Dave Andreychuk wasn’t winning the Buffalo Sabres a Stanley Cup. He played on many good Buffalo Sabres teams he needed to move on. The bottom line the Buffalo Sabres beat the Boston Bruins to get out of the first round with Grant Fuhr. For that time period where Buffalo Sabres were getting knocked out of the first round yearly it was worth it to get out of the first round. At that time Dom Hasek wasn’t Hasek yet. Sure hindsight 20/20 but at that time few really knew what Dom Hasek would become in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The Sabres lost every game by a goal against Mtl. 3 in OT. They were the eventual cup winner. 

When I first heard about the trade I was irate.  Not because I knew Hasek was going to the the eventual GOAT. I was mad we lost our #2 goal scorer. Andreychuk had 54 goals that year. All this to pick up a goalie that was statistically worse than Hasek. The line at the time was Fuhr "knew how to win". Who the F$&! couldn't win on those Oilers teams?!?!

Sabres win the cup if that trade doesn't happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The Sabres lost every game by a goal against Mtl. 3 in OT. They were the eventual cup winner. 

When I first heard about the trade I was irate.  Not because I knew Hasek was going to the the eventual GOAT. I was mad we lost our #2 goal scorer. Andreychuk had 54 goals that year. All this to pick up a goalie that was statistically worse than Hasek. The line at the time was Fuhr "knew how to win". Who the F$&! couldn't win on those Oilers teams?!?!

Sabres win the cup if that trade doesn't happen.

80s Oilers Fuhr was one of the best big game goalies of all time. He never gave up the next goal when his team needed him. 

Both Muckler and Gretzky loved him and wanted him wherever they went. Muckler thought he would solidify the net. Hasek wasn’t Hasek yet and the goaltending was very inconsistent at the time. 

I can see Muckler’s reasoning at the time but I wasn’t a fan of the trade either. They gave up a lot for a goalie who wasn’t his prime self anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.