GDT: Sabres @ Pens- September 28, 2023 - 7:00PM, Sabres.com📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

11 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

As I hope to never see Bryson play another regular season game for the Sabres, I hope to never see Clague and Greenway on the Power play.

Btw, if there's any market at all for UPL, Adams should trade him.  3 goalies on an NHL roster is idiotic 

I thought I heard Pittsburgh’s announcer say that Comrie might be tradable, he mentioned Tampa Bay.   

The market is not great when the rest of the league knows they have to be waived.  

Didn't get to watch this one, but the reviews of Comrie seem to be good.  Sounds like the pieces are falling into place for Comrie to be the second goalie.  I would bet they will give UPL another chance this preseason, but at some point I think we will have to cut bait & send him down.

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

As I hope to never see Bryson play another regular season game for the Sabres, I hope to never see Clague and Greenway on the Power play.

Btw, if there's any market at all for UPL, Adams should trade him.  3 goalies on an NHL roster is idiotic 

Well, they've said they won't use Johnson on the PP down in Ra-cha-cha because that job is locked up in Buffalo between Dahlin and Power.  So, if you aren't going to use him there, why bother in exhibition season?  Wouldn't minded seeing Metsa get a chance there but after Johnson gets called up to Buffalo Clague and Bryson could very well be Ra-cha-cha's PP QBs.

And though really respect @Weave's opinions really don't believe that both Comrie and UPL will be Sabres on October 11.  Either 1's an Amerk or he's wearing some other team's logo either due to a trade or simply getting claimed off waivers.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Definitely true. He had a terrible season last year.

I don't think that should be how we define him, not with the rest of his body of work.

He's a responsible defensive forward with a ton of size and enough offence that he can be the defensive conscience of a middle 6 line.

I've been saying Mike Grier since we acquired him.

Really?

Not a bad game considering the rosters tonight.

I liked Rosen and Biro

Comrie played well and I am more comfortable with him backing up Levi than UPL

JJ was dancing tonight

Greenway made a nice defensive play to setup the Tage goal but he can’t be on the PP.

I think Johnson has outplayed Bryson  but I think he starts with the Amerks

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And though really respect @Weave's opinions really don't believe that both Comrie and UPL will be Sabres on October 11.  Either 1's an Amerk or he's wearing some other team's logo either due to a trade or simply getting claimed off waivers.

Well, if it is a real race, i guess we can say Comrie stepped into the lead tonight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And they DID give up Fitzgerald for nothing.  So, it happens that they do give up on players.  Personally expect Clague to be the 8 if they keep 8 up.  And should they need to bring the 8 into the lineup, as soon as the injured guy is on IR we'll see R. Johnson get his opportunity to show what he can do.  

I think Fitz was a bit of a surprise. They fully expected him to clear but the timing with Florida having D injuries was bad. Personally, at that point, I would have sent Bryson down but it was no big deal. They're all fringe D men at best. Just different skill sets. 

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Definitely true. He had a terrible season last year.

I don't think that should be how we define him, not with the rest of his body of work.

He's a responsible defensive forward with a ton of size and enough offence that he can be the defensive conscience of a middle 6 line.

I've been saying Mike Grier since we acquired him.

I think he’s a good line mate for Tage. I am curious what this year looks like for him. If he can become a bit more explosive that could be a good second line with either JJP or Cozens.

Re: Tommers, sometimes I don’t think he’s good enough in our own zone and has a too many head scratchers for a 1C. Or at least an heir apparent 1C. 

Don’t get me wrong, Tage Thompson is a talent. But a guy like Greenway can accidentally find himself on the second line by helping a guy like Tage be a complete player. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think he’s a good line mate for Tage. I am curious what this year looks like for him. If he can become a bit more explosive that could be a good second line with either JJP or Cozens.

Re: Tommers, sometimes I don’t think he’s good enough in our own zone and has a too many head scratchers for a 1C. Or at least an heir apparent 1C. 

Don’t get me wrong, Tage Thompson is a talent. But a guy like Greenway can accidentally find himself on the second line by helping a guy like Tage be a complete player. 

What have you seen of him that I haven't?

For a guy as light on talent as he is, you'd think he'd be giving it all to stay in the league by using his size. If he won't do that, give his spot to someone that actually cares.

13 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

What have you seen of him that I haven't?

For a guy as light on talent as he is, you'd think he'd be giving it all to stay in the league by using his size. If he won't do that, give his spot to someone that actually cares.

I think the second line to end the season with Greenway Cozens and Tage was a solid line. Much more complete than the full kiddo line.  

EDIT: To add on, I think he was our best defensive forward as a whole. I don’t need him to throw his body around, the team needs somebody with Tage to account for his bad play in our own end. I thought Greenway was slow and laborious for a good part of last year. If he can find some explosiveness and play with some more speed, I think he can be a good line mate for a star who right now has a knack for being all offense. 

Edited by Mango
Add on

54 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, they've said they won't use Johnson on the PP down in Ra-cha-cha because that job is locked up in Buffalo between Dahlin and Power.  

This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. If Johnson is the best option to be on the PP for the Amerks, then put him out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. If Johnson is the best option to be on the PP for the Amerks, then put him out there. 

It makes a ton of sense.  The Amerks are the development wing of the or-gan-i-za-tion.  There is no room on the Sabres on any sort of consistent LT basis for Johnson to be running the PP.  Let him spend his time becoming a stud PKer and focus on breaking up plays and moving the puck up ice at 5v5.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It makes a ton of sense.  The Amerks are the development wing of the or-gan-i-za-tion.  There is no room on the Sabres on any sort of consistent LT basis for Johnson to be running the PP.  Let him spend his time becoming a stud PKer and focus on breaking up plays and moving the puck up ice at 5v5.

He can’t do the above, and be on one of the PP units?  We will agree to disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just finished watching. Comrie played pretty well. Pretty goal by Tage but overall a rough night. Are we talking about Ryan Johnson making the team yet?

Not out of the gate.  Granato loves him some Jokiharju.

But after he's an injury callup, it could get interesting seeing who stays in the lineup and who gets bumped out.

15 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Pretty underwhelming defense in front of Comrie, especially considering the forwards the Penguins are playing. Still no Clifton or EJ. I guess they really want to see what they have with their defensive depth before sending most to Rochester?

Well Comrie is also himself underwhelming in the net.  Seems like a stand up human, but back up at best.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.