GDT: Sabres @ Pens- September 28, 2023 - 7:00PM, Sabres.com📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

With that line-up do you want to see Levi start or Comrie? With how bad UPL looked last night, I'm tempted to say Comrie. It is in theory his "turn" in the rotation too. However, while Levi looked great against Boston, Boston wasn't playing a line-up like this.

Either way this should be a much better test for whoever gets the start than their first game was.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

With that line-up do you want to see Levi start or Comrie? With how bad UPL looked last night, I'm tempted to say Comrie. It is in theory his "turn" in the rotation too. However, while Levi looked great against Boston, Boston wasn't playing a line-up like this.

Either way this should be a much better test for whoever gets the start than their first game was.

Comrie. 

Tonight’s roster:

Forwards (13)

9 Zach Benson

15 Brandon Biro

49 Filip Cederqvist

28 Zemgus Girgensons

12 Jordan Greenway

52 Aleksandr Kisakov

48 Tyson Kozak

20 Jiri Kulich

37 Casey Mittelstadt

79 Viktor Neuchev

77 JJ Peterka

63 Isak Rosen

72 Tage Thompson

Defensemen (7)

78 Jacob Bryson

38 Kale Clague

44 Chris Jandric

33 Ryan Johnson

73 Zach Metsa

91 Nikita Novikov

61 Riley Stillman

Goalies (3)

31 Eric Comrie

62 Devin Cooley

32 Michael Houser

17 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Pretty underwhelming defense in front of Comrie, especially considering the forwards the Penguins are playing. Still no Clifton or EJ. I guess they really want to see what they have with their defensive depth before sending most to Rochester?

I think they are trying to figure out how they order 7-9 on the defensive depth chart. EJ and Clifton will probably both get either Saturday's game or assuredly one or both of the final two games. I believe this game will result in a larger number of cuts as they send guys to the AHL or jrs. 

• Like (+1) 1

So what do we think the forward lines will be?

Both Thompson and Mitts are out there. Does Benson get the nod again to play with Tage.

Maybe do:

Benson-Thompson-Peterka
Biro-Mitts-Rosen
Greenway-Kulich-Girgs/Nuevchev/Kisakov
Cederqvist-Jost-Girgs/Nuevchev/Kisakov

I think this is the last best/chance for Biro, Rosen and Kulick to make a case for staying around.

Rosen and Kulick won't have to clear waivers, but I think Biro will.

So I think unless something impressive happens tonight Rosen and Kulick get sent down and they hang on to Benson for his 9 or less try out and keep Biro as a depth forward

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they are trying to figure out how they order 7-9 on the defensive depth chart. EJ and Clifton will probably both get either Saturday's game or assuredly one or both of the final two games. I believe this game will result in a larger number of cuts as they send guys to the AHL or jrs. 

A lot of bubble guys getting equal shots against NHLers.

Good litmus test.

back to back for Johnson and his 3rd game in 5 nights? Plus all 3 prospects games?

Really giving him a hard look.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Figures, lines come out while I'm trying to figure out my 3rd and 4th line combos.

Interesting Greenway with Thompson and Benson.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

back to back for Johnson and his 3rd game in 5 nights? Plus all 3 prospects games?

Really giving him a hard look.

I think Johnson has been the most noticeable among the defensive prospects. I don't see him cracking the roster now, but he's looking like first call up for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I think Johnson has been the most noticeable among the defensive prospects. I don't see him cracking the roster now, but he's looking like first call up for sure.

Johnson is a really good skater.  He throws the puck around a bit too much for my likening, the games needs to slow down for him and then he will make better decisions.    Overall he is impressive at times.  Definitely needs year of AHL play and he could be called up if we get thin on defense.  

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Johnson is getting another game, they are giving him a lot of opportunities.

I can’t stand watching Bryson but this is good for the others to be evaluated vs him in the same setting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

1 hour ago, SabresBaltimore said:

So what do we think the forward lines will be?

Both Thompson and Mitts are out there. Does Benson get the nod again to play with Tage.

Maybe do:

Benson-Thompson-Peterka
Biro-Mitts-Rosen
Greenway-Kulich-Girgs/Nuevchev/Kisakov
Cederqvist-Jost-Girgs/Nuevchev/Kisakov

I think this is the last best/chance for Biro, Rosen and Kulick to make a case for staying around.

Rosen and Kulick won't have to clear waivers, but I think Biro will.

So I think unless something impressive happens tonight Rosen and Kulick get sent down and they hang on to Benson for his 9 or less try out and keep Biro as a depth forward

You were fairly close. 

I’m interested to see the top 3 forward lines. 

Some thoughts while I sit through this meeting that should have been an email that I didn't need to be CC'd on:

Greenway - Tage - Benson

So this is a test of whether Greenway can play a Top 6 role (not that anyone expects him to, but injuries will happen this season and it's best to give him a look now--plus it's a nice confidence boost for him from the staff). Next it's a test of how Benson looks with a less skilled (Skinnered?) line. Lastly, I suppose we could say it's a continued test of Tage with different wingers.

Biro - Mittelstadt - Peterka

Depending on what DG wants to do for the opening night roster, this could be an actual line. Is that likely? No. Probably the most interesting takeways are Mitts at center and Biro* playing his wing.

Girgensons - Kulich - Rosen

"Can Girgs teach these kids how to backcheck and slow the pace of play in one preseason game?" ~ DG, probably.

Cerderqvist- Kozak - Neuchev

This is the AHL equivalent of Girgs - Krebs - KO and, unlike the last comment, this one is serious. The fact this is Neuchev and not Biro is maybe the only interesting bit.

Defensemen (7): 78 Jacob Bryson, 38 Kale Clague, 44 Chris Jandric, 33 Ryan Johnson, 73 Zach Metsa, 91 Nikita Novikov, 61 Riley Stillman

Metsa and Novikov might be a real Rochester pairing. Otherwise my only takeaway is that this is just proof that GMKA and DG hate Eric Comrie.

*Side note, but for the Jack Quinn opening, Biro, Kulich and Benson are all at 3 of 4 games. Rousek, Weissbach and Rosen are 2 of 4. It'll be interesting to see Saturday's roster.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Some thoughts while I sit through this meeting that should have been an email that I didn't need to be CC'd on:

Greenway - Tage - Benson

So this is a test of whether Greenway can play a Top 6 role (not that anyone expects him to, but injuries will happen this season and it's best to give him a look now--plus it's a nice confidence boost for him from the staff). Next it's a test of how Benson looks with a less skilled (Skinnered?) line. Lastly, I suppose we could say it's a continued test of Tage with different wingers.

I was not a huge fan of Greenway last year, but I thought he got better as the season progressed and looked good when paired with Cozen and Thompson. Obviously those guys are studs. Theres some rumor that Greenway could have some more juice this year. If he can be a Tuch-lite, I think there is a place for him in the top 6 and can provide some additional balance.

Curious to see this one play out

Edited by Mango

They should play UPL again. It’s one thing to give up goals to a lineup of scrubs, but quite another when it’s future HOFers getting pucks past you. Allowing five or six goals to the likes of Crosby, Malkin, and Karlsson would be a real confidence builder for Oopie. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.