OT - bands from Buffalo

steveoath

Talas

Edited to correct spelling. Not sure if I got Talus from the bone in the foot or my company’s customer in Taiwan but either way it was probably 20 years since I though about Talas so I’ll forgive myself that one.

Edited by TheAud
  • Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Talas had a regular Monday Show at a Club called Stage One.

On December 8th, 1980 a little known band from Ireland opened for them called U2 

Bono still refers to playing this show in Buffalo the day that John Lennon was killed 

Bono was actually playing pong (google it) with the wife of Corky Burger, one half of Harvey and Corky Productions who pretty much controlled the local music scene during the 70’s and 80’s. You may know Harvey better as Harvey Weinstein. I used to like to drop his name and mention how he hooked me up with Led Zeppelin tickets(a show that never happened) until he became persona non grata at UB.

Another fairly well known band made one of their first American appearances at Stage One. I stopped in one night to grab Mighty Taco which was actually located right in the bar and saw Sting belting out Roxanne to about sixty less then interested patrons.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Bono was actually playing pong (google it) with the wife of Corky Burger, one half of Harvey and Corky Productions who pretty much controlled the local music scene during the 70’s and 80’s. You may know Harvey better as Harvey Weinstein. I used to like to drop his name and mention how he hooked me up with Led Zeppelin tickets(a show that never happened) until he became persona non grata at UB.

Another fairly well known band made one of their first American appearances at Stage One. I stopped in one night to grab Mighty Taco which was actually located right in the bar and saw Sting belting out Roxanne to about sixty less then interested patrons.

Wow! That’s fascinating stuff. So Harvey was from Buffalo? (Yeah, can’t brag about that connection anymore)

Are you referring to the Zeppelin concert on the tour during which Robert Plant’s son drowned (seems like a few days or couple of weeks prior)? I had tickets to that concert. So sad. 

Being the same age as U2 (I am basically saddled in the middle of the four), also being Irish from both parents, and growing up in Buffalo, I have always felt a kinship with the band. Music of my life. But something about their music often reminded me of my life in Buffalo. Can’t really explain it. 

26 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Wow! That’s fascinating stuff. So Harvey was from Buffalo? (Yeah, can’t brag about that connection anymore)

Are you referring to the Zeppelin concert on the tour during which Robert Plant’s son drowned (seems like a few days or couple of weeks prior)? I had tickets to that concert. So sad. 

Being the same age as U2 (I am basically saddled in the middle of the four), also being Irish from both parents, and growing up in Buffalo, I have always felt a kinship with the band. Music of my life. But something about their music often reminded me of my life in Buffalo. Can’t really explain it. 

I had tickets or vouchers for two Zeppelin concerts that never happened.

The first would have been around 77/78 and I thought someone had a bike accident although I’m not 100% sure. The second was when Bonham died which I think was around 80.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Just to clarify, Harvey went to UB but he wasn’t from Buffalo and I’m not sure he graduated either. He was a couple years ahead of me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.