Idle SabreSpacer speculation re: Patrick Kane

sweetlou

I'm all in on Kane now actually. Just to get the PP right. If adams has something else ready to show Kane and the fans we are all-in, I will be the first to thank him and sing his praises for the moves.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

So Savoie and Krebs for a significant player (that package screams Calgary) and Kane signs.

Let the mad speculation commence! 😁

Looks like something I would offer for Hanifin or Lindholm (before getting hung up on?)

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll get up for what the idea of Kane could provide because of who he was as a player.

But I don’t see how this fits. We have 100 prospects who all fill the Kane role. This team isn’t missing flash. It’s missing finish, and grit. This roster needs one, maybe two more Greenways. 

EDIT: I am curious if we’d have any interest if he wasn’t a Buffalo guy. And if the answer is no, we should move along because we’re not making hockey decisions at that point. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm all in on Kane now actually. Just to get the PP right. If adams has something else ready to show Kane and the fans we are all-in, I will be the first to thank him and sing his praises for the moves.

Looks like something I would offer for Hanifin or Lindholm (before getting hung up on?)

As much  as I disagree with you for the Power comments I agree with you here.  

On both counts 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I’ll get up for what the idea of Kane could provide because of who he was as a player.

But I don’t see how this fits. We have 100 prospects who all fill the Kane role. This team isn’t missing flash. It’s missing finish, and grit. This roster needs one, maybe two more Greenways. 

No we don't, we have zero prospects who are ready to be top/middle six wingers on a playoff team this year or next. Tuch Skinner JJP, Quinn hopefully but this year might be a get right year with that injury, and then nothing. Nobody is ready to fill the next two spots. 

Greenway sure

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

No we don't, we have zero prospects who are ready to be top/middle six wingers on a playoff team this year or next. Tuch Skinner JJP, Quinn hopefully but this year might be a get right year with that injury, and then nothing. Nobody is ready to fill the next two spots. 

Greenway sure

I agree with you that they’re not ready. But given the injury I am not sure Kane is either. 

I don’t think Kane provides any 5on5 help. And I don’t think he’ll be better than what we’ve seen from Tuch/JJP over the last few weeks. Based on that it makes it tough to get excited about the add as a 3rd line RW. 

Maybe he’ll buck the trend of hip surgery’s, be lights out and all of a sudden everything is different. I’m gonna hype myself up for it if he signs. But right now I am cautious/hesitant. 

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Fair point.  (Not intentional by me -- I think the moneypuck page I saw didn't specify 5 v 5 as opposed to all situations).

Most sites default to the all situations data.  I catch myself looking at the wrong stuff on occasion.  Just something to look out for.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree with you that they’re not ready. But given the injury I am not sure Kane is either. 

I don’t think Kane provides any 5on5 help. And I don’t think he’ll be better than what we’ve seen from Tuch/JJP over the last few weeks. Based on that it makes it tough to get excited about the add as a 3rd line RW. 

Maybe he’ll buck the trend of hip surgery’s, be lights out and all of a sudden everything is different. I’m gonna hype myself up for it if he signs. But right now I am cautious/hesitant. 

Reasonable concerns. If I see this sign of life from Kevyn though, I'm not in a position to be super picky right now. A GM who cares about this season is a GM whose moves I can support. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Mango said:

EDIT: I am curious if we’d have any interest if he wasn’t a Buffalo guy. And if the answer is no, we should move along because we’re not making hockey decisions at that point. 

Speaking only for myself, Kane's origins aren't relevant to my interest in him.  For me it's all about the skill, the productivity, the PP and the playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 2

If the situation is that Buffalo is going to make a trade to demonstrate they are all in and get Kane then I am fine with it.  They need to shake something up and bring in some more veteran leadership to drive the kids. 

I feel like a Kane - Mitts - Greenway line could be fun. That sets up Tuch-Thompson-Skinner, and then Cozens-Peterka-(placeholder- Biro?) until Quinn is ready.

Your 4th is Rousek/Jost - Girgensons - Okposo.

Anyway... it's something.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LTS said:

If the situation is that Buffalo is going to make a trade to demonstrate they are all in and get Kane then I am fine with it.  They need to shake something up and bring in some more veteran leadership to drive the kids. 

I feel like a Kane - Mitts - Greenway line could be fun. That sets up Tuch-Thompson-Skinner, and then Cozens-Peterka-(placeholder- Biro?) until Quinn is ready.

Your 4th is Rousek/Jost - Girgensons - Okposo.

Anyway... it's something.

You took that line right out of my mouth

Swap Greenway for JJP when it's late and you are down a goal or two, swap Kane for anyone else on planet earth when it's late and you're up a goal or two, swiss-army-knife line

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Speaking only for myself, Kane's origins aren't relevant to my interest in him.  For me it's all about the skill, the productivity, the PP and the playoff experience.

I was more talking about the org. 

I know there’s connections with Donnie and KA. But it has me curious. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

So Savoie and Krebs for a significant player (that package screams Calgary) and Kane signs.

Let the mad speculation commence! 😁

I’ve never felt that Savoie was highly regarded in the organization. They really wanted Kasper and Savoie was the consolation prize. Then after drafting Benson it seemed like they couldn’t talk about him without mentioning that he was the best player on the ice whenever they checked in on Savoie.

• Like (+1) 1

A Lot of Kane smoke right now between Andrew Peters. Wawrow and Chad D.

If it happens you have to think some moves will be made. 

Kane is only coming if, as @tomwebster mentioned, he gets assurances that they are all in.

Be interested to see what moves are made. Vet goalie, a Hanifin esqe stabilizer on the back end, bottom 6 centre that can win draws, addition to the coaching staff with an understanding of the PP.

I wouldn’t move Kulich or Benson but the others are in the table for the right piece.

Edited by Flashsabre

Personally I’ve been against it, his analytics kind of turned to garbage and the hip injury is worrisome 

But emotions will have to take over logic if it actually happens, I’d be excited and eat my words. At the very least hopefully he’d help fill the arena and just be a little more useful version of Olofsson 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, elijah said:

Personally I’ve been against it, his analytics kind of turned to garbage and the hip injury is worrisome 

But emotions will have to take over logic if it actually happens, I’d be excited and eat my words. At the very least hopefully he’d help fill the arena and just be a little more useful version of Olofsson 

Damn, that's a low bar.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Being speculated at 3.5-4 Million per season for 2 years. 

Worse case scenario He can be placed on IR/LTIR if the latter becomes necessary. 

Not thrilled at the idea of bringing him in at this point of his career.  But have to believe they know him well enough and will have done their due dilligence on him that IF he is a Sabre sometime in the next week / 2 months that it will be a positive.  (Now, if it were a goalie they were looking at, unless his last name was Saros, would still have doubts about it - track record.)

• Agree 1

Krebs and something for pending UFA Elias Lindholm might make sense. Peyton’s a Calgary boy. Lindholm’s responsible and can win draws. Calgary needs to sell.

Lindholm’s value would be similar to Sam Reinhart’s, so Krebs and Savoie sounds a bit much to me for a rental, but maybe other pieces could be involved. Olofsson has a similar salary to Lindholm.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’ve never felt that Savoie was highly regarded in the organization. They really wanted Kasper and Savoie was the consolation prize. Then after drafting Benson it seemed like they couldn’t talk about him without mentioning that he was the best player on the ice whenever they checked in on Savoie.

I've never been high on Savoie either, it baffles me whenever I see someone say he's a better prospect than Kulich. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Krebs and something for pending UFA Elias Lindholm might make sense. Peyton’s a Calgary boy. Lindholm’s responsible and can win draws. Calgary needs to sell.

Lindholm’s value would be similar to Sam Reinhart’s, so Krebs and Savoie sounds a bit much to me for a rental, but maybe other pieces could be involved. Olofsson has a similar salary to Lindholm.

Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Markstrom, Zadorov (no thanks) 

Calgary have some interesting pieces that should be available. If Buffalo want to shake it up and “go for it” the Flames would be a prime trading partner. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.