Patrice Bergeron retires

LGR4GM

Having lived near Boston in the past for quite a few years...despite being a Sabres fan I grew an attachment to the Bruins, so I probably watch/follow them more than any team other than the Sabres.

With that said, this is probably a great time for him to step away.  Last year in the games I watched, he was a very good player, but it was noticable he was a half step slower than usual, and that wasn't going to get any better another year later.  The Bruins had a great year obviously and he was a very big part of it.  But if I give my honest opinion, he wasn't the best defenesive forward in the league anymore. Mentally maybe the best, but physically on the ice his play was a half step behind his mind more than in the past.  It might have been so slight of a dropoff that many people who casually follow the Bruins didn't notice it (especially with the team success) but I have a feeling if he played one more year it would have started to become more noticable to more fans.

A great player on the ice for a long time.  Good guy, and became a force defensively without the size and for most of his career the elite skating ability.  He did it through hard work and knowledge of the game (of course, a good deal of talent, just not 'elite' talent)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

Bergeron ends his career with:

Regular Season: 1294 games, 427 goals, 613 assists, 1040pts

Playoffs: 170 games, 50 goals, 78 assists, 128pts

Total points = 1168pts

His only negative +/- season was in 2006 where he was -28. Everything else was positive and he is a 6 time Selke winner.

It will be really intriguing to see how the Bruins stack up this year.

I think the "Best team in regular season history" was a bit of a mirage, but that's relative; they still made the playoffs by 44 points.

Their goaltending remains strong, their defence corps is deep with two studs, and they are very well-coached.

But they've also lost a 3rd of their team, including their captain and best centre: Hall, Foligno, Clifton, Nosek, Orlov, Bertuzzi, Hathaway, Bergeron and probably Krecji and replaced them with the likes of Lucic and van Reimsdyk.

Their forward group is a mess; It's hard to picture a team boasting Zacha/Coyle/Geekie as their top 3 down the middle challenging for anything, and their bottom 6 is a mix of fringe guys and has-beens.

And re-signing Frederic and Swayman should put them at or over the cap.

On paper, they look like a bubble team, but I will believe when I see it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think the "Best team in regular season history" was a bit of a mirage, but that's relative; they still made the playoffs by 44 points.

Their goaltending remains strong, their defence corps is deep with two studs, and they are very well-coached.

But they've also lost a 3rd of their team, including their captain and best centre: Hall, Foligno, Clifton, Nosek, Orlov, Bertuzzi, Hathaway, Bergeron and probably Krecji and replaced them with the likes of Lucic and van Reimsdyk.

Their forward group is a mess; It's hard to picture a team boasting Zacha/Coyle/Geekie as their top 3 down the middle challenging for anything, and their bottom 6 is a mix of fringe guys and has-beens.

If I were Boston, I'd be calling on player like Mitts. Pick the goalie you want, trade the other. 

Bergeron was all class. Great captain. Bruins will start their fall now and it'll be fast and hard.

They have 1 good prospect. That's it. One. Lohrei. 

They have 7 UFAs after this year. They have no cap money this year to replace Bergeron with. Their centers are now likely Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederik/possibly a sub par prospect if they use Frederik as a winger or trade him if his arbitration goes badly. 

There's a moment here for non playoff teams like the Sabres to rise up and take their place. Maybe they hang on to a spot if they shift to a more grinding shutdown style (as they have very little offense left aside from Pasternak) but they will end up in full rebuild mold in a year or two tops. Bergeron was aging/slowing but he was still 1C and it'll all fall like dominos now as they really have no true 1C or 2C. Coyle is a decent player, but he's no 1C. Neither is Zacha. 

I'm going to guess Lucic isn't as excited to be a Bruin as he was the day he signed. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

What a wonderful post!! 👍

Bergeron was part of an amazing run of playoff relevance.  

A rookie in 03-04 for the divison’s first place team.  Back in the playoffs in 06-07.  And then only missed in 14-15 and 15-16 playoffs.  If I counted correctly that is 14 playoff seasons.  Just wow.

Michal freaking Grosek was a Bruin during Bergeron’s rookie season.  And Jeff Jilson lol.

Bergeron saw Buffalos’s rise, their fall from grace, and the following decade of darkness.  

Man, what a nice run.

• Like (+1) 1

What an excellent, excellent player. As a hockey fan, I will miss his play.

As a Sabrespacer... good riddance! And take Krejci immediately with you! And may the Bruins look upon this week similar to the week the Sabres lost Briere and Drury and fell from relevancy. Let there be dark days of black and gold ahead.

31 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Class act.  How does this impact or help the B's salary cap???

It doesn't really.

He was a UFA and played on a minimal contract last year.

They remain $5 million under the cap with 2 regulars to sign (Frederic and Swayman) who should use that all up.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.