Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m curious to see who goes over the boards for PK1.

Clifton is one of them with Mule is my guess. EJ with Power/Boosh as PK2.

It's interesting how Jokiharju has disappeared from everyone's depth charts.

(He was one of the most frequent PKer last year, 2nd to Mule if memory serves.

42 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m curious to see who goes over the boards for PK1.

Clifton is one of them with Mule is my guess. EJ with Power/Boosh as PK2.

Would expect it to typically be Clifton-Samuelsson/Johnson and then Johnson/Samuelsson-Lyubushkin.  But in crunch time would expect Dahlin takes a turn out there too.

Would be a way to lower both Dahlin's and Power's loads.  Hopefully they're going to need them to both be good to go 100 or so games.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's interesting how Jokiharju has disappeared from everyone's depth charts.

(He was one of the most frequent PKer last year, 2nd to Mule if memory serves.

Well, expect a lot of people are taking your expectation that Jokiharju ends up as a trade piece to heart.

If this group they have today is what they have come October, expect Jokiharju ends up the 5 just because Granato loves him some Jokiharju with Lyubushkin and Johnson in some sort of a rotation at 6.  But personally, would keep Lyubushkin in the lineup and let Henri and Erik battle it out for 6 because IMHO they'll have more need for a stay at home guy on that 3rd pairing than a 2 way D-man that isn't as solid in his own end.

I wonder if KA has reached out to old teammate Jonathan Toews about his feeling on playing another year. 

He could be load managed in Buffalo, rotating in as 3/4C. He doesn’t have to have the burden of wearing a letter, just help the young guys learn how to win.

I think he could help the PK and he is one of the best at the dot.

I would prefer Joker stay a Sabre. He’s on a fair contract. Fits in with the locker room perfectly. And is a good #5/6 that can play up the lineup if need be and he won’t hurt your D most games.

if a deal comes along that will benefit the Sabres, and the other team wants Joker, then fine, trade him.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I wouldn't since it puts a player out of his element on the Top pair and wastes Muel's talents

I wouldn't necessarily either but how does it put anyone out of their element? Dahlin's playing on his wrong side now. 

As for Muel wasted, it would be a shutdown pairing that plays heavy PK minutes and goes up against top offensive opposition. If you want to roll with heavy minutes  for your top pairing and limited time for the 3rd pairing sure, but it's a long season and having 3 good D pairs isn't a terrible idea. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't necessarily either but how does it put anyone out of their element? Dahlin's playing on his wrong side now. 

As for Muel wasted, it would be a shutdown pairing that plays heavy PK minutes and goes up against top offensive opposition. If you want to roll with heavy minutes  for your top pairing and limited time for the 3rd pairing sure, but it's a long season and having 3 good D pairs isn't a terrible idea. 

For Pesce level acquisition sure, but not with the present roster.

Plus Dahlin is practically the same analytically and looks better on the right side

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

I could see it. That in-depth article that did a deep dive on handedness I posted a link to the other day mentioned Dahlin’s metrics actually looked a bit better on the left (great both sides)

I don’t expect it necessarily but if Clifton outperforms Samuelsson I could see an increased likelihood 

Clifton won't outperform Samuelsson, but he does bring a different dynamic to this team. He played up and down the line up in Boston and he has also spent time on the wrong side when they had multiple injuries. He's not a perfect D man by any stretch, but he is versatile. I think his best pairing is with Power, but some of this might depend on how they plan to use Johnson and whether or not he has anything left in the tank. 

I am wondering if the idea of a veteran mentor for Power for one year isn't in their minds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Right now, there are a lot of possibilities.  But we know Dahlin and Samuelsson play very well together.  Clifton should complement Power's game very well.  So, personally am expecting those 2 pairings barring another D-man being brought in.  Which leaves 2 of Jokiharju/Lyubushkin/Johnson working the 3rd pairing.  With Stillman getting a great view of a lot of games from the pressbox.

But won't be shocked if they run your lines, but will be mildly surprised.

I don't disagree, but I also think we shouldn't make any assumptions on pairings and lines based on last year. 

I am hoping that Granato will start from scratch with winning and playoffs in mind and "development" leashes will be short or non existent. 

Right now the D pairings have a few different options. My biggest concern for this team is PK and face offs. We didn't address that at all. 

(goaltending also remains the biggest question, but there's nothing to discuss there, as the rookie is great or he isn't)

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I wonder if KA has reached out to old teammate Jonathan Toews about his feeling on playing another year. 

He could be load managed in Buffalo, rotating in as 3/4C. He doesn’t have to have the burden of wearing a letter, just help the young guys learn how to win.

I think he could help the PK and he is one of the best at the dot.

If memory serves me right, I believe he played with Okposo at some point in his youth or college as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Clifton won't outperform Samuelsson, but he does bring a different dynamic to this team. He played up and down the line up in Boston and he has also spent time on the wrong side when they had multiple injuries. He's not a perfect D man by any stretch, but he is versatile. I think his best pairing is with Power, but some of this might depend on how they plan to use Johnson and whether or not he has anything left in the tank. 

I am wondering if the idea of a veteran mentor for Power for one year isn't in their minds. 

A veteran mentor doesn't mean he has to be on the ice with him.  Imagine Power coming back to the bench and being able to have Johnson sitting next to him giving him pointers.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Buffalo needs to fine a replacement for Quinn this is a huge issue. 

Do they really want Olofsson  bringing down the cozens line?

He can't be trusted 

They have Quinn's replacement in house, put this organizations forward talent pipeline to work, they don't have to bring in an outsider.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

A veteran mentor doesn't mean he has to be on the ice with him.  Imagine Power coming back to the bench and being able to have Johnson sitting next to him giving him pointers.  

That's definitely true, but an on ice pairing is a constant relationship. It is one of the things we were lacking last year imo. It of course depends on what (if anything) Johnson has left. 

I know we always say “it’s a long summer” but traditionally, after this week GMs take off for about a month for the summer, and action dries up around the league. By the time they are back in the office in August, word is usually that they want to see how things shake out in camp in September before additional tweaks, if any. There’s a reason we always talk about the busy period being around the draft and FA.

If we ARE going to see any more significant additions (ie goalie, a further skater) expect we’d see KA complete them before the end of this week. Always a chance something shakes out a bit later, but I’d be betting on what we see is what we get if we get past Friday without major action 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't necessarily either but how does it put anyone out of their element? Dahlin's playing on his wrong side now

Except that is the side he's been playing on since Juniors.  Is it really the wrong side if he feels more comfortable there?

14 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Why do you say that?

Because the 6/7/8 guys would probably be a combination of players on their ELCs, like Johnson or Novikov, and guys making the minimum, like Stillman.  Maybe one guy making ~$2M mixed in there.

6/7/8 defensemen just don’t usually make that much.

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Except that is the side he's been playing on since Juniors.  Is it really the wrong side if he feels more comfortable there?

Yeah. That whole “wrong side” thing is just stupid.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

It's like telling a switch hitter in baseball they are batting from the wrong side.  The "wrong side" would be the side that a player is less effective at.  However, how wrong it is would depend on the gap between playing the other side. 

Some people cannot stand flexibility and need rigid structures.

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

I only meant "wrong side" with the traditional shoots left or shoots right thing. I personally think the righty/lefty aspect is not a huge thing on D for many players. Power played "wrong" side at the worlds too and was just fine. Clifton's played both sides. The important thing is who pairs best with him and how you utilize that pairing situationally. 

My personal view is usually pairings of a more offensive puck moving guy with a more physical stay at home guy and so I liked the Dahlin Samuelsson pairing and would probably keep that but idk what they have planned. Having said that though, 2 guys who click together and communicate well covering for each other in a system where when one rushes one drops in support etc etc is invaluable and that just has to be found by Granato and stuck with. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

His numbers are better on the left but not by a ton. Ideally he’s on the left but if him being on the right allows us to roster a better player it’s worth it because of how proficient Dahlin is on his off hand, which, for most players, IS the wrong side. Dahlin makes it work because he’s Dahlin. Some can, most can’t 

Adams attention to ensuring almost all of his D played almost all their minutes on their “proper” hand illustrates the level of consideration 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.