Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

2 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Please no Hellebuyck, I seen him enough when playing Vegas and he gets lit up. I would call him Connor Hellasuck! No, to Tatar and Tarasenko. 

Is there more than one poster making this point, or just you repeating the same thing over and over?

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is there more than one poster making this point, or just you repeating the same thing over and over?

FWIW, posters on HfBoards from LV agree with his assessment.

Feels like one of those group-think echo chamber opinions.

A select group comes to a similar conclusion based on a small sample size and the fact they agree and loudly repeat it as fact entrenches an opinion as a fact.

It’s basically the heartbeat of Twitter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Helle isn’t that good and isn’t worth the contract hell

Is there anyone who is “that good”?

Any time anyone proposes a goalie, somebody responds with a version of this.

Not pointing fingers at you, it’s something we all seem to be guilty of. Goaltending really does seem to be in the eye of the beholder.

My reading of this board is that the only goalie we’d all be happy with Saros, and even then only if we didn’t pay too much.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not pointing fingers at you, it’s something we all seem to be guilty of. Goaltending really does seem to be in the eye of the beholder.

My reading of this board is that the only goalie we’d all be happy with Saros, and even then only if we didn’t pay too much.

Some of us don’t believe goalies are worth the contract or the ones that are don’t become available. 

Boston is already trying to get rid of Ullmark for example 

Edited by triumph_communes

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I get your question.

His NHL career save percentage is .916. That’s really good. A Vezina finalist three times in the last six years. 

But the guy who has seasons in Vegas said he sucks, so that matter has been settled. 

30 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Some of us don’t believe goalies are worth the contract or the ones that are don’t become available. 

Boston is already trying to get rid of Ullmark for example 

You’ve been very consistent in saying that Levi will be a good starter, so why should we pay a bushel to to grab someone he’s going to make redundant anyway?

Part of me thinks you’ve got a point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sweetlou said:

I know Domi is looking for term, but if he doesn't get it, should the Sabres offer him a 1 yr $5 million to play with Cozens and JJP?

I think you're a little late here.  And he didn't cost Toronto anywhere near $5M.

Edited by Eleven

4 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I know Domi is looking for term, but if he doesn't get it, should the Sabres offer him a 1 yr $5 million to play with Cozens and JJP?

I'm also still very interested Tatar for one year.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think you're a little late here.  And he didn't cost Toronto anywhere near $5M.

Yep

13 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Helle is very good, but isn't worth the contract hell. 

Then bring him in for a year. He will allow Levi to develop properly and he will let all the young guys to grow and develop next year. Hellebuyck/Levi will be the best tandem in the league and let them go on a long run and gain the experience they need to be successful for years to come.

All that development is worth the purchase price

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Then bring him in for a year. He will allow Levi to develop properly and he will let all the young guys to grow and develop next year. Hellebuyck/Levi will be the best tandem in the league and let them go on a long run and gain the experience they need to be successful for years to come.

This is what I’m saying. Don’t give the Jets much, but more importantly, don’t give Helle a contract either. Use him to ease Levi in for a year. Then bid him farewell for his tutelage. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

We have had terrible goaltending for so long that the fanbase does not even know it anymore.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Please no Hellebuyck, I seen him enough when playing Vegas and he gets lit up. I would call him Connor Hellasuck! No, to Tatar and Tarasenko. 

So Levi can play the 3 games vs Vegas. Hellebuyck didn’t become a Vezina finalist by sucking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

So Levi can play the 3 games vs Vegas. Hellebuyck didn’t become a Vezina finalist by sucking.

And he certainly hasn’t sucked against Vegas either. Go read the most recent posts in the summer trades thread. I think Vegas fans pulled a Hangover while watching Jets games. I just want to know which one is Alan. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

For one year at the right price, I'd be fine with it. But if WPG is looking for a big haul, and I think they are, that likely involves a very hefty extension.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Say the price was Rosen for one year of Hellebuyck. Rosen may never get any kind of important role with Buffalo or even develop into a good NHLer. No one sees him as the best prospect, but if he turns into a good player there are so many comparable ones in the Sabres system that it will not crater the organization.

After a year of Hellebuyck maybe Levi is ready to fly solo, maybe he is not as good as everyone thought, maybe Hellebuyck loves it and wants to extend at a reasonable price.
There are options and the cost may not be crazy for a good year with a great chance at a playoff run.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.