Sabres #39 pick: Anton Wahlberg, 6'3" Center

LGR4GM

54 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Need them now...not in 3 years. 

We’re gonna need defensemen playing every year. And there’s no when you’re drafting in the second round that’s going to give you anything now.

27 minutes ago, MattPie said:

And given where the Sabres are with assets, this may be the right call. Fill the pipeline via picks, and handle now by trading current talent surplus (forwards) to fill the  holes. Sure, they could trade picks for players too, but then they'd end up trading the surplus players for picks years from now taking even longer to fill the pipeline.

From your keyboard to God's eyes...

• Like (+1) 2

A July birthday who got significantly better as the season went on, particularly his skating. He's an end to end highlight reel in a filled out 6'3'' frame. Easy to be cautious about big and physically mature skaters imposing their will on their age group, but it looks like he more than held his own in the SHL. 

From Cam Robinson, scouting Malmo (SHL) (note: end of season in March, 2023):

This was my first look at Wahlberg this season, and I’ve gotta say, I was impressed. He was highly competitive out there. He battled for space, he battled for pucks, he was relentless on the forecheck. Clearly, this is a player with good size and good speed. He kept his game simple with the puck, but was considerate without it. He lurked around for open spaces, he connected on the timing to receive, move and give it back. He even tallied an empty-netter. Really strong performance from the 17-year-old.

From Jimmy Hamrin, scouting Malmo (SHL) (also March 2023):

This is the best game I have ever seen from Wahlberg. He was a forechecking beast! He played fast and physically. He won puck battles, drove break ups and connected on offence. He was awarded with an empty netter to secure a big win for his club. Last game, he got benched late for being a defensive risk. In this game he was used all the way and got to play to defend the lead when Brynäs pulled the goalie. He played on a line with veteran Carl Söderberg and they connected well. He filled in on open spots, had some good give-and-go situations. He backchecked relentlessly. He seeked the inside, got in front of the net. Wahlberg supported well but played more to instinct than with strategy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

A July birthday who got significantly better as the season went on, particularly his skating. He's an end to end highlight reel in a filled out 6'3'' frame. Easy to be cautious about big and physically mature skaters imposing their will on their age group, but it looks like he more than held his own in the SHL. 

From Cam Robinson, scouting Malmo (SHL) (note: end of season in March, 2023):

This was my first look at Wahlberg this season, and I’ve gotta say, I was impressed. He was highly competitive out there. He battled for space, he battled for pucks, he was relentless on the forecheck. Clearly, this is a player with good size and good speed. He kept his game simple with the puck, but was considerate without it. He lurked around for open spaces, he connected on the timing to receive, move and give it back. He even tallied an empty-netter. Really strong performance from the 17-year-old.

From Jimmy Hamrin, scouting Malmo (SHL) (also March 2023):

This is the best game I have ever seen from Wahlberg. He was a forechecking beast! He played fast and physically. He won puck battles, drove break ups and connected on offence. He was awarded with an empty netter to secure a big win for his club. Last game, he got benched late for being a defensive risk. In this game he was used all the way and got to play to defend the lead when Brynäs pulled the goalie. He played on a line with veteran Carl Söderberg and they connected well. He filled in on open spots, had some good give-and-go situations. He backchecked relentlessly. He seeked the inside, got in front of the net. Wahlberg supported well but played more to instinct than with strategy.

The size and speed and backchecking "relentlessly" with the big league SHL club is good to see, as is the coach trusting him more from one game to the next. Outworking the opposition is always a welcome trait.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's easy if you pay attention to Adams preferences for compete and upside and believe his mantra of best player available.

He says that but doesn't always follow that rule.  No other way to explain that goaltender pick last year. He clearly wasn't the BPA.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

"The trades you don't make..."

Wahlberg is interesting because the more you find to watch the more you see the skill but... really needs some development love. Raw and skilled with a lot of upside, should be interesting to see how he progresses this upcoming year. I think he is 3 years away from the NHL. 1 in Sweden, 2 in the AHL. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wahlberg's contract has only one more year in Sweden.

This is the neat part. 2024-25 season in Rochester battling with Kozak for that grinder 3C role.

2024-25 could be a wild ride in Rochester. Östlund in the fold. Neuchev in a second season. Probably the final half-season showing of either Rosen or Kulich before they're both in the NHL for good. Novikov, Komarov, and Lindgren on the backend.

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"The trades you don't make..."

Wahlberg is interesting because the more you find to watch the more you see the skill but... really needs some development love. Raw and skilled with a lot of upside, should be interesting to see how he progresses this upcoming year. I think he is 3 years away from the NHL. 1 in Sweden, 2 in the AHL. 

Sucks Peca won’t be here to coach him up.  

• Like (+1) 1

Cory Pronman’s (The Athletic) Day two rankings - we landed #4 & 5. 

4. Anton Wahlberg, C, MALMO JR. (SWEDEN-JR.)

July 4, 2005 | 6′ 3″ | 192 pounds

Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Pierre Engvall

Background: Wahlberg was an all situations player for Malmo’s J20 team and a top-six forward for Sweden’s U18 team. He got called up to Malmo late in the season where he played a notable role, including in their relegation-round games.

Analysis: Wahlberg’s raw toolkit instantly stand out when you watch. He’s a 6-foot-3 forward who can move very well for his size and has legit offensive skills. The way he can pull pucks by opposing defensemen while moving at a fast pace looks like an NHL forward. He plays a direct style and with his frame plus speed can get to the net very well. I don’t think he’s overly physical, but he has some bite in him, gets to the net, and coaches tend to lean on him. Wahlberg’s biggest issue is a lack of vision and so-so decision making with the puck. Wahlberg played center in the J20 level but played wing with Sweden’s U18 team and in the SHL. If he can score just somewhat as a pro, with his size and speed he will have an NHL career as a middle six forward, whether down the middle or the wing, and I think he’s trending that way.

5. Maxim Strbak, RHD, SIOUX FALLS (USHL)

April 13, 2005 | 6′ 1″ | 198 pounds

Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: High-end

Player comparable: Ben Chiarot

Background: Strbak hasn’t put up big offensive numbers in club play between the USHL and Finland’s junior league over the last two seasons. On the international stage he’s been leaned on though. Strbak played a major role on Slovakia’s world junior team, including a 22-minute performance against Canada in the quarterfinals that went to overtime. He was a leading player for Slovakia’s U18 team this season, which went to the semifinals at the worlds. Strbak was a top-four defenseman on the Slovakia team that won silver at the 2021 Hlinka Gretzky. He made Slovakia’s 2022 world junior team as a 16-year-old and was a big part of the club that got Slovakia promoted at the U18 level last spring. He is committed to Michigan State University.

Analysis: Strbak is a defense-first defenseman. He’s a tall, right shot who is mobile and makes a lot of stops due to his reach, feet, physicality and excellent compete level. He brings a strong effort every night, and coaches tend to lean on him in tough situations. I don’t see him as a legit scorer and puck-mover in the NHL, but he’s good enough with the puck, can skate pucks up, and can make enough plays to survive at higher levels. I think he will be a second or third pair defenseman in the NHL depending on the level of offense he brings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.