Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

6 minutes ago, NAF said:

Do you ever have anything positive to say or is it just constant negativity in the form of gibberish and incomplete sentences? What would you have done then? Adams was definitely working the phones trying to make a move... 

For one I wouldn't have picked at 13  There's more important things than worrying about forward 

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a very real possibility.

So hes making the team? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

For one I wouldn't have picked at 13  There's more important things than worrying about forward 

So hes making the team? 

It’s possible. This kid is a top 5/6 talent and we have a slot open with Quinn now on IR.  Will it happen? Doubt it. The Sabres have no interest in rushing players to the NHL any longer.  

He and Savoie are kind of in limbo.  They are probably to good for the CHL and not physically ready for the NHL.  They should go the AHL, but that isn’t what the CHL/NHL agreement allows.  

If I had to make a wager, whoever has the best camp will get a tryout to start the season in Buffalo to see if they are physically ready.  Ultimately both end up back in the CHL to make a Memorial Cup run. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s possible. This kid is a top 5/6 talent and we have a slot open with Quinn now on IR.  Will it happen? Doubt it. The Sabres have no interest in rushing players to the NHL any longer.  

He and Savoie are kind of in limbo.  They are probably to good for the CHL and not physically ready for the NHL.  They should go the AHL, but that isn’t what the CHL/NHL agreement allows.  

If I had to make a wager, whoever has the best camp will get a tryout to start the season in Buffalo to see if they are physically ready.  Ultimately both end up back in the CHL to make a Memorial Cup run. 

Quinns on i.r. ?

6 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

I see, Krebs and Middlestat have been leading Sabres to Playoffs past two years? Rosen has more goals then either in 2022-2023 with playoffs and Worlds.

Past year Kulich and Rosen have led their team to the Playoffs and scored. Went to the Worlds and led their teams and also Scored, Kulich won the Championship!

Not saying those players are NOT good but there is no room for them after this year. Guarantee you Kulich and Rousek are in the Sabres future. Rosen could be trade bait but I know for a fact Adams loves him, was picked 14th. Proven he can score in the AHL from Mid season on. By the way, that is what Quinn did too!!!

Why are you insisting on rushing Rosen?  He is still not strong enough and he will get stomped in the NHL. 

Comparing Rosen to Quinn:   Rosen is more than a full year younger, he is 2 inches shorter, he is at least 15 pounds lighter, he does not have an NHL 2-way game  - he is not ready.  He needs another year in the AHL at least. 

Kulich will get a good look in camp and so will Rousek and Savoie.   With Quinn now injured and out for awhile one of them will get a much longer look.  

Thinking that these Rochester players like Rosen and Kulich are going to replace Krebs and Mitts and improve the team THIS YEAR is not reality.  

Who did Granato go to for first line support when Tage was hurt?  Answer:  Mitts 

Who did Granato give key shut down responsibilities to as the season went on?  Answer: Krebs 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is my assessment as well.

I do think we could see a dual tryout. You don't want both Savoie and Benson on the roster at the same time and you don't want to crush their WHL team by doing so, either. So I could see Savoie getting his 8 games, then the conditioning assignment, WJC and back to Wenatchee. And when he's done, Benson gets 8 games to get his NHL taste before going to WJCs/WHL. But both will need at least an entire season to build up their bodies so they don't get toppled in every loose puck battle.

Next season, they can compete for an NHL spot, but the AHL is waiting for them to fill out their frames as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I do think we could see a dual tryout. You don't want both Savoie and Benson on the roster at the same time and you don't want to crush their WHL team by doing so, either. So I could see Savoie getting his 8 games, then the conditioning assignment, WJC and back to Wenatchee. And when he's done, Benson gets 8 games to get his NHL taste before going to WJCs/WHL. But both will need at least an entire season to build up their bodies so they don't get toppled in every loose puck battle.

Next season, they can compete for an NHL spot, but the AHL is waiting for them to fill out their frames as well.

Benson would have to start the season in the NHL to get a tryout, though, right? 

• Thanks (+1) 2

Benson won't be able to immediately play his game in the NHL. He will need time to grow and transition gradually otherwise he'll get crushed. Remember, the NHL is where the world's best hockey players play - even a 4th liner is good compared to the typical competition the elite guys see in the lower leagues.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's just the worst idea 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I definitely don't care about this one way or the other.  What happens to that WHL team, happens.

Maybe but if you are developing relationships so you get the best insight you dont want screw up those relationships plus James Patrick you dont want to screw that up

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe but if you are developing relationships so you get the best insight you dont want screw up those relationships plus James Patrick you dont want to screw that up

Patrick isn't with the organization anymore but I do get your larger point.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Benson won't be able to immediately play his game in the NHL. He will need time to grow and transition gradually otherwise he'll get crushed. Remember, the NHL is where the world's best hockey players play - even a 4th liner is good compared to the typical competition the elite guys see in the lower leagues.

Maybe - some players can and do make the transition pretty smoothly, just not as likely

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why not keep both of them in Buffalo for their 9 game tryouts which gets you through nearly 1/4 of the season before they have to go back and about then Quinn should be ready and if he isn't then Kulich gets his look.

Washington won't be happy about it, but tough noogies.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Why not keep both of them in Buffalo for their 9 game tryouts which gets you through nearly 1/4 of the season before they have to go back and about then Quinn should be ready and if he isn't then Kulich gets his look.

Washington won't be happy about it, but tough noogies.

Need two roster spots for that to happen and where do they play? 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Need two roster spots for that to happen and where do they play? 

Keep 7 D-men and 14 F's.  If an injury happens, somebody else can get called up.  Easy-peazy.

Where do they play?  F on any of the 2nd - 4th lines.

I haven't commented yet, but after reading the comments so far...

-Some seem to think he has a chance of making the team with Quinn being out. I think there is virtually no chance of that.

-I like reading that a lot of sites/pundits say he should have/could have gone higher. That is good.  I'm not a big fan of the way they describe his style of play. I mean, nothing wrong with great vision, hard work in the D-zone and one of the best playmakers in the draft.  Its just me, personally, I like wingers sho may be lacking in those areas IF they are kinda fast and kinda big at the same time, or just plain fast.

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Care to make an interesting? Charity bet. $25 to a charity

I’ll bet $25 he doesn’t play a game before December if I can specify my donation will go to the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

A friend utilized the charity before when his infant son was having bypass surgery and I have zero qualms about donating to them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

I’ll bet $25 he doesn’t play a game before December if I can specify my donation will go to the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

A friend utilized the charity before when his infant son was having bypass surgery and I have zero qualms about donating to them.

You can name any charity you want. 👍🏼

I won’t take that bet though. I agree he probably won’t play a game before December 1.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.