Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

Well, of course we ended up with the little guy. What else could I have expected? 

In fairness, my first choice Reinbacher went super early and my hopeful choice went a little early as well in Danielson (Yzerman is a smart man). Benson fell further than expected. Size obviously the issue (plus the Yotes with Simashev way early go figure that one) so he's maybe the most skilled at that point, but if it had been me at that point I would have gone with Wood. 

He could be good, he could be very good, but once again the size question will linger until he actually IS good at the NHL level. 

As an aside, Michkov to the Flyers seems right and most of round 1 felt right aside from the Yotes who are insane. Speaking of Philly though I was hoping for Bonk with their pick in round 2 but obviously they took him early and so much for that.  

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

I have just trademarked “The Concept of Zack Benson.”

Be careful with Sabres 13OA picks named Zack.

Just now, Curt said:

I wonder if Benson is going to grow anymore.  He is fairly young for the draft and he kind of looks like a 15 year old tomboy.  If he ends up being 5’11” 190 five years from now, woah, watch out.

According to @LGR4GM his birth month of May indicates a maximum height of 8'3", but he also could shrink to 4'5".

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I love this kid. Everything about him is perfect: attitude, skill, the way he instinctively uses his team mates and how he thinks around the opposing players, the look in his eyes makes me smile. 

As @LGR4GM said, he is instantly our best prospect. He's young and could easily grow a few more inches before seeing the NHL. 

This kid was a steal and we're going to love him when he gets here.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ... said:

I love this kid. Everything about him is perfect: attitude, skill, the way he instinctively uses his team mates and how he thinks around the opposing players, the look in his eyes makes me smile. 

As @LGR4GM said, he is instantly our best prospect. He's young and could easily grow a few more inches before seeing the NHL. 

This kid was a steal and we're going to love him when he gets here.

There was lots of talk of a top 6 in this draft of Bedard, Fantelli, Michkov, Carlsson, Smith, and Benson who some felt were all good enough to be 1st overall options in other years. I felt Benson was a hair below the other 5 but it he improved his skating (he's agile) to get more burst he could slide into that grouping. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There was lots of talk of a top 6 in this draft of Bedard, Fantelli, Michkov, Carlsson, Smith, and Benson who some felt were all good enough to be 1st overall options in other years. I felt Benson was a hair below the other 5 but it he improved his skating (he's agile) to get more burst he could slide into that grouping. 

Yup, if you didn't think size mattered he was top 10 for sure. Second year in a row we've picked the guy who dropped because of his size. Time will tell if it's the right thing to do or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup, if you didn't think size mattered he was top 10 for sure. Second year in a row we've picked the guy who dropped because of his size. Time will tell if it's the right thing to do or not. 

I'd like to take this moment to say we agree on something. 

Nature is healing. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

it feels like we have 10 top 6 F prospects.

Think of it as a conveyor belt.  Some of the 10 prospects will not be ready in for years, some will not hit at all, some won't be best used in the top 6 (maybe Rousek will replace Girgs eventually for instance), some may end up being used for capital to plug other holes on the team.

I like that Benson has a lot of experience with and appears to be Savoie's partner. Roch should be dynamite in the next couple years. I do like my Krebbs and hope they don't trade him now. Tons of potential, but like the Bills offense, there's only one ball/puck and with all that talent, how do you distribute it? I do wish they let Okposo and Girgs go and let the youth movement totally take over. Should be interesting who Buffalo gets as RHD4.

What makes this pick such a smart one is that it gives us a lot of flexibility when it comes to making trades. We have a solid selection of forward prospects, if we lose one or two of them it won't hurt the forward pipeline at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.