According to Pierre Lebrun, Sabres have interest in Brett Pesce.

inkman

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Tanev shoots right, has 2 years left on a very reasonable contract and is from Toronto. Analytics say he’s elite defensively only behind Macavoy in the entire NHL. He’d be perfect for Powers. He provides very little offensively but that is pretty irrelevant. 

Oloffson and a 2nd for Tanev is more than a fair offer (maybe too much). CGY needs wingers desperately.

I put on my CGY GM helmet...   I kind of like this, but I'm reluctant to swap for someone who might walk, or if we're good enough at the deadline to make the playoffs I won't be willing to sell off. A bunch of that team is ready to be rentals or walk at the end of the season and VO would be another.

I'd counter by asking Jost and his RFA control and the 2nd for Tanev; then I'd maybe have a replacement for Lindholm for more than a single season.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I guess we shall see how Conroy handles it in the wake of the recent mass revolt, but the early reports were that Calgary was more interested in a retool than a rebuild.

If that’s the case, I’m wondering if the deal could be based around Hanifin for Olofsson and Jokiharju?

I realize I’ll get flamed by the “Joker and VO are trash” crowd, but the fact is Vic is a 25-goal scoring PP weapon and Henri is a 24-year-old, mobile,  minute-munching RHD. They have value.

And it’s an old school hockey trade, the likes of which teams made all the time prior to the cap era.

From the Flames perspective they downgrade on a top 4 D, but add a cheaper contract who is under team control for a lot longer than a year at a hard-to-fill position for a player who was going to walk, as well as filling a big hole up front.

It’s pretty easy to see them imagining Huberdeau to VO lighting things up with the man advantage. And as Brawndo says, if Vic doesn’t fit into their long-term plans, he’ll be pretty easy to flip.

The Sabres will have to backfill on the 3rd pair, but they’ve upgraded their top 4 with a talented player who suits their timeline.

Maybe there’s an add somewhere, and I apologize for the “our trash for your good player” nature of this idea, but I can see a world where it might make sense.

Think if it comes with an extension for Hanifin we're tossing in 45 overall to make it work. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Tanev shoots right, has 2 years left on a very reasonable contract and is from Toronto. Analytics say he’s elite defensively only behind Macavoy in the entire NHL. He’d be perfect for Powers. He provides very little offensively but that is pretty irrelevant. 

Oloffson and a 2nd for Tanev is more than a fair offer (maybe too much). CGY needs wingers desperately.

Tanev only has one year left and then UFA, rather have Dillon from Jets.

If they get Hanifin without an extension, they have almost a year to convince him to sign.

The situation will be better than Calgary, who badly need a new rink. They seem to have a lot of guys wanting out.

He may love playing for DG. KA will make him feel appreciated. He will be in the USA. He will be closer to home. The group is tight and are learning to play for each other. The dressing room is full of guys around his age, he would be a veteran. His role beside an emerging star on D. The team is improving and ready for contention, especially with him. There is cap space to get a good deal.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Oh hell yes on Tanev. 

He is from York just outside of Toronto and played at RIT I imagine convincing him to come to Buffalo wouldn’t be that hard 

I'm wondering if Tanev would be the best fit for Power. I have a sense that he has some "Loose Cannon" in him and that makes me concerned about his helping with the development of Power. Then there is also the question about how well he fits in the locker room. I could be totally wrong about this and will happily be corrected by those who know better. 

44 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

I'm wondering if Tanev would be the best fit for Power. I have a sense that he has some "Loose Cannon" in him and that makes me concerned about his helping with the development of Power. Then there is also the question about how well he fits in the locker room. I could be totally wrong about this and will happily be corrected by those who know better. 

Have never heard that about him. And with 1 year left on contract (I was corrected when I incorrectly said 2) he wouldn’t be all that expensive. He would help solve the PK problem and the lack of quality defensive defenseman

• Like (+1) 2

IF Calgary is retooling, and they seem to be.  What would it take to get Hannifan AND Tanev?  Will assume that @Brawndo's ask of Olofsson and Jokiharju would be the start of the package.  What else would be needed?

That would have the Sabres top 6 very solid and they'd be able to bring in another UFA in the 6/7 mold to have pretty much 10 deep between actual NHLers and tweeners and they MIGHT be 8 deep in NHLers.

Still would prefer Graves and 1 of those 2, but just curious what people think it would take to help Conroy facilitate the continuation of the mass exodus that  began last year with Gaudreau and Tkachuk getting out of Dodge.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF Calgary is retooling, and they seem to be.  What would it take to get Hannifan AND Tanev?  Will assume that @Brawndo's ask of Olofsson and Jokiharju would be the start of the package.  What else would be needed?

That would have the Sabres top 6 very solid and they'd be able to bring in another UFA in the 6/7 mold to have pretty much 10 deep between actual NHLers and tweeners and they MIGHT be 8 deep in NHLers.

Still would prefer Graves and 1 of those 2, but just curious what people think it would take to help Conroy facilitate the continuation of the mass exodus that  began last year with Gaudreau and Tkachuk getting out of Dodge.

I think you're looking at two firsts on top of Olofsson and Jokiharju and I'm not sure I hate it.  But it is going to create a cap crunch down the road.  If the Sabres can get some cost certainty on Dahlin/Power first, I'd be happier.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think you're looking at two firsts on top of Olofsson and Jokiharju and I'm not sure I hate it.  But it is going to create a cap crunch down the road.  If the Sabres can get some cost certainty on Dahlin/Power first, I'd be happier.

Alternative thought...maybe on one 1st.  Joki is a former 1st rounder as well and perhaps could eventually become something more than a 5/6 on another team.  VO might fetch a 2nd round equivalent.  So I guess I am wondering if Joki, VO and one 1st might work with team that is facing a major challenge retaining its existing players?

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Alternative thought...maybe on one 1st.  Joki is a former 1st rounder as well and perhaps could eventually become something more than a 5/6 on another team.  VO might fetch a 2nd round equivalent.  So I guess I am wondering if Joki, VO and one 1st might work with team that is facing a major challenge retaining its existing players?

Yeah I don't think a hypothetical trade partner is going to overvalue Joker like that.  And I actually think he's a precious part of the defense--I know a lot of other folks don't.  Frankly I'd rather keep him but for Hanifin AND Tanev, like @Taro T proposed?  If the Sabres can make the *future* cap work, I'm in.  With the two firsts.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Still worried about that cap crunch?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.