Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

23 hours ago, ddaryl said:

TB is over the cap aren't they? Stamkos is 33 years old. A major teardown and rebuild is happening sooner than later. I think TB just wants to keep this team together for 1 more run at it. Extensions for Stamkos would have to come at a team discount

He will be 34 when his next contract starts, what exactly does he want for his next deal is the question.

If I'm Tampa, If he wants an increase in pay and/or more than 2-3 years on a deal, I'm walking away.  Even a 3 year deal has him ending that deal when he will be 38 years old. I don't want to be going beyond that at all, and not paying even what he is getting paid now.  If they are 100% SURE they will be a legit top 5 team in the league with him on a new deal and contending for the cup, then MAYBE...but I'd much rather re-tool than pay for a still-very-good-but-aging-into-his-late-30's guy.

• Agree 2

Tampa needs to reflect on how they got into their current cap situation. I would give him a reasonable extension, but no way would I be giving him the obligatory NTC that they usually give out to all their players. Extend him with a tradable contract. Otherwise, he can go elsewhere, which I bet he would be loath to do. 

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

Tampa needs to reflect on how they got into their current cap situation. I would give him a reasonable extension, but no way would I be giving him the obligatory NTC that they usually give out to all their players. Extend him with a tradable contract. Otherwise, he can go elsewhere, which I bet he would be loath to do. 

My guess is that reflection would be, 'we won two Stanley Cups the last four seasons.' And the reflection would end there.

10 years after bringing the city of Halifax a Memorial Cup Championship the Mooseheads have retired MacKinnon's number 22.

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/sports/nathan-mackinnon-reflects-on-time-with-mooseheads-at-jersey-retirement-it-was-a-very-special-time-in-my-life-100894811/

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, jad1 said:

My guess is that reflection would be, 'we won two Stanley Cups the last four seasons.' And the reflection would end there.

The past is the past. Are you suggesting they should hand out the same contracts they have over the last 6-7 years because they’ll likely win another 2 Cups in the next 4 years?

34 minutes ago, kas23 said:

The past is the past. Are you suggesting they should hand out the same contracts they have over the last 6-7 years because they’ll likely win another 2 Cups in the next 4 years?

No, that would be silly. But this “reflection on how they got here” isn’t really going to change much. When Tampa built their team, they knew they were sacrificing some of their future for short term success. The short term success worked out as they won 2 cups and appeared in another. 

12 hours ago, Two or less said:

What is up with all the split-squad preseason games where teams play 2 games in one night? Has the baseball spring training vibes. When did that become a thing?

I remember first seeing this in the 1990's.  I think it was Phil Esposito's idea with Tampa Bay.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, Two or less said:

What is up with all the split-squad preseason games where teams play 2 games in one night? Has the baseball spring training vibes. When did that become a thing?

Pretty sure the idea was to get the required number of preseason games done as quickly as possible and allow for full practices and assessment with all players other days. Otherwise, especially at the start, you have too many guys in the press box or having a night off. Training camps are pretty squished and I think shorter than they used to be back in the day. 

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Isn’t their backup Johansson?

Maybe they will look at snagging UPL or Comrie on waivers.

Not sure who their backup is.  But they'll be pretty far down the waiver wire list for the 1st couple of weeks of the year regardless of their on-ice results.  That's the sort of team that might be open to a trade for a backup with NHL experience.  (Even if it isn't exactly stellar experience.  Sometimes beggars can't be choosers.)

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure who their backup is.  But they'll be pretty far down the waiver wire list for the 1st couple of weeks of the year regardless of their on-ice results.  That's the sort of team that might be open to a trade for a backup with NHL experience.  (Even if it isn't exactly stellar experience.  Sometimes beggars can't be choosers.)

It’s Johansson 

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Taro T said:

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It’s Johansson 

Also, is there a cap squeeze issue?

Not sure how LTIR works exactly for a 10-week injury.

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also, is there a cap squeeze issue?

Not sure how LTIR works exactly for a 10-week injury.

Even with the Seabrook Contract on LTIR, they are 73k over the cap. 

Putting Vas on LTIR opens an additional 9.5 Million in space, but they will need to have room to bring him back 

34 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

In lieu of the Bolts news, there’s no way Comrie or UPL slip through waivers, right? Either have to be an upgrade over Jonas or Hugo Alnefelt.
The Bolts window is now…they have to do something. 

The Bolts likely do have to do something.  Which is why with having the 20th spot in the waiver claim order they might not want to chance one of 19 other teams taking the guy they want when they could give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder and land the guy.

Not saying they'll want UPL or Comrie, but they might.  And if they do, they might not want to risk getting one for free.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

The Bolts likely do have to do something.  Which is why with having the 20th spot in the waiver claim order they might not want to chance one of 19 other teams taking the guy they want when they could give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder and land the guy.

Not saying they'll want UPL or Comrie, but they might.  And if they do, they might not want to risk getting one for free.

That’s an interesting angle, I wonder who is on their radar.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

In lieu of the Bolts news, there’s no way Comrie or UPL slip through waivers, right? Either have to be an upgrade over Jonas or Hugo Alnefelt.
The Bolts window is now…they have to do something. 

I honestly do not think anyone would claim UPL. Comrie is a tiny maybe for a team like Tampa but people grossly overvalue UPL's worth around here.