A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Even though we got a great return for Ristolainen, I wanted to expose him instead of Borgen.

That's fair.

Risto turned into Hagg, Rosen, Karlsson, and the 2023 PHI 2nd still to be determined.

Joker (1st rounder) had just been acquired for a 1st rounder; they weren't going to keep Borgen over that investment.

They should have exposed Bjork and gone 4F-4D with Borgen, but he was the fresh new acquisition from the Hall trade and no one wants to give up on their newly traded-for piece. But then, maybe Seattle takes Skinner or Okposo and there's no 1st liner resurgence or Dad-figure? (Doubtful, it's true, because cost. But it could've happened.)

Edited by DarthEbriate

54 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's fair.

Risto turned into Hagg, Rosen, Karlsson, and the 2023 PHI 2nd still to be determined.

Joker (1st rounder) had just been acquired for a 1st rounder; they weren't going to keep Borgen over that investment.

They should have exposed Bjork and gone 4F-4D with Borgen, but he was the fresh new acquisition from the Hall trade and no one wants to give up on their newly traded-for piece. But then, maybe Seattle takes Skinner or Okposo and there's no 1st liner resurgence or Dad-figure? (Doubtful, it's true, because cost. But it could've happened.)

We likely lose Thompson if we go 4/4 due to Botts being on Seattle’s staff

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's fair.

Jeff Skinner has a nmc, they had to protect him. 

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We likely lose Thompson if we go 4/4 due to Botts being on Seattle’s staff

If he's unprotected. The Sabres GM/coaching staff was still very high on TNT's potential. Super-duper hindsight says we protect: Eichel, Reino, Tage, Mitts, Dahlin, Risto (to trade), Joker, Borgen, and Ullmark. It would depend on what Seattle's leadership thought of VO, knowing he was not a defensive forward but had a lethal shot. They probably take Asplund if this is the 4+4 setup.

Who the Sabres Protected in 2021: Asplund (F), Bjork (F), Eichel (F), Mittelstadt (F), Olofsson (F), Reinhart (F), Thompson (F), Dahlin (D), Jokiharju (D), Ristolainen (D), Ullmark (G)

Available in 2021: Caggiula (F), Dea (F), Eakin (F), Fogarty (F), Girgensons (F), Oglevie (F), Okposo (F), Rieder (F), Sheahan (F), Skinner (F), Smith (F), Borgen (D), Davidson (D), Irwin (D), McCabe (D), Miller (D), Nelson (D), Houser (G), Hutton (G), Tokarski (G)

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner has a nmc, they had to protect him. 

He waived his NMC with about a week before the expansion draft knowing Seattle was staying away $9M/yr and coming off a 7-goal season.

12 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

If he's unprotected. The Sabres GM/coaching staff was still very high on TNT's potential. Super-duper hindsight says we protect: Eichel, Reino, Tage, Mitts, Dahlin, Risto (to trade), Joker, Borgen, and Ullmark. It would depend on what Seattle's leadership thought of VO, knowing he was not a defensive forward but had a lethal shot. They probably take Asplund if this is the 4+4 setup.

Who the Sabres Protected in 2021: Asplund (F), Bjork (F), Eichel (F), Mittelstadt (F), Olofsson (F), Reinhart (F), Thompson (F), Dahlin (D), Jokiharju (D), Ristolainen (D), Ullmark (G)

Available in 2021: Caggiula (F), Dea (F), Eakin (F), Fogarty (F), Girgensons (F), Oglevie (F), Okposo (F), Rieder (F), Sheahan (F), Skinner (F), Smith (F), Borgen (D), Davidson (D), Irwin (D), McCabe (D), Miller (D), Nelson (D), Houser (G), Hutton (G), Tokarski (G)

He waived his NMC with about a week before the expansion draft knowing Seattle was staying away $9M/yr and coming off a 7-goal season.

This is easy, but hindsight is 20/20. Should’ve protected Toker/Houser/Hutton over Ullmark. KA should’ve had a better gauge he was going to sign elsewhere. Judging by their goalie shopping spree that offseason, Seattle wouldn’t have been able to resist and would’ve taken Ullmark and we would’ve retained Borgen. 

I honestly cannot f####ng believe this board is still bitching and moaning over #5 defender Will Borgen. I want KA to fix the defense simply so I can stop hearing about the Legend of Will Borgen, depth defender extraordinaire. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I honestly cannot f####ng believe this board is still bitching and moaning over #5 defender Will Borgen. I want KA to fix the defense simply so I can stop hearing about the Legend of Will Borgen, depth defender extraordinaire. 

Just wait until Miles Wood and Marcus Foligno become available😛

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is that the same highly replaceable, nothing special at all Will Borgen?

25 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I don’t see him as top four. He stays back and is very physical but has lost a step. He’s also 33, risky for anything beyond 2 years.

He's always been a lower level defender with a mean streak in my eyes but when he rode Marchand with his balls on his neck I started considering whether he'd be an option

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

I’d be super excited if KA got us that big #4 RHD, a vet goalie and a face-off winning scrappy center that can put the puck in the net.

A center built for playoff hockey. Can you imagine? How much better our defense will be compared the defense that played at the beginning of last season or even the end of it?  Being strong in goal? I mean, really strong.  I am certain our #2 line is going to make a substantial jump next season with Quinn - Cozens - JJP all a year older and bigger. Then give Casey a real good center to partner with. Maybe put Jost, Krebs or Rousek at #3 RW…. Who knows, maybe Kulich? With two vets, Kulich might be able to pull it off…  Finish it ll off with a Miles Wood addition.

I mean, why not?

They retained Kyle.  You’re adding a scrappy center, keeping Jost and Krebs, adding Kulich, adding Rousek.  What about Savoie ?   With 3 or 4 adds who goes!   Vinny, VO and who else?  

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

Even though we got a great return for Ristolainen, I wanted to expose him instead of Borgen.

Nah.  Risto brought more, Bergen was unproven. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.