Adams And Granato Media Availability Wednesday: What Do You Want To hear?

Flashsabre

Adams has stated many times that when he moved into the GM role he committed to staying true to who he is and that he would not try to be someone that he isn’t. He’s been GM long enough now for me to realize that anyone who is eager for a Pierre Dorian-like “the rebuild is over” statement is going to be very disappointed. That is ok by me. Other teams in our division, Ottawa and Detroit, have tried to speed things along with high profile UFA signings and trades. Yet we have moved ahead and stayed ahead. Adams and Co. have made some mistakes, but they clearly have things going in the right direction.

I expect the focus and message on Wednesday will be on staying the course, on trusting the process, and on not sacrificing the future for the present. I get that some think this is going too slowly and I understand why. All indications, though, are that we are getting there. 

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Adams has stated many times that when he moved into the GM role he committed to staying true to who he is and that he would not try to be someone that he isn’t. He’s been GM long enough now for me to realize that anyone who is eager for a Pierre Dorian-like “the rebuild is over” statement is going to be very disappointed. That is ok by me. Other teams in our division, Ottawa and Detroit, have tried to speed things along with high profile UFA signings and trades. Yet we have moved ahead and stayed ahead. Adams and Co. have made some mistakes, but they clearly have things going in the right direction.

I expect the focus and message on Wednesday will be on staying the course, on trusting the process, and on not sacrificing the future for the present. I get that some think this is going too slowly and I understand why. All indications, though, are that we are getting there. 

I appreciate your understanding. Truly. Wish others would lose the condescension...

"Really?"

Yes, really, it's OK to be depressed about missing again and skeptical of KA's focus on the future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You know that’s demonstrably not true.  There were a ton of goalies traded this summer and nearly all went cheaply.  Aidn Hill was traded for a 4th. Georgiev for 2 3rds and a 5th, Husso for a 3rd etc.  Toronto paid Ott to take Mzarek and he outplayed Comrie and UPL.  

A 3rd pick has about an 18% of playing 100 games in the NHL and will probably take 3-5 years to arrive.  A 4th even less.  The prices paid for those goalies was extremely cheap and KA should have made a similar deal.

To be fair, he did, he just picked the wrong goalie.

It is pretty crazy to look at what happened with the goalies who moved last year.

I mean who knew Georgiev and Gustafson would play great 

Vanecek, Samsonov and Kuemper be OK?

And Campbell, Comrie, Talbot, Husso and Murray fail?

I can almost guarantee the same goalies won’t be in the same category next year.

Seems like there’s only a dozen or so goalies you can count on. Let’s just hope Levi joins them.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He picked the one with the least experience, from the wrong system that cost him nothing to acquire but some cash. Not surprisingly he got exactly what he paid for.  Nothing.

Honestly his management of the goaltenders has been horrific since day 1 other than getting Levi in trade.  It’s the biggest black mark on his record to date and his cheapskate approach cost us the playoffs this season.  

Oh, by the way all the goalies you mentioned in the fail list outperformed Comrie, except Campbell 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It is pretty crazy to look at what happened with the goalies who moved last year.

I mean who knew Georgiev and Gustafson would play great 

Vanecek, Samsonov and Kuemper be OK?

And Campbell, Comrie, Talbot, Husso and Murray fail?

I can almost guarantee the same goalies won’t be in the same category next year.

Seems like there’s only a dozen or so goalies you can count on. Let’s just hope Levi joins them.

Yep. Gustafson was the biggest wildcard. I saw him get outplayed by Dell in an AHL playoff game last season and this year he ranked near the top in a lot of NHL goalie categories for the wild.

There are only a couple goalies that can change a team’s fortune. Most goalies are subject to the defensive system the team plays. 

Until the Sabres tighten defensively it doesn’t matter which goalie is brought in.

Seattle had the 3rd worst sv% in the league and they are up 1-0 on the defending champs. Sometimes things just aren’t black and white.

Levi is going to be the guy. I agree they need a more vet starter to pair with him. UPL might develop but having 2 developing goalies at the same time is not a recipe for the playoffs. Comrie was left out to dry this year. I don’t dislike him but I’d like more of a proven commodity. Whoever that is, they will only be successful here when the Sabres get serious about playing in their own end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I’m sorry but I still don’t get why anything overly useful is going to come out of these, especially with a sharp, business savvy guy like Adams. These guys live by the credo “promise less, deliver more,” with just a tad of public relations thrown in.

By all accounts, business is brisk at the ticket office so there may be even less pr 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ... said:

Oh wait, I have another one. Does Adams realize that any picture or shot of him that doesn't go below the chest makes him look like he weighs double what he really does?

I’d really love to know if his siblings are in on it too 

Do you expect Granato to pull out a list and say “These are the guys I want back, these are the guys I want gone and these are the specific players I want Adams to target” Granato’s job is to coach the players currently on the roster. He won’t give any hints on the offseason.

Adams should be more interesting. He might not say a lot but the way he answers some of the questions might be telling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully some big moves coming 

I'm of the opposite view. I like the team as it is for the most part, and think they will continue to get better.  That doesn't mean SOME moves don't need to be made.  I want 2 D-men added to this roster. One who is a legit, very good 2nd pair guy, and one that is good enough to be a 2nd pair guy but can be slotted in for a 3rd pair role on this team.  If that is what you mean by big moves then yes, Big moves are needed. But I don't need much more than that and to me those are more 'moderate' moves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kevyn Adams did speak to the league about the Fasching kicking goal which basically cost us the playoffs. He said he had conversations and that the league disagreed with him and he disagrees with how they saw it. Called it a gray area. 

When there was that other kicking goal allowed at the end of the season (can't recall who did it (for some reason, I want to say Giroux?)), I had to at least credit the league for being consistent. A puck directed into the goal by a kicking motion is allowable if the kick is not deemed to have been an intentional effort to direct the puck on net (i.e., if the kick is seen as an effort to control the puck to the stick). Of course, that's not how the rules are written. But that's how they're being applied, it seems.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Didn't sound good about ryan johnson 

No. My own opinion is bye,bye and maybe team wise not a bad thing. Unless there's something else other than just not wanting to be here. That's one KA mantra I agree with "we want players who want to be here".

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.