The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

55 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Watching Florida vs. Boston, it makes me wonder how we managed to waste Brandon Montour's talent while he was with Buffalo?!?!

I am less likely to lean into the "Krueger destroyed everything" idea that most fans have, but Brandon Montour's before/after even within that season was remarkable. He scored a hattie before Ralph's plane left 

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

95 percent of this board wanted him gone.  Maybe it's Krueger, maybe it's Maybelline.  And maybe it's us.

I was one who wanted him gone as he quit on his teammates and fans along with Hall and Staal. Just went into full self-preservation mode and just went thru the motions. I don’t care how bad the team or how dire the circumstances, but that is cheating the game on the worst level. And as good as he is, I wouldn’t take him back on this team regardless how desperate we are for a quality 2nd pair RHD. And as Krueger’s total cluelessness on how to run a team may have been, the players still owe us their full effort. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Minnesota started the series well, but oh no.  

Omigosh!  Ten minutes later and it's two Minny goals in 12 seconds!

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I was one who wanted him gone as he quit on his teammates and fans along with Hall and Staal. Just went into full self-preservation mode and just went thru the motions. I don’t care how bad the team or how dire the circumstances, but that is cheating the game on the worst level. And as good as he is, I wouldn’t take him back on this team regardless how desperate we are for a quality 2nd pair RHD. And while Krueger’s total cluelessness on how to run a team may have been, the players still owe us their full effort. 

I didn't see that in him (first sentence), but if you did, it would be very tough to argue against the rest of your post.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Omigosh!  Ten minutes later and it's two Minny goals in 12 seconds!

I didn't see that in him (first sentence), but if you did, it would be very tough to argue against the rest of your post.

Perhaps not as egregious as Hall or Staal, but as soon as he knew he was trade bait, he put it on cruise control. At least that’s how I saw it. I admit my outrage at the situation at the time may be influencing my recollection a bit. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I was one who wanted him gone as he quit on his teammates and fans along with Hall and Staal. Just went into full self-preservation mode and just went thru the motions. I don’t care how bad the team or how dire the circumstances, but that is cheating the game on the worst level. And as good as he is, I wouldn’t take him back on this team regardless how desperate we are for a quality 2nd pair RHD. And as Krueger’s total cluelessness on how to run a team may have been, the players still owe us their full effort. 

Hall and Staal stole money from the Sabres. Talk about having no respect for your team or fans. (And then Hall has the gall to squash a deal that would have gotten the Sabres a 1st round pick!) They mailed it in and were as much as the problem with the Sabres as Jack or Sam. I think when Okposo talks about the locker room being better, he's talking about those two clowns as much as the usual suspects.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Hall and Staal stole money from the Sabres. Talk about having no respect for your team or fans. (And then Hall has the gall to squash a deal that would have gotten the Sabres a 1st round pick!) They mailed it in and were as much as the problem with the Sabres as Jack or Sam. I think when Okposo talks about the locker room being better, he's talking about those two clowns as much as the usual suspects.

Wasn't Staal traded for?

Man the Kings are doing it again, tie game!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

If you're Minnesota's coach, you have to send a message by swapping goalies at intermission, right?  Tell the rest of the team that they don't deserve him back there?  

Did I miss something? Did Gustavsson get hurt? Why in the world would Minnesota start Fleury when Gus has been the much better goalie all season and won them game 1?

33 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Did I miss something? Did Gustavsson get hurt? Why in the world would Minnesota start Fleury when Gus has been the much better goalie all season and won them game 1?

Likely felt winning 2 in a row in Dallas was next to impossible so they want him rested for 2 homes games. 

Ullmark and Fluery both iffy tonight. Bruins have a good culture, but that didn't translate onto the ice tonight. Quite a few players not up to the level they need to be. Three evened up series. Playoffs be playoffs, gotta love that. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Likely felt winning 2 in a row in Dallas was next to impossible so they want him rested for 2 homes games. 

Ullmark and Fluery both iffy tonight. Bruins have a good culture, but that didn't translate onto the ice tonight. Quite a few players not up to the level they need to be. Three evened up series. Playoffs be playoffs, gotta love that. 

Ullmark got lit up?

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

12 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Watching Florida vs. Boston, it makes me wonder how we managed to waste Brandon Montour's talent while he was with Buffalo?!?!

Could it be he didn't do much to display his talent.  He played for a sinking Phil Housley, and then for an incompetent Ralph Krueger. 

He sure did not play with passion for Buffalo, but he was ok.   He is 29 now and in his prime for a defenseman.  

Montour is another in a long line of players that benefited from getting out of Buffalo.   That is finally changing.  

I’m expecting Lake Ontario to rise overnight as hundreds of thousands of members of Leaf Nation jump in after another embarrassing loss at home.

Following a series sweep, MLSE makes a trade with Atlanta to take the entire team in exchange for their expansion draft rights.

Almost as good as the Sabres winning a Cup for me.

41 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That is something.

It would also probably put the Sabres in a 6 minute 5v3 penalty kill

Worth it though

You just have to make it to the playoffs before you can engage in this defensive technique.

Ref Postseason Checklist: Was it a delay of game? No. Too many men? No. Tripping? No. High-sticking? Well... there was the stick wrapped around the head but we'll let it slide because they're both battling.... Looks good!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don’t hate the Jets. I don’t really hate anything. I also rarely post about the Jets 

Thorny said..."I’ll continue rooting on their downfall as my most hated team".

Which is it?

Eichel was underwhelming to say the least.

Edited by Ducky

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Thorny said..."I’ll continue rooting on their downfall as my most hated team".

Which is it?

Eichel was underwhelming to say the least.

Was just being facetious, using the “most hated team” phrasing I’ve seen used around these parts. That’s why my follow up said “I don’t really.” My standing on this board re: the Jets is pretty well documented over 8 years now. No I don’t hate them. Yes I root against them 

tbh I functionally root against all the Canadian teams. Too much over saturation of my media market, for me. The Jets obviously take the cake on this front so hold a special place in my psyche. Sometimes even rent free. Once the Sabres defeated them on track suit night, the feeling honestly died away, though. Now it’s more in fun

Edited by Thorny

I live north of Toronto and hate the Leafs, Habs, Oilers Canucks but actually do not mind the Jets...I really want them to put Vegas out.

On anothe rnote, see Bunting got 3 games...he is my cousin's stepson and actually liked his game for Team Canada a few summer's back and was actually hoping maybe the Sabres would sign him, but he grew up in TO and wanted to sign there. Now he has kinda put himself in a bad position with reminders of Kadri's stupid hits and suspensions that cost the Leafs dearly. Of course the Leafs turned around and traded Kardi for a bag of hockey pucks. Bunting is a free agent this summer and may have a tough time resigning with the Leafs now...   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.