The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

Just now, Claude Balls said:

Vegas with a season low 17 SOG in Jackie's 1st ever playoff game. Atta boy Jack, looks like your stank is contagious.

Radio silence all year while jack, as their best player, guided them to 1st overall in the west and you folks crawl outa the woodwork after 1 playoff game lol 

rent free. and, it’s winnipeg. They’ll blow this 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Radio silence all year while jack, as their best player, guided them to 1st overall in the west and you folks crawl outa the woodwork after 1 playoff game lol 

I disagree about the radio silence. All season long people have been busting on him. On Multiple hockey forums and multiple social media places.
and he didn’t guide anything… It was a team effort. At least that’s the way I see it. agree to disagree.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

I disagree about the radio silence. All season long people have been busting on him. On Multiple hockey forums and multiple social media places.
and he didn’t guide anything… It was a team effort. At least that’s the way I see it. agree to disagree.

I think you are probably projecting because 9/10 of your posts involve some long diatribe evaluating other posters/fans 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And, yes, I understand the playbook. All the good stuff was “team effort”, all the bad stuff is “a cancer inflicting the whole team”. So, the good is only correlation and the bad is only causation. It’s a position that’s impossible to logically square, ie, it’s simply rampant bias, but, I do get it. At the very least it’s convenient 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Winnipeg has a lot of grit and good goaltending. Do not underestimate their ability to pull an upset. 

Also, there are players who elevate come playoff time (Winnipeg has some of those) and Jack does not seem to be built in that way. He is VERY similar to Austin Matthews in that regard. 

But really, we all know why Vegas isn't a top team any more. They traded away Alex Tuch. 

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

How much do you think he signs for?

I suspect Dahlin will want 10 million plus with maximum term. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Winnipeg has a lot of grit and good goaltending. Do not underestimate their ability to pull an upset. 

Also, there are players who elevate come playoff time (Winnipeg has some of those) and Jack does not seem to be built in that way. He is VERY similar to Austin Matthews in that regard. 

But really, we all know why Vegas isn't a top team any more. They traded away Alex Tuch. 

I suspect Dahlin will want 10 million plus with maximum term. 

Dude winnipeg has been ass in the playoffs all but one season. I see them a lot. 

I’ll continue rooting on their downfall as my most hated team 

the Jack doesn’t elevate in playoffs after 1 game is just more painfully evident bias 

he also wasn’t good enough to be the best player on a playoff team and Buffalo was going to make it first. It’s just endless goal post moving. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Every top team has players that have to be paid. Having enough talent to be able to have to choose is a big positive. Sabres have young talent coming up too that will be high end low cost elc players. That is how the top teams do it.

Well yes and no. In a cap league you can only pay so many before you run out of cash. You do not want to be Toronto where you cannot put a bottom roster together without a little LTIR voodoo on deadline deals. You also likely don't get the luxury of a team like Tampa (who gets cheaper signings because of the state tax laws) or like Boston (who just seem to get hometown discounts because players love it there). You'll have to overpay initially to get free agents because of the (recent) history and it'll take time and winning seasons before players (outside of those drafted) want to be here.

Our main prospects are offensive types and if they pan out those type of players generally want more money than 2 way role players. It'll be hard to sign everyone in time. A new problem for this team for sure, but it'll happen if they keep drafting well. You can only ride rookie contracts for so long. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dude winnipeg has been ass in the playoffs all but one season. I see them a lot. 

I’ll continue rooting on their downfall as my most hated team 

the Jack doesn’t elevate in playoffs after 1 game is just more painfully evident bias 

Well, Winnipeg isn't quite the same as they were and have a different coach. I have not watched them all year aside from when they played Buffalo and Boston (and maybe I saw them play Seattle, don't remember) but in this game they looked more like a playoff ready team than Vegas. Can they sustain it? I have no idea, but Vegas will clearly have to be better than this. 

My most hated team is (and always has been) Toronto. 

There's no bias on Jack.  It comes from years of watching him. I said numerous times over the years when he was here that he didn't elevate for big games, floated at times, let others do the heavy lifting, etc.   It's not a new thing. (I said the same things about his buddy Reinhart too and that is also proving true). jack is, and always has been a lazy prima donna and so far in his career that has not changed one bit. 

I'm a happy man after game 1. All 8 teams that I wanted to win or expected to win won. Even the ultimate longshot Kraken. Everything could of course still change. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Sarcasm. They were great all year, but Jack is still not what he thinks he is. And I'm not sure how far Vegas will get with Brossoit in goal. 

54 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So glad the Leafs lost tonight. It was delicious.

They got steamrolled. It was so joyful everytime they showed the crowd. 

Edited by Claude Balls

7 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Sarcasm. They were great all year, but Jack is still not what he thinks he is. And I'm not sure how far Vegas will get with Brossoit in goal. 

They got steamrolled. It was so joyful everytime they showed the crowd. 

What does he think he is? He was on McAfee a couple days ago and it was the most mature and down to earth I've ever heard him. I came away from it genuinely rooting for him. 

Sometimes I believe that Sabres fans deserved every bit of the last 12 years they got. I will never forget going out to eat in Erie county on a random Tuesday in December of 2018, a non game night, and the next table over spending 10 minutes calling Ryan O'Reilly a drunk cancer piece of *****, just look at the Blues, last in the league lol

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

And, yes, I understand the playbook. All the good stuff was “team effort”, all the bad stuff is “a cancer inflicting the whole team”. So, the good is only correlation and the bad is only causation. It’s a position that’s impossible to logically square, ie, it’s simply rampant bias, but, I do get it. At the very least it’s convenient 

Our beloved leader laughed at his minus on a goal, didn't bother mentioning his team leading "pluses" all year and would probably call you a caveman for using the metric if you wanted to mention it

Like you say, when vegas missed last year it was all on Jack but when they get the one seed, at absolute best you hear crickets. Then they lose one game and it's a pile on. Brainlet stuff

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Our beloved leader laughed at his minus on a goal, didn't bother mentioning his team leading "pluses" all year and would probably call you a caveman for using the metric if you wanted to mention it

Like you say, when vegas missed last year it was all on Jack but when they get the one seed, at absolute best you hear crickets. Then they lose one game and it's a pile on. Brainlet stuff

Yeh i could give a flyin fig about Yack... he is out West... Sabres are progressing... its not all on him and yeh like Mitts in a different way he needed to grow up... dont wish him ill except playin Sabres... big non issue now... Really hopin the Leaves fall this spring all the way to ground...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Quint said:

Here we go...Leafs get those golf clubs ready!

This takes some of the pain of being a Sabres fan away for awhile.

My favourite part is when he rips Tavares’ quote that they need to learn from that game. Dangle says learn, you should have a frikkin’ PHD by now.

• Like (+1) 2

What don’t some around here understand about the time honored tradition of “the villain” in sports? Eichel crapped all over the team that selected him and made him generationally wealthy as well as the fans that supported him. He’s the perfect villain in Buffalo and the vast majority of fans in the area feel the same way. Of course those that feel that way aren’t gonna give him any credit for his team’s success; it’s the nature of his villainy. How anyone can be surprised or offended by that is beyond me. 

He’s also a great player. 

And screw him, anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

What does he think he is? He was on McAfee a couple days ago and it was the most mature and down to earth I've ever heard him. I came away from it genuinely rooting for him. 

Sometimes I believe that Sabres fans deserved every bit of the last 12 years they got. I will never forget going out to eat in Erie county on a random Tuesday in December of 2018, a non game night, and the next table over spending 10 minutes calling Ryan O'Reilly a drunk cancer piece of *****, just look at the Blues, last in the league lol

I remember that godawful cartoonist in the Buffalo News doing one of ROR talking about losing his love for the game while putting his hand in a fans pocket and stealing his money. If ROR had walked into their office, found the guy and pounded his face into hamburger I would've had no problem with it. 

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I remember that godawful cartoonist in the Buffalo News doing one of ROR talking about losing his love for the game while putting his hand in a fans pocket and stealing his money. If ROR had walked into their office, found the guy and pounded his face into hamburger I would've had no problem with it. 

If ROR is such a sad, pathetic, weak minded loser, that a cartoon in the local paper triggers him, then I hope the reporter gets up and beats him with a stick. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.