The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Some of us are just having fun. It’s OK not to have to stand up and defend your thesis to the room. It’s just a game. 🤷🏻  

I mean, you hate Winnipeg. Personally, I couldn’t come up with a single disparaging mark against that franchise simply because I never give them a second thought. It’s just sports.

I have a lot of fun explaining to these guys how throughly they’ve twisted themselves into a pretzel through poor logic 

Make no mistake, this is now an Eichel thread 

“Already one of the more gifted offensive players in the league, Eichel was never seen as a defensive option. Being the top-line center on a Cassidy-coached team comes with that responsibility at both ends of the ice.

Eichel had the best defensive season of his career this year, recording a plus-26 rating at 5-on-5 and a career-high 46 takeaways.

“I’m not surprised. He’s been arguably our best defensive forward in terms of closing in our end, being on time, killing plays,” Cassidy said. “I just think he’s bought in with what we’re trying to get him to do.”“

great article on how well Jack has rounded out his full hockey game. Apologies because POITZ aren’t mentioned 

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2023/apr/18/entering-first-playoff-run-jack-eichel-leads-golde/

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I have a lot of fun explaining to these guys how throughly they’ve twisted themselves into a pretzel through poor logic 

But you assume that someone is trying to make a logical case. No one here is on the NHL network trying to be unbiased or writing for the AP. You don’t need to be logical to hate Winnipeg. I don’t have to be logical to hope that Jack never scores another goal again and all he experiences is derision from the fans every day for the rest of his life. I hope his first taste of the playoffs ends in a Winnipeg sweep. I’ll probably say something here and I’ll laugh. And it doesn’t really matter if it’s irrational because I’m just a dude watching a hockey game.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

But you assume that someone is trying to make a logical case. No one here is on the NHL network trying to be unbiased or writing for the AP. You don’t need to be logical to hate Winnipeg. I don’t have to be logical to hope that Jack never scores another goal again and all he experiences is derision from the fans every day for the rest of his life. I hope his first taste of the playoffs ends in a Winnipeg sweep. I’ll probably say something here and I’ll laugh. And it doesn’t really matter if it’s irrational because I’m just a dude watching a hockey game.

Read the post I quoted and tell me it’s not trying (and admittedly WOEFULLY failing) to make a logical case to take away from his accomplishment

I don’t hate the Jets. I don’t really hate anything. I also rarely post about the Jets 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Read the post I quoted and tell me it’s not trying to make a logical case to take away from his a accomplishment

Fair enough. Personally, I’m having fun and there’s no amount of counter statistical analysis that matters much to me. This isn’t a serious opinion that matters and I reserve the right to laugh if he falls on his ass on the ice even if he gets a hat trick. it’s really no big deal.

So can I get that name change completed for you?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Fair enough. Personally, I’m having fun and there’s no amount of counter statistical analysis that matters much to me. This isn’t a serious opinion that matters and I reserve the right to laugh if he falls on his ass on the ice even if he gets a hat trick. it’s really no big deal.

So can I get that name change completed for you?

I think you’d be better off following through with the other, more permanent request I made regarding my account 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, I had stopped doing this all year. I really thought it was over. That’s ok

im thinking I’m back 

You might wanna brace yourself, because our favorite villain is in store for more ball busting with every gaffe he makes. And while I fully expect him to excel, be a huge factor, and make plays in the playoffs (he’s just too good not to), I will NOT praise him in the least. He won’t garner an ounce of my appreciation for his play as he has forfeited that privilege. Just like every sports villain. I’ll give him credit for that though, as there have only been a handful of true villains in my many decades of sports fandom and it’s not an easy list to make in the least. So kudos to Jack for that.

Just now, K-9 said:

You might wanna brace yourself, because our favorite villain is in store for more ball busting with every gaffe he makes. And while I fully expect him to excel, be a huge factor, and make plays in the playoffs (he’s just too good not to), I will NOT praise him in the least. He won’t garner an ounce of my appreciation for his play as he has forfeited that privilege. Just like every sports villain. I’ll give him credit for that though, as there have only been a handful of true villains in my many decades of sports fandom and it’s not an easy list to make in the least. So kudos to Jack for that.

Exactly. Since when are we obligated to give kudos to people we don’t like?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You keep confusing the issue by suggesting we are somehow clueless about Eichel’s playing ability. I’ll try to simplify for you: 

Great player.

Better villain. 

Now, if it’s ok, I’d like to get back to LMAO for his pass out of the offensive zone to nobody while Vegas was on the PP in the waning minutes last night. 

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Are you me?

I sent SDS a message begging him to permanently ban me like a year ago. Dude never even read it 

Why do you have to rely on someone to ban you when you can just do that yourself if you feel that strongly about not wanting to be here?

• dislike 1

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

“Already one of the more gifted offensive players in the league, Eichel was never seen as a defensive option. Being the top-line center on a Cassidy-coached team comes with that responsibility at both ends of the ice.

Eichel had the best defensive season of his career this year, recording a plus-26 rating at 5-on-5 and a career-high 46 takeaways.

“I’m not surprised. He’s been arguably our best defensive forward in terms of closing in our end, being on time, killing plays,” Cassidy said. “I just think he’s bought in with what we’re trying to get him to do.”“

great article on how well Jack has rounded out his full hockey game. Apologies because POITZ aren’t mentioned 

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2023/apr/18/entering-first-playoff-run-jack-eichel-leads-golde/

Good for him. I still don't like him. Lots of evidence the locker room was trash and he was partially responsible. 

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Read the post I quoted and tell me it’s not trying (and admittedly WOEFULLY failing) to make a logical case to take away from his accomplishment

I don’t hate the Jets. I don’t really hate anything. I also rarely post about the Jets 

What accomplishments? Making the playoffs in the weakest division in hockey? Being the equivalent of what? 5th on the Sabres is scoring? Good for him, he's in playoffs. Also, I will laugh every time he sucks in the playoffs. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why do you have to rely on someone to ban you when you can just do that yourself if you feel that strongly about not wanting to be here?

I just always come back and was not contributing positively to the board. But I managed to stay away for a year and have been behaving well since then 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The problem is that you are built for writing 24000 word substack articles fleshing out intellectual/philosophical minutae in attack/response format with others who are maintaining the same focus on detail as you 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good for him. I still don't like him. Lots of evidence the locker room was trash and he was partially responsible. 

What accomplishments? Making the playoffs in the weakest division in hockey? Being the equivalent of what? 5th on the Sabres is scoring? Good for him, he's in playoffs. Also, I will laugh every time he sucks in the playoffs. 

The accomplishments are relative to the folks saying that he was such a cancer they’d never be able to amount to anything with him there. That he was an organization-crippling cancer. These are things that were actually being argued and said in presumable good faith. I’m not sure how you can share this board with me for so long and launch yourself into this conversation in opposition to me when from the very beginning I’ve always been clear that it was those extreme, logic defying takes that rankled. When is the last time I quoted you on this issue? If you can’t see the difference in the takes I have issue with, I’m not sure how to explain it further 

like if you want to pretend all these Jack takes on your side are created equal, I can’t do that. You are forgetting how extremely off base things became, how absurd the projections of his future career became. I can’t do that 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The accomplishments are relative to the folks saying that he was such a cancer they’d never be able to amount to anything with him there. That he was an organization-crippling cancer. These are things that were actually be argued and said in presumable good faith. I’m not sure how you can share this board with me for so long and launch yourself into this conversation in opposition to me when from the very beginning I’ve always been clear that it was those extreme, logic defying takes that rankled. When is the last time I quoted you on this issue? If you can’t see the difference in the takes I have issue with, I’m not sure how to explain it further 

FWIW, I only said he earned a -1 on a play. 🤷🏻

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The accomplishments are relative to the folks saying that he was such a cancer they’d never be able to amount to anything with him there. That he was an organization-crippling cancer. These are things that were actually being argued and said in presumable good faith. I’m not sure how you can share this board with me for so long and launch yourself into this conversation in opposition to me when from the very beginning I’ve always been clear that it was those extreme, logic defying takes that rankled. When is the last time I quoted you on this issue? If you can’t see the difference in the takes I have issue with, I’m not sure how to explain it further 

They haven't amounted to anything. Eichel is a locker room problem, our gm and several players have almost said it. If he works in Vegas, fine but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

They haven't amounted to anything. Eichel is a locker room problem, our gm and several players have almost said it. If he works in Vegas, fine but I'll believe it when I see it. 

But the latter really has no bearing on the former. People change and just because they change doesn’t mean they didn’t behave poorly in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The problem is that you are built for writing 24000 word substack articles fleshing out intellectual/philosophical minutae in attack/response format with others who are maintaining the same focus on detail as you 

We may indeed be two sides of Saruman but assuredly *you* are Saruman-as-he-should-have-been 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To be fair, it wasn't just Eichel. It was the dynamic of several that became one uber personality not only in the room, but the entire building as well. Perhaps if Eichel’s first room was dominated by different types, it might have been a different dynamic and different development altogether. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They only “haven’t amounted to anything” from your perspective because you never imposed a ridiculous ceiling on him to begin with. This is what I’m trying (and, yet again, failing) to explain cohesively: I don’t have an issue with your framing. But for many, “anything” included *even the ability* to be the best player on a good team, a good playoff team. It was said he wasn’t good enough to be the focal point of a playoff team, that the Sabres would in fact make the playoffs before Vegas. These are also not the most extreme things said. 

Under the prism of these statements, yes, he assuredly has achieved something 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.