The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Watching Bryson may be the only thing that makes me want to turn the game off.

I know what you mean, they need 4-5 Stillman, Bryson, Clague, Pilut caliber Dmen.

Me too and yes.

18 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

Our top D prospect is probably not in the org yet. To be drafted or traded for in offseason.

We have World class Dahlin , Elite in Power(maybe on way to World Class), A very good dman in Mule and an above average d in Joker. We struggle when one of them is hurt. Especially the top three.

We need a dman that can potentially push joker out of top 4. That is not, nor ever will be Johnson. He also will not be NHL ready for next year.

I hope I am wrong if we sign him and he is ready for big role, but there is no indication from his play that he is at best a 5th or 6th dman AFTER significant development time.

Overating your own prospects is a real thing. We see them drafted and watch them develop. We overate them in our own eyes. I do it in Baseball all the time.  I am still waiting for Joel Savage from Turgeon draft to debut.

a second round pick is more valuable than a maybe in a couple years third pair dman.

I like the Joel Savage reference.  1988.  35 years ago.  Where does time go? I make old references like that all of the time.  I wonder if in 1988 their were hockey fans cautioning against getting excited about a prospect because there was a 19 year old kid in 1953 who didn't pan out. 

Your opinion on Johnson is as valid as anyones.  If you have seen Johnson play more than twice then your opinion holds more value than mine.

Another opinion is Corey Pronman's, from the Athletic. In October 2022 he did a 2019 re-draft and had Johnson going at #35 and in the tier of  "middle of the line-up NHL players".

Another is Scott Wheeler's, also from the Athletic.  In Feb 2023 Wheeler ranked the Sabres as having the league's 6th best prospect pool and Johnson as our 6th best prospect.  He wrote a couple of paragraphs on Johnson's game.  His closing sentence was: "[Johnson is] not likely to be a big special-teams guy in the NHL, which could limit his upside, but I like him as a possession-driving No. 4-6 who is quietly effective at both ends at even strength. He has also played both sides in college, which gives him some flexibility."

I will be disappointed if we don't get him signed.  He seems like a high floor but low ceiling prospect. The combination of the lower ceiling and the compensatory draft pick do somewhat mitigate the potential loss. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

If you don't want to watch Johnsons you don't have to open the thread.

I misread this post initially and was maybe a teensy miffed.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

@Xzy89cI think he knows I'm kidding...

Then I saw this and read the post again. 

Ha.

I might have played hooky to (responsibly) enjoy some Dyngus Day festivities. Not great for reading comprehension.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

This would be an extremely odd move from KA. Giving up a young defenseman, who could be in NHL in 1-2 years for a 2nd rounder? A 2nd rounder wouldn’t likely touch the NHL for 2-3 years or even 3-4 years if a defenseman. Plus, push these time lines out another year because it would be a 2024 2nd rounder. The only thing good thing about a 2024 2nd round pick would be if we included it in a package for a vet defenseman as a sweetener. 

What do you base your assessment on?

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What do you base your assessment on?

Because he is 4 years removed from his draft year.

Not a rule by any means, but most players that make it, make the jump 3-5 years after being picked.

I sometimes wonder if the same people who thought Mitts was bust because he hadn't established himself 4 years after being drafted are also saying there is no way Johnson can be ready for the NHL 4 years after being drafted.

41 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I have watched that every single Dyngus Day since it happened and I laugh just as hard every time.

I've got my bottle of Sobieski waiting for me at home.

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think it belongs in this thread, mind you, but it is one of the best things I ever have seen.  Like Swamp, I watch (and share) it annually.  

I get reflexively underdog-Buffalo when I see Anderson Cooper — he of the Vanderbilt aristocracy — tittering about Dyngus Day. 

I react to it as if the worst sort of Nichols grad from East Aurora (perhaps a Knox?) had been given a national platform to laugh at a festival cherished by working class types.

Which is to say: That clip mostly makes me want to slap that elitist turd in the face — and not with a ***** willow either — but with something … larger and stiffer. (I said what I said.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Because he is 4 years removed from his draft year.

Not a rule by any means, but most players that make it, make the jump 3-5 years after being picked.

I sometimes wonder if the same people who thought Mitts was bust because he hadn't established himself 4 years after being drafted are also saying there is no way Johnson can be ready for the NHL 4 years after being drafted.

Mitts was injured for a couple of seasons. That set him back. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea what's going on, what Johnson is thinking, etc., but the fact that he has not signed yet indicates to me that he's not likely to sign.  It's a pretty straightforward transaction governed by a defined set of rules, so if no decision has been made by now, that would suggest that Johnson has doubts about signing.  Either that, or Johnson and his agents don't understand the defined set of rules, so the Sabres were educating them so that they can make an informed decision.  I'm on record as being in favor of the team signing him, but wouldn't lose sleep if he didn't and the Sabres received a compensatory draft pick.

Yeah, not sure what the hold up is with him not signing yet.  Sign your deal, play with Rochester for the playoffs, earn your spot next year with a few open defensive spots on the roster (my opinion).  I think it's a really good position for any young player to enter the fold.  IMO, his loss if he moves on>  No sleep lost here.  Go Sabres!

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

You may be right, but the team needs D depth NOW, not in 2028 when the 2d round pick in 2024 might materialize.  Not signing Johnson means the Sabres need to recruit yet one more free agent D who can move freely between the AHL and the NHL, and I'm not sure there are too many of those--and they may need a couple even IF they sign Johnson.

I don’t think it will be a franchise defining moment either way this goes. If he ends up as a solid 4-6 Dman for the Sabres that is a terrific addition. The bonus is the low salary and being waiver exempt, as you pointed out. 

I think he will be better than Bryson and Clague so I want this to get done.

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Guy is walking 

I'm inclined to agree. Seems to me he probably would have signed by now if that was his intention. This isn't a Portillo being gutless about competing with Levi situation. Maybe there's some personal angle that explains it, but can't help feeling he is on the dim side if he doesn't grasp the opportunity in front of him.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm inclined to agree. Seems to me he probably would have signed by now if that was his intention. This isn't a Portillo being gutless about competing with Levi situation. Maybe there's some personal angle that explains it, but can't help feeling he is on the dim side if he doesn't grasp the opportunity in front of him.

Its pretty obvious what is there to talk about you had last year and this one.

He went the NCAA route so he has the right to go UFA and sign anywhere and more power to him for that. But... there really isn't a better situation for a young defenseman next year than the Sabres/Amerks. At best, you're skating alongside Dahlin or Power who will make you look very good. At worst, you're honing your game on the top pair in Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He went the NCAA route so he has the right to go UFA and sign anywhere and more power to him for that. But... there really isn't a better situation for a young defenseman next year than the Sabres/Amerks. At best, you're skating alongside Dahlin or Power who will make you look very good. At worst, you're honing your game on the top pair in Rochester.

He's from Orange County, his dad is an assistant coach w/ the Ducks.... Buffalo might be a tough sell.