The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

21 hours ago, tom webster said:

plus no one else can burn a year so from a long term financial impact, it’s a no brainer.

The article I cited previously,

On 4/9/2023 at 4:14 PM, Doohickie said:

pointed out downsides to college players coming out of college and burning a year.  Basically it said that if a player still needs development, the team is less likely to invest in that development if they have less time to develop him, and cited a few examples of college players who never were able to make the transition to the NHL.  (If Johnson was 22 already this would be more of a concern because players who sign at 22 only get 2 years on their ELC, not three.  Burn the first year and they go RFA after a year; if the team still isn't sure what they've got they're less likely to give them that second contract.)

I can't say I know much about Johnson as I don't follow a lot of college, but I see little value in signing him to play anywhere but the AHL right now and probably next year. I'm all for giving him a chance to make the team next year, but as it stands for this year, I think we roll with what we have.

What I really want is a veteran defensive player to pair with Powers and move Joki down with Labushkin.

So I don't see Johnson factoring in just yet. It's always good to have more depth, especially from a more defensive defenseman that Johnson sounds to be. It'd be nice to get him signed soon, but I won't lose sleep over him walking away. Honestly I think it'd be his loss if he does.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I’m just sick of this guy dangling his signing like he’s some big shot.  You’re not Adam Fox.  Sign with us or get out.  
If he does eventually sign it doesn’t show a great deal of “wanting to be here”.  

He met with them yesterday, an offer (more likely offers) were made, he gets a night to sleep on it and will make a decision today. Not unusual for someone considering a new job.

Not sure how any defenceman watching last night would not have seen a world of opportunity hockey-wise. Maybe life-wise there are other considerations to weigh.

• Like (+1) 1

Ryan Johnson will make a decision when he is ready to make a decision. He has a right to consider all his options and consult with whoever he wants to consult with. This is a big decision for him and his career. Just like it would be for anyone who finishes college. Buffalo would be a good situation for him as far as opportunities to play sooner than with other franchises. He's a good prospect but far from being an elite can't miss prospect. In fact, if he belatedly signs with Buffalo, it will be a better situation for Buffalo because he won't be able to burn a year on his contract. Let's give this college player the time and space to make his own important life and career decision. This is a dramatically different situation with Levi. 

It is more likely Adams was probably trying to convince him to the benefits of an AHL playoff run. That was what the zoom meeting was. 

His options are sign an NHL deal, maybe get a game to end the year and burn a season of ELC. Adams probably hoping he signs an ATO, joins the Amerks for the playoffs and starts his ELC next season.

If he didn’t want to sign I think his agent/advisor just sends a message saying he is going to explore free agency.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He met with them yesterday, an offer (more likely offers) were made, he gets a night to sleep on it and will make a decision today. Not unusual for someone considering a new job.

Not sure how any defenceman watching last night would not have seen a world of opportunity hockey-wise. Maybe life-wise there are other considerations to weigh.

There also the chance they offered Him a chance to play in Rochester on an ATO where he would get games and practice or sign a three year deal with Buffalo and His Hockey Season would be essentially over as the Sabres are not playing him unless they are knocked out of the playoff race. 

And he is making a decision between the two options 

An ATO and 2 year ELC starting in 2023-24 is the best pathway for Him IMO

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

There also the chance they offered Him a chance to play in Rochester on an ATO where he would get games and practice or sign a three year deal with Buffalo and His Hockey Season would be essentially over as the Sabres are not playing him unless they are knocked out of the playoff race. 

And he is making a decision between the two options 

That's what I was thinking with "offers"

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It is more likely Adams was probably trying to convince him to the benefits of an AHL playoff run. That was what the zoom meeting was. 

His options are sign an NHL deal, maybe get a game to end the year and burn a season of ELC. Adams probably hoping he signs an ATO, joins the Amerks for the playoffs and starts his ELC next season.

If he didn’t want to sign I think his agent/advisor just sends a message saying he is going to explore free agency.

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Thanks to both of you for interjecting logic to the discussion.   I am old school I guess, Rochester and the AHL playoffs is were he belongs right now.  

13 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

one scenario not mentioned is sabres will not let him burn a year by bringing him up to sabres this year. A nice way of saying we really want the draft pick. 

They don’t need more draft picks. The pick would be added on to the end of the 2nd round of the 2024 draft so essentially a 3rd round pick. Why would they value that?

Just now, Flashsabre said:

They don’t need more draft picks. The pick would be added on to the end of the 2nd round of the 2024 draft so essentially a 3rd round pick. Why would they value that?

That question has been asked of that poster about half a dozen times by now and there doesn't seem to be an answer.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good news if true - where was this reported?

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Exactly right 

he is listed at 6’1. 190lbs on the gophers website 

I am more inclined to believe this. I know EP and other sites don't update unless they get requests or an official measurement. If the Gopher's say that is his height and weight it is probably pretty close because they undoubtedly gave him a physical to start the season. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

I’m just sick of this guy dangling his signing like he’s some big shot.  You’re not Adam Fox.  Sign with us or get out.  
If he does eventually sign it doesn’t show a great deal of “wanting to be here”.  

I think most of the dangling has come from fans and media.  We haven’t really heard much out of his camp.  This is what happens when no info is to be had.  Internet db’s just run with whatever narrative they have despite nothing being reported anywhere.