GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - April 8, 2023, 12:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

So a couple of game notes...

Stillman and Boosh pretty much benched for most of the third after being on the ice for the last two Carolina goals.

Jost only played 5:57 and was a -2...ouch

Quinn and JJP also -2 and only played a little over 10 minutes.

Yes, they are a 3 line team right now with a complete lack of depth. This is why Granato did not use an equal time on ice 4 line rotation. His best players got more ice time. Doesn't take a genius to realize that's the best plan if you're trying to win right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Is this what excitement tastes like? 

Was a nervewracking game. But Dahlin and Mitts were fantastic. Levi needs to learn how to play behind the goal properly, it's one area of his game where he looks waaay slower at making a decision. Greenway warming up. Some tough hits too. And ***** brind'amor.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

This belongs in the Louvre   I didn’t realize till just now that Dahlin was also the one to block the first shot 

The Dahlin stick block was the play of the game. Not only did it prevent a goal but it led to a goal for us on the other end. 

• Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Looking at the next 4 games and the goalie situation...if the Sabres are mathematically eliminated by Monday.

Comrie in NY 

Levi in NJ

Anderson home against Ott

Levi in Columbus

And if they stay in the race:

levi vs ny

levi vs nj

levi vs ott

levi vs clb

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Carolina don’t have a ton of offensive depth. With Svech out I don’t see them doing damage in these playoffs.

They are well coached and disciplined and don’t give up a lot of high quality chances.

Full marks to the Sabres for that win. Tage is playing through something but still contributing.

Mitts continues to blossom. What his final form will be I don’t know but he seems to be a key piece in that group. A third liner who can fill in as your 1C in a pinch has value. Some guys develop a little later ie Tage, RNH hitting 100 points in EDM at 30.  You have to say Granato is a tremendous developmental coach. These guys are all blossoming.

I thought Levi was good today.

One area this team needs to really improve is the forward group in the defensive end need to anticipate better and be way harder on pucks near the blue line.

This offseason is big. A couple of the right moves will set this team up for a long window of success.

This is the first time in a decade I haven’t really looked at the draft and the prospects.

Lets finish strong and as high as possible.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

There are those that praise themselves for being a good Sabresfan that think it's fun to mock those that criticize. I am old,  been a fan since day one.  I call it as I see it. No kool-aid drinker here.  If you do not like what I say,  iggy me or just put a hot poker in your eye.  It is my opinion,  I can take your opinion and your flavor of kool-aid, but I won't put lipstick on your pig to make it look better then it is. I am glad you root for the Sabres. But if all you have is that,  then as far as I am concerned,  you can jump off a very short pier. Ok, feel better now. BTW, love Levi, Stillman and Greenway. Great pickups for the price! Also love Casey on top line.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, they are a 3 line team right now with a complete lack of depth. This is why Granato did not use an equal time on ice 4 line rotation. His best players got more ice time. Doesn't take a genius to realize that's the best plan if you're trying to win right now. 

There is nothing unusual about coaches tightening up the bench at the end of a game, mostly for defensive purposes. Okposo, Girgs, Tuch etc. and our top two pairs were on the ice taking the time away from the less-proficient players on defense. I saw Lyubushkin on the bench in the third period. He didn't seem very happy. For the coach, it is doing what you have to do to win without worrying about feelings.  

Are these the kind of games people were talking about last spring when they said they needed to see them play well against good teams in games that mattered?

That was a playoff-style match against a very good hockey team and we kept coming.

Somebody up-thread talked about Donnie never adjusting, others have talked about him not coaching to win.

Rolling the top 4 D, benching the kids late, coming back with Levi, Mitts to line 1, Tage to Cozens wing, Power and Dahlin to attack, Joki  and Mule to defend, using his pressers to re-iterate his belief in his players....

In the past 2 weeks he's put on a clinic: wins over the Rangers, Devils and Canes on a 6/1/1 run, and the much-maligned D has allowed less than 3 goals against per game during that span.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Fantastic game. I'll prolly repeat a lot that's already been said, but obviously this was one of Dahlin's best games and biggest moments. We needed that Dahlin and we got it.

Good to see Tage getting the ol' shot going again and especially good to see Mitts net one - maybe of all the players he's earned a goal.

Funny, some teams neutralize our top line but can't do the same to our second line at the same time while other teams can neutralize the second line but can't the top. 

Anyway, good to see a solution for defense which wasn't totally reliant on Levi but, of course, Levi was a huge part of our defense today. Speaking of D, looks like our D was more mindful of their positioning near the crease as I didn't detect a scary moment like some of the ones that have bit Levi the prior few games.

Glad to see the arena alive and pumping - the area needs that as well as the team.

Carolina is a tough team so this win ain't a nothing win by a long shot. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Are these the kind of games people were talking about last spring when they said they needed to see them play well against good teams in games that mattered?

That was a playoff-style match against a very good hockey team and we kept coming.

Somebody up-thread talked about Donnie never adjusting, others have talked about him not coaching to win.

Rolling the top 4 D, benching the kids late, coming back with Levi, Mitts to line 1, Power and Dahlin to attack, Joki  and Mule to defend, using his pressers to re-iterate his belief in his players....

In the past 2 weeks he's put on a clinic: wins over the Rangers, Devils and Canes on a 6/1/1 run, and the much-maligned D has allowed less than 3 goals against per game during that span.

His decisions are typically subtle but he did put on his icy-heart coaching hat for this game. Without reviewing the other games none stand out for coaching quite like this one - except for the defensive break downs that seem hitherto unaddressed.

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Credit to Greenway for two crucial clears in the last minute of play.

Greenway has been a good pickup. He's exceeded my expectations. Well, I was expecting little but maybe I should reconsider my trust in the team's ability to judge talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.