GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - April 8, 2023, 12:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Couldn't watch the game live - just watched it on demand ... place was not even full and the crowd at the end STILL gave me chills!!

What are you talking about the place not being full?

There were maybe 200 empty seats in the whole building.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, ... said:

Greenway has been a good pickup. He's exceeded my expectations. Well, I was expecting little but maybe I should reconsider my trust in the team's ability to judge talent.

And he should be better next year when 100% healthy.  If you look at his stats before this year and this year's = 2 different players.  If okposo retires, he'll be a fine replacement

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

What are you talking about the place not being full?

There were maybe 200 empty seats in the whole building.

There's a lot of "alternative facts" going around today.  "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Thompson pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious..."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's where an eight game losing streak in November counts.

Yup. And then picking up only 6 of 24 points in the 12 games preceding the 6-1-1 streak.

In those 2 streaks that comprised 20 games they picked a total of only 6 out of 40 points. That isn't going to get it done very often.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Suckers.

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

We in Sabresland are all disappointed that the playoffs are unlikely. But posts like this are so pathetic.  Yes the playoffs are very unlikely, but who here is calling fans suckers for attending a meaningful game for the team in April other than you? Especially after beating the second best team in the NHL today where the opponent needed to win.   

The Sabres have posted a ten point improvement over last year with four games to go. Virtually no one expected the playoffs with this roster a year ago today.  

Troll if you must, but it’s poor form. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

We in Sabresland are all disappointed that the playoffs are unlikely. But posts like this are so pathetic.  Yes the playoffs are very unlikely, but who here is calling fans suckers for attending a meaningful game for the team in April other than you? Especially after beating the second best team in the NHL today where the opponent needed to win.   

The Sabres have posted a ten point improvement over last year with four games to go. Virtually no one expected the playoffs with this roster a year ago today.  

It's not meaningful. It's only meaningful if you suspend all reason. It's playing out the string. Great they beat Carolina. It doesn't matter. They needed to beat Columbus and Philly a couple weeks ago and they couldn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

We in Sabresland are all disappointed that the playoffs are unlikely. But posts like this are so pathetic.  Yes ithe playoffs are very unlikely, but who here is calling fans suckers for attending a meaningful game for the team in April other than you? Especially after beating the second best team in the NHL today where the opponent needed to win.   

If one doesn’t add to the enjoyment of the forum, the ignore feature works well. 👍🏼 I’m sure I’m on a few myself 😂

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If one doesn’t add to the enjoyment of the forum, the ignore feature works well. 👍🏼 I’m sure I’m on a few myself 😂

This is true. 

I guess I was trying to understand why someone is calling fellow fans suckers for supporting the Sabres today. It just seems misplaced. Yes there were times the fanbase was frustrated, but the big picture is bright and colorful. 

With that said, like your style. I hope people haven’t ignored your posts. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Agreed, if hearing truth makes you sad please ignore me. Today's game was 100 percent irrelevant. Games that actually mattered were back in mid March when they were giving up stupid numbers of goals and rolling over for BAD teams. That's what killed this season, not anything that happens this week. They are out of it and have been. If you believe otherwise tell Santa what you want for Christmas. I'm sure it will arrive.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Contempt said:

It's not meaningful. It's only meaningful if you suspend all reason. It's playing out the string. Great they beat Carolina. It doesn't matter. They needed to beat Columbus and Philly a couple weeks ago and they couldn't.

Sure. This team is not the 2023 Bruins. Was that what you expected when the puck dropped to the start of this year? To win every game they were “supposed” to? This team is clearly building to something bigger than a what we’ve previously seen, and I’m here for it. I’m sorry a 75 point team last year didn’t meet your expectations, but calling fans suckers for meaningful games in April is misguided.  

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Sure. This team is not the 2023 Bruins. Was that what you expected when the puck dropped to the start of this year? To win every game they were “supposed” to? This team is clearly building to something bigger than a what we’ve previously seen, and I’m here for it. I’m sorry a 75 point team last year didn’t meet your expectations, but calling fans suckers for meaningful games in April is misguided.  

Calling today a meaningful game is also misguided. This team has failed the pressure away at every opportunity.

Furthermore, I think it far from clear that they are on their way to obvious success.

Their defensive structure is hot garbage, there is no defensive help coming in the pipeline, goaltending is still a huge question l,and it's also a question of the administration thinks that the lack of team defense is even an issue. Run and gun isn't a recipe for success. It's just not.

Edited by Contempt
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

There is nothing unusual about coaches tightening up the bench at the end of a game, mostly for defensive purposes. Okposo, Girgs, Tuch etc. and our top two pairs were on the ice taking the time away from the less-proficient players on defense. I saw Lyubushkin on the bench in the third period. He didn't seem very happy. For the coach, it is doing what you have to do to win without worrying about feelings.  

Oh that's absolutely true, but it's also because we don't have a true checking or shut down line. 

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That’s as good a win as they’ve had this season.

Bonus points that it was a home win in the royal blues.

Also! A blessed return to @deluca67 .500

Not many comparable home wins, to be sure.  Probably the recent rangers game and the TB game in early March.

And here we are after 78 games and deluca .500 is still highly relevant!

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Are these the kind of games people were talking about last spring when they said they needed to see them play well against good teams in games that mattered?

That was a playoff-style match against a very good hockey team and we kept coming.

Speaking only for myself:  yes indeedly.  That’s what I needed to see to think this team with this core and this coach could really be something.

And now that’s what I think.

I’m wearing my Miller jersey to game 79.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.