GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - April 8, 2023, 12:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Not many comparable home wins, to be sure.  Probably the recent rangers game and the TB game in early March.

And here we are after 78 games and deluca .500 is still highly relevant!

Speaking only for myself:  yes indeedly.  That’s what I needed to see to think this team with this core and this coach could really be something.

And now that’s what I think.

I’m wearing my Miller jersey to game 79.

Where are you sitting... Im going to between a bunch of Rags fans/family and friends... may need some support.. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a true checking or shut down line anymore in the league. The closest the Sabres have to a checking line is the Okposo/Krebs/Girgs line. At the end of the game, they were relied on more than usual. An argument can be made that it is better to have a defensive oriented line that also has some ability to score. That would be the case with the Okposo line.

Well this is why the Leafs got ROR and Acciari at the deadline, because they did not have a checking line either, but now they do. These lines can have scoring potential, but they still exist. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well this is why the Leafs got ROR and Acciari at the deadline, because they did not have a checking line either, but now they do. These lines can have scoring potential, but they still exist. 

Okposo and Girgs are more checkers than scorers at this stage of their careers. There wasn't a need to replace them this season. At the end of the Carolina game, they did get extra minutes. So, what's the issue that is bothering you about this line. In addition, although their line is not one of the primary scoring lines, for lower lines do they contribute goals that gives you some scoring balance among the lines. The Sabres and Maple Leafs are two different teams, with two different roster needs and are in very different situations. I don't know what issue you are so concerned about?

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Where are you sitting... Im going to between a bunch of Rags fans/family and friends... may need some support.. 

Section 101 — in the corner on the end where the Sabres shoot twice.  How bout you?

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Okposo and Girgs are more checkers than scorers at this stage of their careers. There wasn't a need to replace them this season. At the end of the Carolina game, they did get extra minutes. So, what's the issue that is bothering you about this line. In addition, although their line is not one of the primary scoring lines, for lower lines do they contribute goals that gives you some scoring balance among the lines. The Sabres and Maple Leafs are two different teams, with two different roster needs and are in very different situations. I don't know what issue you are so concerned about?

You are going off on a tangent. My point was simply that we have 3 lines of NHL caliber hockey . We need 4+ next year. We have no depth and if we run into a batch of injuries at any time (as we did this year on D) we will falter and miss the playoffs again next year. 

We have forward prospects coming but I doubt many of them are ready and another development year will be a big mistake imo and as a fan will feel like another betrayal. We need to add several players to truly compete next year. No need to go into that now, we will be at this in the free agency period at length I am sure. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You are going off on a tangent. My point was simply that we have 3 lines of NHL caliber hockey . We need 4+ next year. We have no depth and if we run into a batch of injuries at any time (as we did this year on D) we will falter and miss the playoffs again next year. 

We have forward prospects coming but I doubt many of them are ready and another development year will be a big mistake imo and as a fan will feel like another betrayal. We need to add several players to truly compete next year. No need to go into that now, we will be at this in the free agency period at length I am sure. 

No one is disputing the fact that this team doesn't have enough depth, especially on the blueline. That's obvious. We currently have a decent 4th line, composed of Okposo, Krebs and Girgs. It's very likely that the fourth line will be reconstituted with additions from the system and market. For the most part, our top two lines are in place, and the pieces for the third line are already on the roster with a younger player moving up, such as Savoie. The fourth line is usually made up of grinding, role players who are cheaper, so it shouldn't be a major challenge to put that type of line together. That's not an issue I'm worried about. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

No one is disputing the fact that this team doesn't have enough depth, especially on the blueline. That's obvious. We currently have a decent 4th line, composed of Okposo, Krebs and Girgs. It's very likely that the fourth line will be reconstituted with additions from the system and market. For the most part, our top two lines are in place, and the pieces for the third line are already on the roster with a younger player moving up, such as Savoie. The fourth line is usually made up of grinding, role players who are cheaper, so it shouldn't be a major challenge to put that type of line together. That's not an issue I'm worried about. 

Top two lines are not in place, as you saw last game with the moves of Mitts and Thompson. 

Quinn and Peterka had their development year playing primarily with a young center coming into his own but both will have to be better to be "in place" on a top line. 

Without arguing about it here, we're also going to disagree on the value of the so called 4th line. imo neither Girgs or Kyle should be re-signed and Krebs hasn't shown himself to be anything more than Curtis Lazar. He's fine, but nothing special. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Top two lines are not in place, as you saw last game with the moves of Mitts and Thompson. 

Quinn and Peterka had their development year playing primarily with a young center coming into his own but both will have to be better to be "in place" on a top line. 

Without arguing about it here, we're also going to disagree on the value of the so called 4th line. imo neither Girgs or Kyle should be re-signed and Krebs hasn't shown himself to be anything more than Curtis Lazar. He's fine, but nothing special. 

I disagree on Krebs.. yes he needs to get stronger but his pest attitude and speed along with his growing NHL hockey sense makes him at least a very good 3rd or fourth liner... he may be another guy along with Mitts who can go up and down the lineup... Agree still on depth but young guys are coming... D needs shoring up past top 3.  If KO retires will need a big bodied or at least strong bodied grinder

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Krebs will be a good third or fourth line center. The comparison to Curtis Lazar is off the wall and makes no sense. With respect to who will be on the first or second line, it isn't a big issue. There are enough first and second-line players on the roster to mix and match. Quinn is going to be very good, and JJ will be a solid to good player. Some projections are a challenge. This isn't the case here, at least for me. 

14 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I disagree on Krebs.. yes he needs to get stronger but his pest attitude and speed along with his growing NHL hockey sense makes him at least a very good 3rd or fourth liner... 

I think it makes him an adequate 4th liner. He might still get better, but for now that's it. I do like his attitude though, but Lazar had that too. He was also an adequate 4th liner. 

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Krebs will be a good third or fourth line center. The comparison to Curtis Lazar is off the wall and makes no sense.

I think you see Lazar as a much lesser player than I do. After we threw him into the Hall trade he was a solid 4th line player for the Bruins and they were a pretty good team. He hit people all over the ice and played solid D. Just couldn't score so they let him go and he signed for more money elsewhere. Not that different from Krebs (as Krebs is right now). 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think you see Lazar as a much lesser player than I do. After we threw him into the Hall trade he was a solid 4th line player for the Bruins and they were a pretty good team. He hit people all over the ice and played solid D. Just couldn't score so they let him go and he signed for more money elsewhere. Not that different from Krebs (as Krebs is right now). 

I do like Laszr. However, he is a much different player than Krebs. Krebs can play a gritty game but his exceptional passing and vision give him a dimension that Lazar doesn't have. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not that exceptional. If it was, he'd have a greater offensive role. 

Your mind is contaminated with negativity. Every response you give has to be drenched with your sour disposition. Anyone who watches Krebs play in comparison to Lazar would quickly observe that Krebs is not only playing with grit but also is a good passer. Lazar's style of play is somewhat different. It's a hardnosed game but without the vision and passing skill that Krebs has. He has a simpler and more basic game. I'm not criticizing him but simply pointing out that their games are different. Krebs has a dimension to his game that Lazar will never have.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Your mind is contaminated with negativity. Every response you give has to be drenched with your sour disposition. Anyone who watches Krebs play in comparison to Lazar would quickly observe that Krebs is not only playing with grit but also is a good passer. Lazar's style of play is somewhat different. It's a hardnosed game but without the vision and passing skill that Krebs has. He has a simpler and more basic game. I'm not criticizing him but simply pointing out that their games are different. Krebs has a dimension to his game that Lazar will never have.

What makes you think I have a contaminated sour disposition? 

I merely feel that discussion of the flaws, weaknesses and problems with the team (and the solutions to these problems) is far more interesting than a lot of attaboy fan back slapping. That's boring. The bar I set for this team is high. I want to win the cup, not just not suck. Everything I talk about in terms of criticism is forward thinking on what we need to get there. So spare me the personal attacks okay. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What makes you think I have a contaminated sour disposition? 

I merely feel that discussion of the flaws, weaknesses and problems with the team (and the solutions to these problems) is far more interesting than a lot of attaboy fan back slapping. That's boring. The bar I set for this team is high. I want to win the cup, not just not suck. Everything I talk about in terms of criticism is forward thinking on what we need to get there. So spare me the personal attacks okay. 

What's odd is that the Sabres are finishing off the season in a flourish. Instead, you continue to focus your zealous campaign on this team's deficiencies. What you can't grasp is that when a team is rebuilding (as we are) not every weakness is going to be addressed all at once. That's part of the reality of a rebuilding process in any sport. 

You are not being personally attacked. So, spare me the victim card. What's be criticized is your lack of perspective on this team during this GM's short tenure. Your magical timeline for instant success doesn't correspond to the real world of fixing things.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's odd is that the Sabres are finishing off the season in a flourish. Instead, you continue to focus your zealous campaign on this team's deficiencies. What you can't grasp is that when a team is rebuilding (as we are) not every weakness is going to be addressed all at once. That's part of the reality of a rebuilding process in any sport. 

You are not being personally attacked. So, spare me the victim card. What's be criticized is your lack of perspective on this team during this GM's short tenure. Your magical timeline for instant success doesn't correspond to the real world of fixing things.

NOPE. What I have said (repeatedly) is I had a more optimistic view of this team and their potential than KA did. If you go back you will see I talked about this long before this late season charge with Levi. Go back to the Reinhart trade thread. When lots of people were saying bad trade and brushing him off as some 7th round pick I said it was a great trade and it wasn't a question of IF Levi would be a star goalie it was only a question of WHEN. Look at what I've said about Cozens since he was first drafted. I could list off a lot of "I told you so's" but the main point is before this season started I saw and talked about playoff potential but it required a few moves to fill gaping holes but if filled we could win NOW.  KA didn't see that likelihood so this was a "development year" and so we sit on a cusp rather than fighting for 2nd place with the leafs and that lost moment irritates me, but whatever, I'm the negative guy for you. Carry on. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

NOPE. What I have said (repeatedly) is I had a more optimistic view of this team and their potential than KA did. If you go back you will see I talked about this long before this late season charge with Levi. Go back to the Reinhart trade thread. When lots of people were saying bad trade and brushing him off as some 7th round pick I said it was a great trade and it wasn't a question of IF Levi would be a star goalie it was only a question of WHEN. Look at what I've said about Cozens since he was first drafted. I could list off a lot of "I told you so's" but the main point is before this season started I saw and talked about playoff potential but it required a few moves to fill gaping holes but if filled we could win NOW.  KA didn't see that likelihood so this was a "development year" and so we sit on a cusp rather than fighting for 2nd place with the leafs and that lost moment irritates me, but whatever, I'm the negative guy for you. Carry on. 

KA in foresight and hindsight did the right thing by playing the young players. It was the right approach to take for the players and organization. Instead of being pushed to the bench, the team box in the arena or to the lower league by adding more outside veteran players, the young players got the extra playing time, and ultimately it has, and will even more in the future, accelerate their development. Sometimes thinking with a tactical mindset can get you a meaningless short-term gain at the expense of the more meaningful near future. Anyone with half an ounce of objectivity who assess what Adams has done in his three short years should easily come to the conclusion that he has done a remarkable job. He has made hundreds of decisions that involve the organization, staff, scouting, drafting and developing of players. You don't have to agree with everything. But overall, he has done a superlative job. If you stand back and take a broader view of what has gone on, I'm confident that you will come away with a more positive assessment. 

Speaking for myself, this year has been remarkably fun to watch. Unsurprisingly, it has had its ups and downs. But this team is entertaining, getting better and winning at a greater frequency. We just added an exciting rookie goalie who gives indications that he will be a mainstay goalie for us, something we haven't had in a long time. And he was acquired in a deal that involved dealing one our old core. I'm more than happy and excited about the present and the future. 

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

KA in foresight and hindsight did the right thing by playing the young players. It was the right approach to take for the players and organization. Instead of being pushed to the bench, the team box in the arena or to the lower league by adding more outside veteran players, the young players got the extra playing time, and ultimately it has, and will even more in the future, accelerate their development. Sometimes thinking with a tactical mindset can get you a meaningless short-term gain at the expense of the more meaningful near future. Anyone with half an ounce of objectivity who assess what Adams has done in his three short years should easily come to the conclusion that he has done a remarkable job. He has made hundreds of decisions that involve the organization, staff, scouting, drafting and developing of players. You don't have to agree with everything. But overall, he has done a superlative job. If you stand back and take a broader view of what has gone on, I'm confident that you will come away with a more positive assessment. 

Speaking for myself, this year has been remarkably fun to watch. Unsurprisingly, it has had its ups and downs. But this team is entertaining, getting better and winning at a greater frequency. We just added an exciting rookie goalie who gives indications that he will be a mainstay goalie for us, something we haven't had in a long time. And he was acquired in a deal that involved dealing one our old core. I'm more than happy and excited about the present and the future. 

To the first paragraph. I think KA did a very good job with the necessary deconstruction. 3 good trades and the necessary removal of star egos from the locker room. I think on the other hand he has botched goaltending and done a poor job filling gaping holes on the current roster. 

To the second paragraph, yes, the team is more fun to watch now than in past years since the tank. Yes, they have true potential. It does feel like the beginnings of a true TEAM is taking place. The future may be bright. I simply disagree with KA's longer timeline/plan. I think it could be stepped up a little without compromising the future. I hope they see that this off season. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

To the first paragraph. I think KA did a very good job with the necessary deconstruction. 3 good trades and the necessary removal of star egos from the locker room. I think on the other hand he has botched goaltending and done a poor job filling gaping holes on the current roster. 

To the second paragraph, yes, the team is more fun to watch now than in past years since the tank. Yes, they have true potential. It does feel like the beginnings of a true TEAM is taking place. The future may be bright. I simply disagree with KA's longer timeline/plan. I think it could be stepped up a little without compromising the future. I hope they see that this off season. 

Next year, the Sabres are going to be a serious team. There are a couple of needs on defense that should be filled. The big issue is how to handle the goalie position. Will another goalie be added to support Levi or will the GM work with what he already has? I'm not sure what he is going to do. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.