GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - April 8, 2023, 12:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

35 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

There are those that praise themselves for being a good Sabresfan that think it's fun to mock those that criticize. I am old,  been a fan since day one.  I call it as I see it. No kool-aid drinker here.  If you do not like what I say,  iggy me or just put a hot poker in your eye.  It is my opinion,  I can take your opinion and your flavor of kool-aid, but I won't put lipstick on your pig to make it look better then it is. I am glad you root for the Sabres. But if all you have is that,  then as far as I am concerned,  you can jump off a very short pier. Ok, feel better now. BTW, love Levi, Stillman and Greenway. Great pickups for the price! Also love Casey on top line.  

Don't take any of the mocking personally. What you will find is that the posters whose views you find reasonable and insightful, even if you disagree with them, are not the same people who childishly throw slings at others. You have to ignore some people and give credibility to those who deserve it. If you have been here for a while, it won't be too difficult to discern what category the posters belong in. 

The best posters show their hockey smarts more when the team is swooning than when it is shining. I appreciate your comments. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Attached from a Sabres.com link is the coach's postgame and short locker room comments. He was asked about Levi's water bottle issue he seemed to be perplexed by the referee's decision. Also, within the page you can find the scoring highlights. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/don-granato-postgame-4823/t-277822760/c-16491424

For those of us who couldnt watch the whole game, what is this referring to? 

Just now, JohnC said:

Don't take any of the mocking personally. What you will find is that the posters whose views you find reasonable and insightful, even if you disagree with them, are not the same people who childishly throw slings at others. You have to ignore some people and give credibility to those who deserve it. If you have been here for a while, it won't be too difficult to discern what category the posters belong in. 

The best posters show their hockey smarts more when the team is swooning than when it is shining. I appreciate your comments. 

Not personal,  just decided to say something.  We are Buffalo fans and I am also a Met fan... cannot get thicker skin... lol

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

The ref kept confiscating Levi's water bottle.

EDIT--see also, now that I've listened to it:  

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Are these the kind of games people were talking about last spring when they said they needed to see them play well against good teams in games that mattered?

That was a playoff-style match against a very good hockey team and we kept coming.

Somebody up-thread talked about Donnie never adjusting, others have talked about him not coaching to win.

Rolling the top 4 D, benching the kids late, coming back with Levi, Mitts to line 1, Tuch to Cozens wing, Power and Dahlin to attack, Joki  and Mule to defend, using his pressers to re-iterate his belief in his players....

In the past 2 weeks he's put on a clinic: wins over the Rangers, Devils and Canes on a 6/1/1 run, and the much-maligned D has allowed less than 3 goals against per game during that span.

I was the one up thread who said the “coaching staff” shows no ability to adjust. That was prompted after watching their futility on the second PP in the first period. Carolina’s puck pressure demanded a change in tactics after their first PP opportunity in the game, but we saw the same ineptitude on the second power play as there were open areas to attack and it seemed like they weren’t even looking for them. I said “coaches” because I’m not sure how much of the PP strategy falls on Granato, others on the staff, or both.

It was an observation made out of frustration and while I don’t apologize for it, I’m also well aware of and thankful for the good job Granato has done in other areas. That’s not lost on me in the least.

Just now, OverPowerYou said:

If you are referring to the water bottle issue, it is that the referee took away Levi's water bottle from the holder on the top of the net. On the broadcast it was said that it was leaking so it was removed. It seems as if Levi wants his bottle upside down in the holder. The referee said no, not allowed. It still is perplexing to me. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are referring to the water bottle issue, it is that the referee took away Levi's water bottle from the holder on the top of the net. On the broadcast it was said that it was leaking so it was removed. It seems as if Levi wants his bottle upside down in the holder. The referee said no, not allowed. It still is perplexing to me. 

Granato's explanation in the press conference that YOU YOURSELF linked above is that Levi was putting his bottle on top of the net, thereby interfering with replay cameras, rather than using the holster on the back of the net.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Not allowed? Since when? Unless someone can point to the specific water bottle rule that states it cannot be placed upside down, then that ref is just pulling stuff out of his ass. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Not allowed? Since when? Unless someone can point to the specific water bottle rule that states it cannot be placed upside down, then that ref is just pulling stuff out of his ass. 

I am perplexed. It appears that the coach was perplexed. It seems as if the compulsive Levi prefers placing his water bottle upside down in the holder. I guess it was leaking. So the referee ordered that it be removed. What's interesting in this inexplicable episode is that instead of placing the water bottle right side up, he instead took his drink when he was by the bench. Goalie's can be eccentric and compulsive in their behavior. As long as he plays well I have no problem with his eccentricities. 

Just now, JohnC said:

It appears that the coach was perplexed.

No, it does not.  He gave a straightforward explanation that you linked to, and it had to do with where Levi put the bottle, not whether it was upside down.  Why are you making a puzzle out of something so simple?

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This isn't the issue and I have no idea why JohnC is suggesting that it is.

Edited by Eleven

Just now, Eleven said:

No, it does not.  He gave a straightforward explanation that you linked to.  Why are you making a puzzle out of something so simple?

At the end of the clip he pointed out that there wasn't an issue with any other referee in any of the other games. He then stated that he didn't know why it was an issue in this game. You are the one puzzled.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

At the end of the clip he pointed out that there wasn't an issue with any other referee in any of the other games. He then stated that he didn't know why it was an issue in this game. You are the one puzzled.

No, I'm not.  Just because no other referee took care of the problem doesn't mean there wasn't a problem.  It's the NHL, after all.  His explanation was straightforward and he understands why the ref did what he did TODAY.  He'll ask for clarification for Levi for the future. This isn't hard and it isn't a case of ambiguous speech, and it isn't even a real issue--are you sure it's "JohnC" and not "KellyanneC"?

Edited by Eleven
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, sweetlou said:

So a couple of game notes...

Stillman and Boosh pretty much benched for most of the third after being on the ice for the last two Carolina goals.

Jost only played 5:57 and was a -2...ouch

Quinn and JJP also -2 and only played a little over 10 minutes.

Not quite.  Pretty sure they saw the ice after the 3rd Canes goal.  (Not entirely positive there, but thought they got one more shift after that.) They and the Jost line got benched after the Sabres scored the 4th goal.  Only Quinn saw the ice at the end of the PK and that nearly backfired as he led to the turnover to give the Canes 1 last chance on that sequence.

Edit: actually am sure the 3rd pair was out after that 3rd Cane goal.  Stillman's accidental "throwing" of his stick at Levi happened in the 3rd.  (Also, weren't Henri and Owen on the ice for the 3rd goal against?)

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Granato said the ref told him the water bottle was blocking a goal camera.   Levi was not using the correct holder, or something like that.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

Not sure how Levi wasn't the 2nd star tonight.  Yes, Dahlin was the MAN today, but with any of the other 3 goalies in net we're wondering if Comrie's record would be broken.

Really liked the effort today.  They battled all game.  Threw more big hits today than any 2 other games. 

When they get used to having a quality NHL net minder behind them, they should get better in their own end as they'll focus on taking away the options rather than the initial shot.

Had said in other threads, thought Mitts was only a W.  Maybe was wrong about being wrong about him being a C.  He's been good in that role the past 3 times he's been there.  Could see his versatility and hopefully Greenway meshing with a full training camp here giving Granato a lot of flexibility in how to deploy the troops.

78 games in and they're still alive.  Been a long time since we've seen that.  Probably won't get there.  But until they're out, it's possible.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.