This team has taken all the goodwill built up over the last year and...

matter2003

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Just wait till you see what a difference goaltending makes.

It's absurd how bad goaltending is on home ice, and it's getting worse.

Outshoot the Bruins... 26-25, 2.58 xGA, 3.33 xGF, result 7-0 loss, UPL .720 sv%.

Outshoot the Preds 31-27, 3.2 xGA, 4.2 xGF, result 7-3 loss, Anderson .700 sv%

As someone who played at a high level it's absolutely critical that you trust your goaltender to make saves.  If you don't have that trust, then it's virtually impossible to play your normal game.

This. 

We've been conditioned now by atrocious, echl level goaltending, to view any defensive breakdowns as this major super issue of death when in reality, all teams see chances against in games but our goalies couldn't stop a motorcycle with the great wall of China. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

This is all playoff caliber hockey, they don't have the intensity to match other teams who are in similar playoff race as we are. We need guys who have been there and done, who know what it takes to win this late in the year. I said last year I hope we translate into wins next year , it's easy to play well when you have no pressure last season. The pressure was on and they crumbled. I've said it beofre we need a top 4 Dman who's actually good at defense, a bottom pairing 2 way dman who has playoff experience, a top 6 forward, and tough/2 way players who hit and have experience to replace guys like Okposo/Olofsson/Middlestadt and most importantly a goalie like Saros/Demko (someone along those lines) until the savior is ready to become the savior.

True to a point, but how do you explain the losses to CBJ, Philly, and Nashville last night.  They are getting killed by the lower tier teams too. 

Two members of this team have played real playoff hockey - Okposso and Anderson.  Both are likely retiring after this season. A few other have a couple games.  

The veteran leadership is almost nonexistent.  

Will Adams address that?

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JKB1646 said:

I still believe in the organization and it’s depth of talent but we need to have the defensemen play D first and foremost. So many on this board were handing Dahlin the Norris trophy and for CRIPES sake the Calder to Powers. I would have had his ass down to Rochester after turnover 56! We have a plethora of forwards and looks like our goalie, fingers crossed but for gods sake can we get some solid Dmen who play D first.

How does it look like we have our goalie?   What are you seeing?   We are still at Tokarski/Dell levels of play.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

True to a point, but how do you explain the losses to CBJ, Philly, and Nashville last night.  They are getting killed by the lower tier teams too. 

Two members of this team have played real playoff hockey - Okposso and Anderson.  Both are likely retiring after this season. A few other have a couple games.  

The veteran leadership is almost nonexistent.  

Will Adams address that?

Okposo is a great guy and has many leadership qualities. However, he has only played 24 playoff games in 16 seasons. He doesn’t know what it takes to win.

Anderson was able to help a bit but cannot stop a volleyball now. Mentorship and cheerleading are needed but leading by example is more powerful.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Okposo is a great guy and has many leadership qualities. However, he has only played 24 playoff games in 16 seasons. He doesn’t know what it takes to win.

Anderson was able to help a bit but cannot stop a volleyball now. Mentorship and cheerleading are needed but leading by example is more powerful.

Yes.  My point exactly.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This. 

We've been conditioned now by atrocious, echl level goaltending, to view any defensive breakdowns as this major super issue of death when in reality, all teams see chances against in games but our goalies couldn't stop a motorcycle with the great wall of China. 

I preferred beach ball with a Gatling gun.

Seriously, @pi2000is right, the goalie who can make some key saves just invigorates the entire team.

Team defense is weak but there has to be some saves. Weak example but the team played better in the third after UPL came in and held the Fort.

I think it is time to run with Levi. I don’t think some stinkers will break his spirit. He is capable of some big saves and that might inspire the group to care a little more.

• Like (+1) 1

We have won lots of games this year where our goalies were the difference on the positive side.  We do not have goalies though who will allow you to consistently just trade chances with the opposition. Nashville’s 3rd goal last night was a great example of what we have been seeing since the break. We score to get back in it and immediately lose all patience; Joker makes an ill-advised pinch, Okposo fails to properly cover and Stillman gives up the centre of the ice and its 3-1 and really the game is over. Sure, Anderson could make the save (and we should expect our goalies to) but this team gives up way too many uncontested opportunities. I don’t care what the analytics say, there is a difference between a slot shot where the shooter is hurried by a defender and one where the shooter has time to pick his spot. We give up more of the latter than any of the teams we play and until that’s fixed we will need Hasek level goaltending to be a winning team. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I preferred beach ball with a Gatling gun.

Seriously, @pi2000is right, the goalie who can make some key saves just invigorates the entire team.

Team defense is weak but there has to be some saves. Weak example but the team played better in the third after UPL came in and held the Fort.

I think it is time to run with Levi. I don’t think some stinkers will break his spirit. He is capable of some big saves and that might inspire the group to care a little more.

I agree.  Levi does not seem "fragile" in his demeanor and has maybe been used to playing like a Hasek for Northeastern.  Maybe his appearance can inspire the team to play a little better in front of him.

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

I agree.  Levi does not seem "fragile" in his demeanor and has maybe been used to playing like a Hasek for Northeastern.  Maybe his appearance can inspire the team to play a little better in front of him.

He was Hasek for Northeastern, they gave up tons of shots every game but he kept them in it.

What is there to lose now?

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I still like this team overall… I hope management improves the team over the summer. In the obvious areas. Sorry if the cool kids are all jumping off the bridge and I refuse to do it. My bad.

Sure, most of us do like the core players.   But you can’t fall in love with too many players on this roster because this team is still a work in progress.  

More players need to be replaced and more experience is needed. If we replace Anderson, Kyle, VO, and Z with talent from within we will be almost as young next season. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Under Dan Bylsma we ended the season with 81 pts. We currently have 72 with 12 games remaining. 7-13 since the break, if we keep that pace we might win 6 which would put us 3 pts ahead of the Bylsma team come season end. 

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a strong possibility we may not get past 80 points. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sure, most of us do like the core players.   But you can’t fall in love with too many players on this roster because this team is still a work in progress.  

More players need to be replaced and more experience is needed. If we replace Anderson, Kyle, VO, and Z with talent from within we will be almost as young next season. 

Not in love with any of them. 

Any good team who is good year after year is a work in progress. Not just the bad teams.

All the “young and inexperienced” from last year, are not any longer.

All the “young and inexperienced” from this year, won’t be next year.

Young … yes.

I still like this team overall… I hope management improves the team over the summer. In the obvious areas. 

Edited by Zamboni

Man, this team had an 8 game losing streak earlier this season.

They are extremely young, doesn’t have great depth, and the goaltending is not good.

I am honestly surprised that so many people are surprised that they are going through a bad stretch of hockey.

To, this is disappointing, of course, but it was somewhat predictable and it doesn’t destroy all the good work that has been done so far in assembling this group.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Just wait till you see what a difference goaltending makes.

It's absurd how bad goaltending is on home ice, and it's getting worse.

Outshoot the Bruins... 26-25, 2.58 xGA, 3.33 xGF, result 7-0 loss, UPL .720 sv%.

Outshoot the Preds 31-27, 3.2 xGA, 4.2 xGF, result 7-3 loss, Anderson .700 sv%

As someone who played at a high level it's absolutely critical that you trust your goaltender to make saves.  If you don't have that trust, then it's virtually impossible to play your normal game.

To the bolded, absolutely.  It really does mess up how you play because you expect any shots to become goals against so you change what you're doing ever so slightly and you end up giving up worse opportunities against as you either try to take away every opportunity against or grip the stick too tightly realizing any bad pass is going to become a goal against.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not in love with any of them. 

Any good team who is good year after year is a work in progress. Not just the bad teams.

All the “young and inexperienced” from last year, are not any longer.

All the “young and inexperienced” from this year, won’t be next year.

Young … yes.

I still like this team overall… I hope management improves the team over the summer. In the obvious areas. 

I would have to say that Boston and Tampa are much less a work in progress than Buffalo. Just my opinion but they have far fewer question marks.  Replacing Bergeron, although not easy, will be accomplished at some point.  

The sense of urgency to get better needs to increase.  I’m talking about Sabres Management.   Right up to March, the Sabres players outperformed their front office and coaches expectations.  No one can convince me otherwise.   

You don’t become an experienced player in one year.   No teams win Cups with a roster this young.  Next year Quinn and Peterka and Power will still be inexperienced, just like Krebs and Samuelsson are this year.    Given Adams comments on prospects and blockers we could be just as young next year.   

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would have to say that Boston and Tampa are much less a work in progress than Buffalo. Just my opinion but they have far fewer question marks.  Replacing Bergeron, although not easy, will be accomplished at some point.  

The sense of urgency to get better needs to increase.  I’m talking about Sabres Management.   Right up to March, the Sabres players outperformed their front office and coaches expectations.  No one can convince me otherwise.   

You don’t become an experienced player in one year.   No teams win Cups with a roster this young.  Next year Quinn and Peterka and Power will still be inexperienced, just like Krebs and Samuelsson are this year.    Given Adams comments on prospects and blockers we could be just as young next year.   

In your mind the definition of “inexperienced” is different than the definition in my mind. So we agree to disagree. no big deal.

i’m thinking of the literal definition. Not putting feeling or emotion into the definition. Again, no big deal 👍🏼

I still have a positive outlook on the team overall. And nothing anybody types on a silly message board is going to change my mind on it. I wouldn’t be a season ticket holder for 19 years (next season) if I didn’t have some kind of positive outlook and enjoyment from the sport and team. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with most of what you said.   I have posted a lot of the same thoughts in many threads this morning, but they apply to the conversations in many threads.

This team is NOT that far away.  Look at New Jersey the last 3-4 years. They let their young guys play through things and got humliated some games. When they thought the time was right (when THEY thought it was, not on the fans timeline), they made some moves and then took a big jump. The Sabres may be in the same spot this coming offseason/season. BUT, this is where management needs to make the moves.

inexperience is an issue, especially with the forwards. I'm going to say this over and over but as good as some of the young guys are right now (Quinn, Cozens), they are bad without the puck in the back 2 zones.  Quinn has quietly taken the most steps forward this year in that regard, but Peterka, Krebs, even Cozens WILL hopefully get better with expereince but the can be dreadful without the puck in their own zone (Cozens is a good forechecker, maybe 2nd best to Tuch on the team but he can positially be a disaster in the middle and back zones).

With 1-2 more guys on the backend, and with good goaltending, you can cover up a lot of your deficiencies by the forward group WHILE they gain expereince and get better.  I don't know what the answer is at goaltender....but this team getting even average goaltending next year AND more depth on the back end probably leads to them being in the playoffs next year.  You don't need to re-tool the entire roster.  2-3, maybe 4 strategic moves/additions are all you need.

Management is on the clock to do that this offseason.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.