GDT: Dallas @ Sabres - Mar. 9, 2023, 7:00pm, MSG, ESPN+, & WGR

WhenWillItEnd66

I’m out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of goaltending? 

Why why why do you not pull Comrie? It wasn’t like the backup was injured or had played last night. Just give him the hook and say “go get ‘em next time.”

And Portillo thought he wouldn’t get a shot with this roster???

But VO scored so maybe that ignites an 8-2 streak and they’re right back in it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Granato has refused to pull goalies all season. Each blowout game it was obvious by the 3rd goal there was an issue and he didn’t pull and we lose a winnable game. This is no different. Granato got improvements but ain’t the guy to get us there. 

Good teams will pull a goalie after two goals. The goalies get over it and stay happy. Granato just a softie

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Personally, I'm done with Comrie. Not because of tonight, but because of the body of work.

17 games played and just 5 starts where he's had a SV% above the bare-minimum Mendoza line of .900.

The guy's had 10 starts - well over half his games - where he's had a SV% under .880! Has that ever happened in the past 25 years?

We've had far better performances from goalies on far worse teams.

Sure there are plenty of other issues to fix, but that one is blindingly obvious and it is fixable.

He ain't it. It's beyond debatable.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Has anyone ever seen an uninjured goalie replaced with 10 minutes left in the game?

It was 5-3 with just over 10 minutes left.

Maybe it was "cruel" to Comrie. It also would have been cruel to the backup to put him there.

I’ve seen other goalies pulled after the 7th, 8th goals, yes. 

This is the type of thing that led to Roy telling the Habs he would never play for them again. With any luck, Comrie told the Sabres the same thing tonight. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

I’ve seen other goalies pulled after the 7th, 8th goals, yes. 

This is the type of thing that led to Roy telling the Habs he would never play for them again. With any luck, Comrie told the Sabres the same thing tonight. 

The bold wasn't my question.

As for your other point, I agree entirely.

26 minutes ago, Billznut said:

When the games started to matter most, the past 10 days, the Sabres have responded by losing 5 of their last 6. The moment was too big for this team, which isn’t totally unexpected honestly. It isn’t just tonight for doom and gloom, it’s the last 10 days. 

We missed Dahlin for several and Tuch for all 10… Too big without these leaders… 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

The bold wasn't my question.

As for your other point, I agree entirely.

We have seen how well the Sabres seem to score goals with UPL in net. Maybe after that 7th goal, they put UPL in, and they make a miraculous comeback. 

Now we will never know. 

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Has anyone ever seen an uninjured goalie replaced with 10 minutes left in the game?

Maybe it was "cruel" to Comrie. It also would have been cruel to the backup to put him there.

It was the second period… Lot of game left… 

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s a good point 

Id have pulled him before even 5, but in the way you outline they didn’t “leave him twisting in the wind”, either.

it makes it easier for this fan to stomach, tbh. Comrie needed to help himself out lol 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm sure I've seen them replaced after 5 goals in 2 periods, and I'm also sure I've seen goalies replaced after 5 goals in 30 minutes.

And this isn't a one-off.  There was the Flames game less than a month ago, where UPL should have been pulled in the second, and a Leaves game where he should have been pulled about ten minutes in.  Also within a month.

This is a pattern of mismanagement.  It does nothing for the team or the goalie behind them to leave a guy hanging like that.  It is wasteful.  It is as stupid as Granato's failures to pull goalies for an extra attacker early enough. (Did anyone watch the Pens the other night?  That's how it's done.)

Granato mismanages and ruins goaltenders. He doesn't realize that changing goalies mid-game sends a message to the WHOLE TEAM that they're sucking and don't deserve the starter.

Maybe Granato has enough good qualities for the Sabres to keep him while he learns about this, but he is absolutely horrible at this at the moment.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Why do I feel like a bad father for sending my kids to the Rangers game on Saturday? I feel like I am ushering them to the slaughterhouse.

Nah, you're not a bad father.  I'm a worse friend...went to the game tonight, saw that dumpster fire, and had outstanding foresight a few months ago to organize a guy's get-together for the Ranger game.  I'm just hoping to have a nice buffet before the game.  It's all about managing expectations as a Sabres fan. 😉  

What a stinker that one was.  

Peterka was the only player that had a reasonably good game, out of 18 skaters and 1 goalie, only getting 1 guy playing reasonably well is awful. Yes Greenway had 2 points, but good Lord, his passing was attrocious. Won't single anyone else out (and only singled him out to point out that sometimes scoring doesn't mean you played well), but could single them all out.

So incredibly frustrating that they quit the final 10 minutes. This team never quit last year nor this year until 1 week ago against the Bruins. That's twice in 1 week. For all the talk of Dahlin, or Cozens, or Thompson, or whomever as the Captain next year; there is only 1 player on this entire roster (well besides a goalie and possibly Bryson &/or Clague) that wasn't involved in either game. THAT is the guy that should be the next Captain.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I am shocked to see this score and to hear Comrie was in for all 10. Shame on the team and the coach for letting him stay in the whole game. That’s not right. 

Well, it was fun for awhile but it’s clearly over now. Hopefully the gm is taking note and they have a plan moving forward to fix the deficiencies.

• Like (+1) 2

It is interesting that this is how the team has responded to Adams emotional declaration of faith last Friday:

• an inspired win over Tampa
  • a well-played tight loss to Edmonton where they got goalied.
  • a frustrating 1-goal loss where they seem to be tight and struggled with adversity
  • tonight where they completely fell apart

It's funny, I more or less felt like Tuesday blew our chances. After being able to shake off adversity more often than not, they played tonight like they agreed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.