Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

I think the thing that clicked with Casey this season is his work along the boards.  The play in the first last night where Casey won the forecheck battle stole the puck and made the great pass to a breaking Skinner has now become a typical Casey play.  Just wait until next year when Casey continues to hit the weight room.  He is already a pretty big guy and like many of the young Sabres, he needs to get stronger.

One thing we need to realize about Casey is that on every team he has ever played on, until the Sabres, he was the go-to scoring option.  He was a top 10 pick who dominated the World Jrs.  His game, until now, was geared to be that primary scoring threat.  Now he is morphing into a secondary playmaker who creates off the forecheck.  That's a very different role and it takes time for a player to make that transition, but we have seen him successfully make the transition this season.

The goal scoring will come.  He has a very good shot, but DG wants him to be a playmaker.  You can see that on every shift.  He won't ever put up 30, but will add 20 here and there.  I'm thinking a Nik Backstrom kind of player with 70 points being the peak, or maybe a better version of Hecht.  That's a great secondary piece to have.  

He is also becoming our Jack of all trades.  He is forechecking and playmaking as a winger along the boards but also can fill in at center when needed.  He can also play up and down the lineup.  

One final note.  I doubt he gets traded this off-season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Our third line - We have a 40 assist/50 point winger on the 3rd line that can sub into the top 6.  We also have a 26 goal scoring winger on the 3rd line.  The majority of the folks here want to trade one or both of them.   Neither are physical two way players but how many teams have this?  

Forward Prospects are Savioe, Kulich, Östlund, Rosen, Rousek, and others - right now we are rich.   

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Has Casey been skating on the RW? I think he's always listed as C/LW. That's not a bad idea if he's comfortable on that side (or they shuffle things around and someone else plays RW while he plays on LW). Does seem like 50+ points might be too costly for a 3/4 line wing when his contract comes around though.

He's been on the left when I've been paying attention.

The bolded is interesting.

To me, a 3/4 line wing reads as your #10 forward. You certainly can't be paying your #10 what a 50-point scorer makes.

But right now, Casey is the Sabres pretty clear #5, as measured by ice time (after Tage, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens).

My expectation would be that Quinn overtakes him next year while current #6 Kyle gets phased down or out, leaving Casey fighting off an improving Peterka and Krebs for the 6/7 slot.

Ideally, you want a team where most of your lineup is playing a slot below where they belong: that's the definition of depth.

I think we can both win with, and afford, a team with Casey scoring 50 points from the #7 slot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

People have not let go of the history of Mitts.  That's the situation. They'll still look at some of his plays and say he's careless or makes poor decisions but I've seen similar decision made from the Norris heralded defenseman on the team and no one says anything.

He's improved considerably and that's a benefit for the team.  Whether he stays or not is another story.  There are a few others that would get moved first but if right piece for the Sabres was out there and Mitts was the key player going back I think they would move him.  He's not irreplaceable, but he certainly is adding value to the team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

People have not let go of the history of Mitts.  That's the situation. They'll still look at some of his plays and say he's careless or makes poor decisions but I've seen similar decision made from the Norris heralded defenseman on the team and no one says anything.

He's improved considerably and that's a benefit for the team.  Whether he stays or not is another story.  There are a few others that would get moved first but if right piece for the Sabres was out there and Mitts was the key player going back I think they would move him.  He's not irreplaceable, but he certainly is adding value to the team.

Agree.  Personally, I thought VO would stay another year and Casey would be gone.

I now feel the reverse should be done.

Edited by Cheektorado
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Kind of blown away by Mitts.  You know these guys are going to get better as they age... but holy moly.  He just turned it on halfway through the season and hasn't looked back since.  

9 points in his last 6 games

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Be nice if he could actually score a few to round out his game.

He's getting chances and his hands are good enough, it just looks like his in his own head.

That's what makes him a middle-sixer instead of a top liner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I went from swearing at Mitts last year and early this year. Now I’m calling for him to be on the ice at points.

I don’t think we could have shaken the lines up like we did today without Mitts. His versatility and tenacity lately is the glue.

EDIT: Worth noting, he is the only guy on the roster who has played every single game.

Edited by Mango
Add on
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Thing that is bugging me about his game lately is he is fast, he's getting to pucks and he is moving in hard down the wing, but then his awareness of where his linemates are and his decision making is poor. He's constantly shooting low percentage shots from the wing, easy stops for any goalie and usually a loss of possession. He needs to vary his game more and make better decisions. 

His tenacity is admirable however. He is trying. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Thing that is bugging me about his game lately is he is fast, he's getting to pucks and he is moving in hard down the wing, but then his awareness of where his linemates are and his decision making is poor. He's constantly shooting low percentage shots from the wing, easy stops for any goalie and usually a loss of possession. He needs to vary his game more and make better decisions. 

His tenacity is admirable however. He is trying. 

Poor decision-making?

He’s just outside the top 50 for assists in the entire NHL.

He’s got 1 less than Point, Matthews and Kopitar.

Since Jan. 1 he has 29 assists in 43 games. That’s tied for 22nd.

I don’t think all those decisions have been poor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Poor decision-making?

read my sentence. I said what's bugging me about his game lately. 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Poor decision-making?

Against Florida there were two occasions where his forecheck created a turnover and he was left in front of the net at a bad angle and nobody to pass to. His line mates left him for dead. There was nothing to do but shoot the puck. If the entire team skated the way he did that game we would have won that one. 

I didn't like Mitts for a while and now I hope the Sabres find a way to keep him around going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mitts is starting to find his niche as a very good passer and set up man. He has started to show some tenacity in both backchecking and puck battles as well.  I am starting to like his game more and more.  I think he has another level he can take it to next year that may see him around 20 goals and 65-70 points.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Poor decision-making?

When you consider his ice time, he is actually 14th in the league in assists per 60 minutes this year.  15th when you only consider primary assists (I'm not a huge fan of secondary assists.  You get just as many 'points' for being the 2nd last player to touch the puck on your team before a goal as you do for actually scoring?  In my perfect world when considering the scoring champ for a year, scoring a 'goal' would get you 3 points, a primary assist 2 points, and a secondary assist 1 point--but that is a different discussion)

Edited by mjd1001

I appreciate how he's rounded out his game.  His path here has been rocky,  He's demonstrated the resilience to weather the ups and downs and the self awareness to develop from a highly touted prospect into a versatile secondary contributor.

We have young guns on the roster and more coming that will need to "find themselves" as NHL players.  We are also facing the departure of veteran leadership with some combination of #21, #28. and #41 moving on after the season.

Casey represents is an under the radar candidate to help fill the leadership void and guide some of these young studs.

15 minutes ago, IvanPutski said:

I agree that his play has come along but I'd still try to move him for a Top 4 defenseman; would you trade him straight up for Matt Dumba? 

Right shot who plays a physical game.  Not sure if Minnesota would but it would be worth a phone call.

Dumba is a UFA in July.

Edited by French Collection

Mittlestadt has reached the level where you don't move him unless its part of a package that nets a single far better piece in return.  The Sabres have other ways to address defense.  Penciling in young players over him is a possibility but a risky one. Sure, they MIGHT be good.  But the Sabres are at a point where players have to earn their ice time.  Mitts is simply a player that you keep on the roster, especially under his current contract.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Mitts is starting to find his niche as a very good passer and set up man. He has started to show some tenacity in both backchecking and puck battles as well.  I am starting to like his game more and more.  I think he has another level he can take it to next year that may see him around 20 goals and 65-70 points.

Agreed here. Also sorta wild we may relegate him a 70 point player to the 3rd line. 

Part of the reason I liked the line shake up last night. Mitts plays well there, and Tommers played super well on the wing, even banged up it meant that Cozens and Greenway were more productive. Even Quinn and JJP benefited from having Josts physicality. 

The Pens were successful for a long time doing something similar. And none of that precludes us from ever going back and forth situationally. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.