GDT: The Buffalo Sabres Host Atlantic Rival Tampa Bay Lightning 3/4/2023 at 12:30pm EST on MSG & ESPN+

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Amazing what great goaltending does for this team. Just wish we had it more consistently. Maybe Comrie is turning the corner. We can hope right. 

Yes, but you are also seeing very good defensive play that helps goaltending. You didn't see anyone tied in knots in their own end today.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

There's no GDT for Edmonton yet and I don't think is worthy of its own thread so I'm just going to list it here and all'y'all can yell at me for it.

The Sabres have matched up well against EDM the last couple seasons. There was the blowout loss in Edmonton last spring before the 1-0 shutout W in CGY. But the key has been a speedy lineup that can counter McDavid.

That starts with Cozens and Hino together. I don't put Greenway in the lineup over Hino. I sit either JJP or VO. If it's VO, I sit him the one game and have him back in the lineup (over JJP) vs. NYI. I swap them back and forth on 3/6 and 3/7 either way. Both guys could use 1 game away to watch from above --- even though they've both been close to scoring on breakaways the last two games.

I start Comrie in goal vs. EDM. He had a great game against them early this season. Then, I start Anderson vs. the Isles. UPL can backup both games.

Finally, because speed is the key vs. EDM, I dress Bryson or Clague over Stillman in the EDM game. Bryson has been good vs. EDM because of his wheels. Then, Stillman is in vs. NYI. This also gives Stillman an extra day to recover from the knockout. Plus, Greenway will bring the new-team juice on Monday. Both of them can show off together on Tuesday.

tl;dr version:

3/6 - Comrie, UPL. Clague or Bryson. Greenway in - VO or JJP out

3/7 - Anderson, UPL. Stillman back in. Greenway in - JJP or VO out

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Even more amazing, in a sense, is what just good goaltending can do. If Comrie could play like he did today (.917 sv%), good, on a consistent basis, we’d actually have a good goalie on our hands. Problem is he’s almost always sub 900. Not a coincidence that his stats today reflect everyone’s eye test. They often do 

FYI:

We have received .9 or better goaltending 28 times this season.  Our record is 21-6-1.  .899 or less our record is 11-19-3, although in games we received .860 to .899 goaltending our offense is so good we still went 8-4-1.  However, 33 games of below-average goaltending is simply not good enough.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It’s amazing that each of the 3 goalies seems to have a good game and then a brutal game. Granato has to cobble this 3 headed monster together to try to get enough good goalie starts to make the playoffs.

As others have mentioned, their team defence and PKing need to improve to make the goalies job easier.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:

We have received .9 or better goaltending 28 times this season.  Our record is 21-6-1.  .899 or less our record is 11-19-3, although in games we received .860 to .899 goaltending our offense is so good we still went 8-4-1.  However, 33 games of below-average goaltending is simply not good enough.  

Boom

@Believer

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And just about everyone else said it, but my god was that a poorly officiated game.

I forgot to mention that in my recap.  The tripping call against Samuelsson was one of the worst I've seen in a while.  The failure to call the hit on Krebs when the guy was without a helmet was inexcusable.  

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Even more amazing, in a sense, is what just good goaltending can do. If Comrie could play like he did today (.917 sv%), good, on a consistent basis, we’d actually have a good goalie on our hands. Problem is he’s almost always sub 900. Not a coincidence that his stats today reflect everyone’s eye test. They often do 

*Small sample size alert*

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:

The fact it’s more often actively bad than even average is such a avenue for potential improvement. It’s at once maddening but also framed properly one of the greatest positives 

we are taking off clearly but there’s quite a bit of runway left to really, really launch this off 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Boom

@Believer

Your welcome 🙂

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

Please see my post above.  I don't think 28 games is a small sample size.

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Goalies playing good has been way too small a sample size, unfortunately, yes 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your welcome 🙂

You’re

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Goalies playing good has been way too small a sample size, unfortunately, yes 

We've had one goaltender on this team who actually had an opportunity to get into a rhythm: UPL.

That is incredibly important for goaltenders

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your welcome 🙂

With an injury in between and a laughable defense during the first stint

EDIT: possible misunderstanding; I've been referring specifically to Comrie

Edited by erickompositör72

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

We've had one goaltender on this team who actually had an opportunity to get into a rhythm: UPL.

That is incredibly important for goaltenders

UPL has questionable rythym 

… All I need is the rhythm *divine* 
Lost in the music, Levi will be mine

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

He is coming back from a small concussion. He can only go so far until his head feels like it’s going to explode so they took them off the ice late.

If his head starts hurting the longer he plays, that’s a major indication that you shouldn’t be playing at all.

2 hours ago, Justin C said:

So everyone that had the most idiotic, irrational takes after last game will come back and make calm, rational takes today right?

Welcome, but don't come rolling in here and calling people's takes idiotic.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Just when you think Harrington can’t get any more tone-deaf 😔

Good on Vinnie.

"Tone-deaf" is putting it mildly.  Harrington, not always but too often, gives off a bitter, unkind edge.  WTF is his problem here?  Criticizing a child on one of the biggest days of that kid's life?

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

Amazing what great goaltending does for this team. Just wish we had it more consistently. Maybe Comrie is turning the corner. We can hope right. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I'll say it:  it's time to give Comrie a chance at the top slot.  He's gotten 5 starts since returning from injury and won his last 4. 

I agree with darthebriate that he should start on Monday vs Edmonton, and if they win, he should take Tuesday off and then get the following game.

5 minutes ago, onthewarpath said:

That's hilarious.  I posted a thread to this effect about two months ago and got banned.  .900% gets some pannies in a bunch around here.

Without even checking, I'm quite confident that's not the reason you got suspended.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Hate is a strong word, but plenty people on here were perplexed with his acquisition. 

There was nothing perplexing about the acquisition. He was a third or fourth pairing type of player who was going to take minutes away from Clague and Bryson. That's exactly what many here were clamoring for, and doing so for a long time. 

Many here wanted to acquire Chycrun. As it turned out so did our GM. When, after the fact,  it was explained that the Sabres made a legitimate offer to Arizona that may have surpassed Ottawa's offer then that issue was put aside. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well that was a satisfying win to me. very enjoyable hockey game. A real hockey game with all the ups and downs and good and bad you get in a good hockey game.

2 things I've repeated often:

1 - switch to the goat heads full time and forever.

2- We look like a real NHL hockey team again. Imperfect, still things to improve, but it's a huge step forward from what we had.

Push back against Tampa was nice to see. Refs favoring Tampa was as usual and often. Don't know why, but they often seem to get breaks. Refs were bad today.

I think you can see why I suggested trading for Jeannot  when I heard he was being shopped around. Guy is a beast and has some talent to go with it. He will make a few Leafs fall before that series is over. Stillman is brave? Foolish? idk, but I felt sorry for the poor guy. 

Thompson's a great scorer and everything, and I'm not saying he should fight (at least not often) but I wish he'd be tougher in those scrums. Big man like that should pull some people out of the way a little harder and hit a few as well. I mean if Skinner can jump a guy, come on Tage. belt somebody and help out. 

Worst play of the night though was Jost on the PK when he lost his stick. Absolutely useless so it was basically a 5 on 3. Take a point man away or just go to the bench and get another stick cause he was just a spectator on that sequence. Fortunately made up for it with a goal later on so he's even. 

Finally saw some Comrie, he was average and adequate. No more no less.

Anyway, lots of positive signs and a good bounce back effort that they had to have after they fell apart in Boston. 

Looking forward to seeing what Greenway adds. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 2

Dahlin and Thompson have both registered points in 70 percent of their games played this season. Dahlin in 40 games this year out of 57 played, Tage in 43 in 61 games played.

Our next 2 leading scorers, Tuch and Skinner, are at 65% and 66% respectively

After that, Cozens has found a way onto the scoreboard in 58% of games. No one else above 50. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.