GDT: The Buffalo Sabres Host Atlantic Rival Tampa Bay Lightning 3/4/2023 at 12:30pm EST on MSG & ESPN+

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

It’s amazing that each of the 3 goalies seems to have a good game and then a brutal game. Granato has to cobble this 3 headed monster together to try to get enough good goalie starts to make the playoffs.

As others have mentioned, their team defence and PKing need to improve to make the goalies job easier.

I thought the PK was very good today; best it’s been in a long time if not all season.

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that was a satisfying win to me. very enjoyable hockey game. A real hockey game with all the ups and downs and good and bad you get in a good hockey game.

2 things I've repeated often:

1 - switch to the goat heads full time and forever.

2- We look like a real NHL hockey team again. Imperfect, still things to improve, but it's a huge step forward from what we had.

Push back against Tampa was nice to see. Refs favoring Tampa was as usual and often. Don't know why, but they often seem to get breaks. Refs were bad today.

I think you can see why I suggested trading for Jeannot  when I heard he was being shopped around. Guy is a beast and has some talent to go with it. He will make a few Leafs fall before that series is over. Stillman is brave? Foolish? idk, but I felt sorry for the poor guy. 

Thompson's a great scorer and everything, and I'm not saying he should fight (at least not often) but I wish he'd be tougher in those scrums. Big man like that should pull some people out of the way a little harder and hit a few as well. I mean if Skinner can jump a guy, come on Tage. belt somebody and help out. 

Worst play of the night though was Jost on the PK when he lost his stick. Absolutely useless so it was basically a 5 on 3. Take a point man away or just go to the bench and get another stick cause he was just a spectator on that sequence. Fortunately made up for it with a goal later on so he's even. 

Finally saw some Comrie, he was average and adequate. No more no less.

Anyway, lots of positive signs and a good bounce back effort that they had to have after they fell apart in Boston. 

Looking forward to seeing what Greenway adds. 

It's funny how two people can watch the same event and come away with very different views. I thought Comrie played well. I would have given him the first star of the game. In the first period, he was superb. I wouldn't rate his performance as being exceptional, but from my perspective he played consistently well throughout the game. The one goal in the third period when Tampa was shorthanded, he was left naked on the doorstep of the crease with no support. If this caliber of goaltending was consistently evident this season, the Sabres would be a team that would be chased for a playoff spot. 

• Like (+1) 2

This goes without saying, but this is a completely different team with Dahlin (and Tuch, for that matter) on the ice. It's always entertaining watching the meltdowns every time we fall behind or lose a game. It's always "KA isn't doing anything to help the team" or "fire Granato, he sucks!" Without fail, every time. Not necessarily talking about here, moreso social media. Just can't see the forest for the trees.

They're building something special here and not just for one run, for sustained success.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Kronsteen said:

This isn't even subtle that the refs are calling the game differently for the two teams.

Don't believe the refs were calling it differently for each team, but bot refs were calling VERY different games.  

30, the older ref, was calling the game the way refs typically do.  He tended to make most of the calls against the Bolts, but called a couple against the Sabres too.  His calls, you could at least say "yeah, that was a penalty."

46, the one who got to ref because it was "Kids Day" at the rink,  was calling anytime a player fell down a trip on the opponent.  Worked against te Sabres for at least 2 imaginary tirps, but it worked in the Sabres favor once.  He was truly awful.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't believe the refs were calling it differently for each team, but bot refs were calling VERY different games.  

30, the older ref, was calling the game the way refs typically do.  He tended to make most of the calls against the Bolts, but called a couple against the Sabres too.  His calls, you could at least say "yeah, that was a penalty."

46, the one who got to ref because it was "Kids Day" at the rink,  was calling anytime a player fell down a trip on the opponent.  Worked against te Sabres for at least 2 imaginary tirps, but it worked in the Sabres favor once.  He was truly awful.

I thought the Samuelsson penalty when he went down to block a shot was the worst call or at least one of the worst calls in this game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Tampa are divers. Just don't like them. 

But also, I must have read 4-5 different posts about Tampa playing and likely losing to Toronto; as if it's a done deal. They are tied in points with the Rangers (who just made several upgrades to their team), though they have a game in hand. Not at all a done deal they will face Toronto. 

11 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

But also, I must have read 4-5 different posts about Tampa playing and likely losing to Toronto; as if it's a done deal. They are tied in points with the Rangers (who just made several upgrades to their team), though they have a game in hand. Not at all a done deal they will face Toronto. 

THAT’S not how the Force works! 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I think TB is paying the price for 3 straight long playoff runs.

They have been brutal lately and have Carolina tomorrow.  They look vulnerable against the Leafs in the first round. 

Great back bounce win for Buffalo. They really needed this one and they got it. Excited to see how Greenway fits in.

They're only 11 points ahead of the Sabres.  They legitimately might fall out of the playoff picture if they don't start playing hockey.  Since playing the Sabres down in TB, they are 1-3-2 including that game.  And that one win was due to a 50+ save shutout by Vasilevskiy in Detroit.

They got spanked by the Swamp Cats, the Pens, and the Sabres and lost in OT to the Sabres and Pens.  They have been awful the past 2 weeks.  Hopefully it keeps up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I thought the PK was very good today; best it’s been in a long time if not all season.

Darn shame Jost's stick broke on that one.  (Not positive it was broken, maybe he just lost it, but it looked weird when the equipment guy was handed it after the goal.)

46 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

The Rags don't matter as they aren't in the Adams division.

Though still believe that the Bolts can blow their lead over Buffalo or the Otters, if they stay 3rd in the division they will play the division's 2nd seed which in almost all those realities that Dr. Strange checked will be the Loafs.  In the other division, it will almost definitely be the Rags finishing 3rd and playing Joisey in the 1st round.

It's the final 2 playoff slots in each conference that could be any of the remaining squads.  So, Buffalo is battling the Pens, Aisles, Otters, and Swamp Cats, and technically the Caps and Wings are still alive but would be surprised if either end up in the playoffs.  The team with the most points of those 7 will almost definitely play Carolina, and the last team to sneak in will face the Bruins.

• Like (+1) 2

Fun game to be at. The game had a bit of a playoff pace and feel to it and the Sabres rose to the occassion.

Comrie played very well in the 1st and well the rest of the game too. He didn't have a chance on the 1st or 3rd. Originally thought he was just screened by Jokiharju on the 2nd goal and that he should've had it, but watching the replay on TV it looked like it did change direction on him. So maybe that was a legit goal too.

Now the big question is, can he fopointsllow this solid game up with another one? The only start he's lost since coming back from injury was the Seattle game that he wasn't supposed to get the start until UPL was scratched with an illness. He didn't look "good" in any of those next 3 starts, but he won them all. This was his 1st good game since the Euler game way back in October before the D all broke and then he all broke.

Stillman, like in his last game, was hitting about anything that moved. Really hope his injury heals quickly and he can go against the Eulers. Lyubushkin has been playing well for the last month or so, but this game he looked like the player the Sabres thought they were getting when they signed him to a 2 year deal. Very pleased with his game. He played physically and he seemed to be in the right spot most all night.

Power played much better today than he did the previous 2 games, but he really needs to be willing to shoot the puck. He has absolutely no confidence in his shot and it is painfully telling. He'll be so much better next season after he's gotten stronger and gets a bit of confidence in the lumber.

Great to have Dahlin back. Samuelsson is so much better when he gets to be paired with him. And Ras is just so smooth in so many areas of the game. Really enjoy watching him play.

Really liking the way the new Cozens line is starting to jell. They just got the 1 goal, but could've had a few.

Thompson really is turning into a star player.  Must be so much fun for Skinner to be on that line every night.  Quinn is not looking out of place there.

While Olofsson didn't score and still is what he is, he looked a lot more comfortable out there.  Thought his 2 previous games were by far his worst of the season and expect that was due to being afraid that he was getting traded.  Guess that will have to wait until the summer at the earliest.

Liked Peterka's game and thought he could've had 1 or 2.

Jost might've had his best game as a Sabre.

As to the kids handling their jobs.  Believe the 3 that were noticed (the announcer, the singer, and the reporter) did their jobs as they'd been asked to do.  Not a fan of the ultra slow anthem pace but the girl has a very nice voice; not a fan of the WWF announcing style, it's hokey when the Canes announcer does it and it was hokey when this kid did it.  He was much more subdued interviewing one of the skaters in the intermission youth game, so the guess is he was asked/told to be excited in his announcing.  The girl that interviewed Skinner did a very good job.  Hopefully all 3 had a blast doing it and have some great memories for long lifetimes.

Now keep it going on Monday vs the Eulers.   As Jim Mora used to say "plaaaaayyyyy-offfs?!?!?!?!?"

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

The penalty minutes are fun because for a finesse player, it's reflective of detriment. Dahlin is simply depositing some value for later in an 82 game season.

We got That guy on D

I still think Rasmus will rub off on Owen.  Can you imagine two #1 Ds with mean streaks? 😮

5 hours ago, ... said:
5 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Emojis can mean whatever they want to. Don't gatekeep emoji use.

I choose to interpret the clown emoji as a father figure blended with a repressed desire to slather lovers in cheese spread.

This is your Sabrespace POST OF THE DAY!

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I'll be honest here:  Knowing it was the Kids Take Over Day, I watched the Bolts broadcast.  I think it is a great opportunity for the kids but... it's not my thing.  But I'm also not a public figure tweeting about it.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's funny how two people can watch the same event and come away with very different views. I thought Comrie played well. I would have given him the first star of the game. In the first period, he was superb. I wouldn't rate his performance as being exceptional, but from my perspective he played consistently well throughout the game. The one goal in the third period when Tampa was shorthanded, he was left naked on the doorstep of the crease with no support. If this caliber of goaltending was consistently evident this season, the Sabres would be a team that would be chased for a playoff spot. 

We didn't give them as much space in front of the net, rebounds and screens like they usually get against us. Most of the time the sight lines were relatively clear and when it's like that, goalies look good. The biggest change with this team over the last month or so is in terms of team defense. Earlier in the year we scored a lot of goals but still had a lot of trouble defensively. Not to say we don't still break down, we do, but it's vastly improved, and you can see the entire structure taking form now. Granato's clearly doing a good job and they are listening and learning. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

This goes without saying, but this is a completely different team with Dahlin (and Tuch, for that matter) on the ice. It's always entertaining watching the meltdowns every time we fall behind or lose a game. It's always "KA isn't doing anything to help the team" or "fire Granato, he sucks!" Without fail, every time. Not necessarily talking about here, moreso social media. Just can't see the forest for the trees.

They're building something special here and not just for one run, for sustained success.

Or the over optimism when we win, it goes both ways right?

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

They're only 11 points ahead of the Sabres.  They legitimately might fall out of the playoff picture if they don't start playing hockey.  Since playing the Sabres down in TB, they are 1-3-2 including that game.  And that one win was due to a 50+ save shutout by Vasilevskiy in Detroit.

They got spanked by the Swamp Cats, the Pens, and the Sabres and lost in OT to the Sabres and Pens.  They have been awful the past 2 weeks.  Hopefully it keeps up.

Tampa has won only 3 of their last 10 games.

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I'll have to watch again but it sure looked like Okposo did the Imperial Air Force of Japan proud too.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.