Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Power forwards usually take longer im excited for whats About to come.

I can see this as Johan Franzen part 2 

Whoa.

Frankly I'm a bit concerned about these mood swings.

49 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I grew up in Buffalo and just moved to Canton a couple years ago.  Everyone up here LOVES him.  His jersey is framed on walls in a lot of buildings. 
I’m hearing unfortunately he grew up a Rangers fan (most people up here are Rangers fans) 

Just found Canton on google maps.  Looks very nice.  Is it full-blown mountains where you are?

BTW, you probably already know this, but the border crossing at Thousand Islands is quite pretty and there is a great duty free store there with a very good scotch selection.

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You have been persistent on acquiring this guy.  

Putting it mildly!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Greenway can do, but we all need to acknowledge an important side benefit of this trade:  now we know that if @gasabresiufan demands a certain trade persistently enough, KA will cave.

We all have our breaking points.

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I really like this.

Separately:  this seems like a good trade, for the kind of player we need in the top 9, with plenty of potential, whom DG already knows, and at a reasonable price.  I had no interest in trading Kulich, Savoie or our #1 this year for anyone who changed teams this week, including Chycrun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Putting it mildly!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Greenway can do, but we all need to acknowledge an important side benefit of this trade:  now we know that if @gasabresiufan demands a certain trade persistently enough, KA will cave.

We all have our breaking points.

So your saying I should have pounded harder for Chychrun to help KA make good decisions? I’m sorry, I didn’t know my own power.  Maybe I should be the GM?  I know RK would have never been our coach had I been the GM. I’ll be changing my board name to GA4GM.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Expectations for Greenway seem a little high. He's a 30pt 3rd line wing who's good defensively. 

Shiny new toy. Granato's going to get 40 goals out of him!

(but yes. 10-15-25, and hopefully +5 to +15 on the 3rd line, 100 hits, with the ability to punish folks and clear anyone poking at Levi...   I'd be quite happy with that.)

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Expectations for Greenway seem a little high. He's a 30pt 3rd line wing who's good defensively. 

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll take it!

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

30 pts is generous, 20 seems more realistic. 

Part of my point here is: The idea is to build a team. With complementary pieces. This player sounds like a piece that the team needs.

• Like (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So your saying I should have pounded harder for Chychrun to help KA make good decisions? I’m sorry, I didn’t know my own power.  Maybe I should be the GM?  I know RK would have never been our coach had I been the GM. I’ll be changing my board name to GA4GM.

That’s what she said 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

I was hoping for Tom Wilson possibly or Greenway. I just kept it to myself because I know how people on this board feel about Wilson. 

Same here.

Peters and Rivet have spoke about Greenway almost every episode the talk potential, trades which is the only reason I was aware of him.

• Like (+1) 1

If what I read earlier is true and he takes a lot of penalties… Then I’m not gonna like him at all. I just don’t like players who take a ton of penalties and hurt their team one or two times a game. It’s selfish.

I hope it’s not true. Or if it was in Minny, he cools off, and plays smarter in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Let's use redundancy instead. No --- they're not equal players. But the team had only 4 guys with size on the wing: Tuch, Okposo, Girgs, and now Greenway. Greenway can't replace Tuch, but he can play Tuch's role.

Meanwhile, the top-end: Skinner, Quinn     and the energy/speed: Hino/JJP     and the shooter:  Quinn/Skinner again, plus VO.   They were all covered by who could back each other up and interchange with each other.

The were talking about it on the Bruin broadcast about how The Sabres best players - Tuch, Tage, Cozens, Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson - are also physical monsters.

Greenway certainly adds to what is becoming a team that is becoming big, fast and skilled.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Greenway BIG man!  Greenway HIT things!

But seriously, yeah, he is just ok.  He could add a bit of a different dynamic to the lineup.

The accusations of the Sabres forward group being 4 lines filled with tiny euro cream puffs were always overstated, but I think a guy like this does balance out the lineup nicely.

Additionally, the connection to Granato and tendency for big guys to take longer gives me some hope that he can be more of a middle-6 ~15 goal, 30-40 point (per 82) guy than a strictly bottom 6 5-10 goal, 20-30 point (per 82) guy.

Edited by Curt

So, Greenway is 6'6", 231 lbs and turned 26 a couple of weeks ago.  Minny drafted him in the 2nd round in 2015, the same year that Eichel went #2 overall, and then replaced Jack at BU, where he played 3 seasons, starting in 2015-16 (all of which were better than Eichel's year there, even if it doesn't show in the stats).

He was a pretty good scorer at BU, with 31 pts in 37 games as a sophomore, and 35 pts in 36 games as a junior.  During his sophomore season, he played for the gold-winning US team at the World Juniors.  The following year, as a junior, he led BU in scoring -- and BU won the Hockey East tournament (and Greenie made the all-tournament team) and made it to the NCAA regional final -- and he played for the US Olympic team in Korea.

He turned pro at the end of his junior year, played 6 games at the end of that season with Minny, and then became a full-time NHLer the following year, playing 81 NHL games (and, interestingly, an additional 5 AHL games, which were the only AHL games of his career).

This is his 5th season in Minny.  He put up respectable scoring #s for a young third-liner in his 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons, with 28 pts in 67 games, 32 in 56 and 27 in 62.

If Donnie likes him and he plays with Krebsie and someone like JJP or Mitts, he could easily be a 15-minute-per-night, 35-pt guy who hits, defends, kills penalties and stands up for his teammates.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.