Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, contrary to the reports we've been hearing from a few around here, Adams and Granato might actually have an understanding about what the team was lacking.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Never said they didn't understand the team needs, more that they felt they would be addressed internally and the defensive issue remains. 

I said it and the team still has the same problem on the blueline as it did when I said it.  But I think Greenway is going to be a good pickup anyway.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Prior to this year Greenway Ek Foligno was probably the best 3rd line in the league.

This is absolutely about roster construction and betting that one coaching pushed him off track and another will get him back on.

My understanding is that Granato has worked with him, so there is some familiarity. Our coach also had previously worked with Stillman. These two deals are more directed toward adding depth to the roster. We have young players who will be filling the top half of the roster. Now, a greater effort is being made to strengthen the lower half of the roster. Incrementally improving is still improving. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Both trades they made were for players that have team control for two years and have been misused (hopefully) by their current teams. The gamble worked with Jost, let’s hope it works with Greenway and Stillman 

It’s important to remember. The escape hatch to the “no sacrificing the future!” lingo people understandably get tired of remains the fact we can (and do) trade from our Futures Pool under the prism of the new additions also aiding said future 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Prior to this year Greenway Ek Foligno was probably the best 3rd line in the league.

This is absolutely about roster construction and betting that one coaching pushed him off track and another will get him back on.

Jost was this guy's pilot project.

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No clue what the advanced stats mean, but this is an interesting point 

His scoring was similar to Girgensons, maybe slightly better, right up until this year.

He is very big.   The last time we played Minnesota he chased around a few of our guys, looking to hit them.  He takes penalties (which can be bad), I hope he can help on the PK just don't know enough about him.

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

This year.. but as has been noted. His style does not fit the Wild style this year. In his previous years he has put up points.  He won't tear it up, but he doesn't suck.

And he was a +26 last year.. as noted.. if he can help shutdown the opposition that's good enough for this team.

Exactly. We have players who can put it in the net. We needed players to make the net available and then get out of the way.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Both trades they made were for players that have team control for two years and have been misused (hopefully) by their current teams. The gamble worked with Jost, let’s hope it works with Greenway and Stillman 

Speaking of Jost, this deal with Minnesota could be interpreted as a combination with taking him off waivers. They're both players the Wild couldn't keep for next season because of the buyout penalties.

Jost + Greenway for a 2nd + 5th

If Jost can get 10-15 goals and Greenway can add 8-12 (his career high, but enter Granato) next season on a 3rd/4th line role, that's a major upgrade from where the Sabres have been with Asplund, Eakin, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That's what makes this interesting, if Jost was smothered there, maybe Greenway was too 

Jost would have provided insight on that exact point.

Greenway is too young to be washed up. He just fell out of favour with the coach or couldn’t find a role in the changes.

Guerin wanted much needed cap space.

Greenway is from Canton NY, does that provide a bit of a Tuch vibe?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's no Marcus Foligno in the ferocity, and he's no Tuch in the hands...   but he's a Tuch-lite and that's the duplicity this team didn't have since Okposo doesn't have the wheels. Nice addition.

The question is... can Granato unleash the potential?

We are going to love thus guy.  He’s a big faster more skilled version of Girgensons.  He is going to make us so much harder to play against.  
I guess Vinnie now goes back to the pine.  

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Okposo’s next season

I like KO and his leadership is great but he is the first forward I would replace. His feet are slower, his hands have never been great and he is not getting open to use his shot. His best move now is pinning the puck along the boards to kill time on the odd PK.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.