MSG's Sabre Games: No Cable Needed Next Season

That Aud Smell

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is MSG+ not available through your Roku?

Not yet.  I honestly can’t afford any streaming services outside of what I already have.  (The total doesn’t even amount to half of what Direct TV or Spectrum costs).  I’m contemplating radio only this season.  I ***** hate this league. 

• dislike 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spoiler alert: I am (no longer) tech savvy (if I ever was).

I downloaded the MSG Go app on my phone and bought a monthly subscription. Do I cast from my phone to the TV?

I somehow thought the app would be on the TV.

And... I can't even cast what is on MSG Go right now. It asks me to subscribe, then when I hit subscribe it tells me I am already subscribed... And it's linked to my Google account. I am to go there and unsubscribe first lol.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I downloaded the MSG Go app on my phone and bought a monthly subscription. Do I cast from my phone to the TV?

And... I can't even cast what is on MSG Go right now. It asks me to subscribe, then when I hit subscribe it tells me I am already subscribed... And it's linked to my Google account. I am to go there and unsubscribe first lol.

sounds like you forgot to wind your sundial

• Like (+1) 1

I have never really ventured into the world of TV. before I commit to watching games in the bad way this year, what is the cheapest option for someone who is in the Sabres' TV market and wants to watch all their games? Which app/collection of apps/potential VPN combos/whatever work best? 

Edited by Randall Flagg

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What is your TV setup? How do you normally stream stuff? Roku? Chromecast? AppleTV? Built in to your TV?

I have a chromecast TV so I can install most (but not all) android apps on that, and if not I can load a feed up in Chrome and cast it to my TV from my laptop (but that's annoying because I have to leave my laptop running) or cast from my phone if the app allows it.

I'm not sure if Roku or Apple have similar features. Or if the MSG Go app has a cast button, but that might be what you need to do.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

What is your TV setup? How do you normally stream stuff? Roku? Chromecast? AppleTV? Built in to your TV?

I have a chromecast TV so I can install most (but not all) android apps on that, and if not I can load a feed up in Chrome and cast it to my TV from my laptop (but that's annoying because I have to leave my laptop running) or cast from my phone if the app allows it.

I'm not sure if Roku or Apple have similar features. Or if the MSG Go app has a cast button, but that might be what you need to do.

I'm reading that there's no native MSG app on this Vizio TV. So I guess I'll be casting from my phone. I have just the TV. No extra gizmos.

So far MSG Plus customer support has been literally non existent. I resorted to sending an email. Here are the instructions...

Feel free to drop us a line about anything. Ask us a question, give us a factoid about sports, feedback on the web site, anything you need our agents a eagerly standing by.

Wtf

• Sad 1

I have Spectrum cable/internet at a cost of $151 monthly. That includes all fees. Don't see how I do any better and still get all the channels I want. Sports stations I want are SNY for Mets and MSG for Sabres. I'm in the local Sabres market. 

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm reading that there's no native MSG app on this Vizio TV. So I guess I'll be casting from my phone. I have just the TV. No extra gizmos.

A lot of those TVs basically have an embedded Chromecast. I'm not sure about Vizio in particular though since I have Samsung TVs.

If you're not sure if your TV supports casting, the easiest thing to do is try to use the youtube app on your phone and cast it to you TV instead of using the built in youtube app your TV probably has. The only requirement is both your TV and your phone need to be on the same wifi network.

It's hard to know what the MSG app lets you do. My suggestion is look for a cast icon in the app. Like in the youtube app. If it's not there and it let's you stream from a web browser, you can click on the right-hand menu and cast any tab (assuming your TV supports it)

cast.png

Using the chrome cast tab feature is how I watched pre-season games on my TV

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I fancy myself who keeps up with this stuff, but I think I'm there with you on getting a bit confused by the technology.

The matter of whether something will cast (airplay?) from your phone (iPhone?) to your TV is one that confuses me. I get NFL Redzone that will play only on a phone or tablet. When I'm at home, that's where I can see it -- on a phone or tablet only. When I'm at my brother's house, I get an option (shown by an icon on the phone's screen) to cast (airplay?) it to his TV. There must be something in his TV that allows for this. I do not know what it is.

As for MSG+, it is, as others have noted, a complete piece of crap. I don't imagine that you'd be able to cast that broadcast from your phone to a TV. Unless perhaps you use an iPhone and you're at my brother's house? J/k - sort of.

Until the MSG+ app is available through a Roku, my workaround is going to be to use a tablet. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I fancy myself who keeps up with this stuff, but I think I'm there with you on getting a bit confused by the technology.

The matter of whether something will cast (airplay?) from your phone (iPhone?) to your TV is one that confuses me. I get NFL Redzone that will play only on a phone or tablet. When I'm at home, that's where I can see it -- on a phone or tablet only. When I'm at my brother's house, I get an option (shown by an icon on the phone's screen) to cast (airplay?) it to his TV. There must be something in his TV that allows for this. I do not know what it is.

As for MSG+, it is, as others have noted, a complete piece of crap. I don't imagine that you'd be able to cast that broadcast from your phone to a TV. Unless perhaps you use an iPhone and you're at my brother's house? J/k - sort of.

Until the MSG+ app is available through a Roku, my workaround is going to be to use a tablet. 

How a league makes their product so hard for people to view is beyond me. Still trying to protect the legacy cable business?  It took a while, but we finally have MSG+ as an app, but no one really knows if you can cast it from a phone to a tv, it may be available on some OS's but not others?

This is YOUR PRODUCT. People who have games available to watch game are more likely to go to games, buy your overpriced concessions, buy jerseys and merchandise...in addition to paying $30 a month to view them those games. Make it work. Negotiate with all the popular streaming Operating systems to get your app on there. Its not their responsibility it is YOURS.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

How a league makes their product so hard for people to view is beyond me. Still trying to protect the legacy cable business?  It took a while, but we finally have MSG+ as an app, but no one really knows if you can cast it from a phone to a tv, it may be available on some OS's but not others?

This is YOUR PRODUCT. People who have games available to watch game are more likely to go to games, buy your overpriced concessions, buy jerseys and merchandise...in addition to paying $30 a month to view them those games. Make it work. Negotiate with all the popular streaming Operating systems to get your app on there. Its not their responsibility it is YOURS.  

Who own (owns, owenssss) the Phlyer?

Answer that, and you'll likely answer your Q.  

I would completely avoid relying on the woeful computers built-in to the TVs to power their apps.

Your best bet is to get a spare laptop or a mini-computer (like this: https://www.amazon.com/UXX-Support-Celeron-Computer-Business/dp/B0C43P5JGP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=12AFCRW5IQVAQ&keywords=mini%2Bcomputer&qid=1697136196&sprefix=mini%2Bcomputer%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-5&th=1 ) and connect it via an HDMI cable.

Life will be much easier.

• Thanks (+1) 1

If I can only get MSG+ on a tablet or phone and not my TV why on earth would I just not pirate the stream easily on my tablet or phone? I actually tried to sign up for MSG+ because I'm willing to pay $30 to watch the game on my damn TV! Guess I'll keep sailing the high seas until they make it consumer friendly.

• Agree 1

You don't just have to use the app. You can watch via a web browser. Connect the device (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop) to a TV via HDMI. Select that device from the input list on the TV. The TV then becomes a monitor for the connected device.

Sign in to your account from the MSG web page, select the feed like you would any other video and expand the view so it takes over the screen. It'll be just like watching any other feed on TV.

image.thumb.png.5c058392447096ed5050fdba628bce01.png

I don't see the 'complaint Thursday' thread anywhere, so its going here its about MSG/Spectrum.

Right now we don't have MSG. Yes, I'm in my 40s and I can afford it, but I'm cheap. I don't like paying for things we don't use often or overpaying. We have the spectrum 'choice' package (and currently on a promotion) where you can pick among channels. We get the basics (ABC, Fox, nbc, etc) and cable channels we actually watch. Espn. Espn2, cnbc, cnn, weather channel, usa, tbs, tnt and a few others. BUT, you cannot add MSG to this package.  

Anticipating Sabres season I contacted spectrum last month. I did the 'chat' online thing. The person I got, had NO idea how to get MSG for me. I explained to them I know I needed a different 'tier' of channels in my package, but after she couldn't find it she told me it wasn't available in my area. I ASSURED her it was, waited almost 15 minutes while she kept on looking up, and then just gave up.

Well, today I called Spectrum.  Was only hold for 10 minutes (not too bad) and spoke to a woman who was friendly. Told her I had the "choice' package and wanted to upgrade to get MSG. She couldn't find the channel. She asked me if I was sure it was called MSG. I said yes. I told her my parents were subscribers of Spectrum cable and they had it, she kept on telling me "I'm still here but I'm still looking for it".  I told her it is (or at least used to be) channel 28 in my area.  Finally, she found it and told me the only way to get it was to 'upgrade' to a new channel tier (I really REALLY wanted to tell her that is what I told HER almost 30 minutes ago but I didn't). I said how much more would it cost me compared to my current bill.  It was almost $50 more a month (high $40's plus whatever extra tax would be).  I asked if there was any promotion, any package, any bundle available to me. No she said, nothing. She could set me up with the new package but it would be for almost $50 per month extra.

So, No live  Sabres games at home for me. I watch most games either by a neighbor down the street who loves having company for games, sometimes at my parents house (but they live almost 30 minutes away), at a bar or restaurant, or if I miss one I watch the replay 2 days later on Hulu/ESPN plus.

But as per my prior post, the NHL and Spectrum make it SO DIFFICULT to watch their games on TV, I really don't get it. And how exactly does Spectrum have customer service agents (2 I dealt with) that don't know how to get MSG to their customers, or don't even know what it is?  Good luck going to their website trying to add it or figure it out, they basically hide everything and get you to call them (its one of the worst customer websites I have ever dealt with, maybe only 2nd worse to treasurydirect if you want to buy a government bond)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't see the 'complaint Thursday' thread anywhere, so its going here its about MSG/Spectrum.

Right now we don't have MSG. Yes, I'm in my 40s and I can afford it, but I'm cheap. I don't like paying for things we don't use often or overpaying. We have the spectrum 'choice' package (and currently on a promotion) where you can pick among channels. We get the basics (ABC, Fox, nbc, etc) and cable channels we actually watch. Espn. Espn2, cnbc, cnn, weather channel, usa, tbs, tnt and a few others. BUT, you cannot add MSG to this package.  

Anticipating Sabres season I contacted spectrum last month. I did the 'chat' online thing. The person I got, had NO idea how to get MSG for me. I explained to them I know I needed a different 'tier' of channels in my package, but after she couldn't find it she told me it wasn't available in my area. I ASSURED her it was, waited almost 15 minutes while she kept on looking up, and then just gave up.

Well, today I called Spectrum.  Was only hold for 10 minutes (not too bad) and spoke to a woman who was friendly. Told her I had the "choice' package and wanted to upgrade to get MSG. She couldn't find the channel. She asked me if I was sure it was called MSG. I said yes. I told her my parents were subscribers of Spectrum cable and they had it, she kept on telling me "I'm still here but I'm still looking for it".  I told her it is (or at least used to be) channel 28 in my area.  Finally, she found it and told me the only way to get it was to 'upgrade' to a new channel tier (I really REALLY wanted to tell her that is what I told HER almost 30 minutes ago but I didn't). I said how much more would it cost me compared to my current bill.  It was almost $50 more a month (high $40's plus whatever extra tax would be).  I asked if there was any promotion, any package, any bundle available to me. No she said, nothing. She could set me up with the new package but it would be for almost $50 per month extra.

So, No live  Sabres games at home for me. I watch most games either by a neighbor down the street who loves having company for games, sometimes at my parents house (but they live almost 30 minutes away), at a bar or restaurant, or if I miss one I watch the replay 2 days later on Hulu/ESPN plus.

But as per my prior post, the NHL and Spectrum make it SO DIFFICULT to watch their games on TV, I really don't get it. And how exactly does Spectrum have customer service agents (2 I dealt with) that don't know how to get MSG to their customers, or don't even know what it is?  Good luck going to their website trying to add it or figure it out, they basically hide everything and get you to call them (its one of the worst customer websites I have ever dealt with, maybe only 2nd worse to treasurydirect if you want to buy a government bond)

I have Spectrum the cost is $59.99 monthly. I get msg. What are they quoting you and are you an existing customer?

25 minutes ago, Radar said:

I have Spectrum the cost is $59.99 monthly. I get msg. What are they quoting you and are you an existing customer?

For internet (which we need) and Cable with MGS, its a package called select and its over $150 per month. Yes, existing customer for years.

Edited by mjd1001

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.