KA is this still part of the plan??

sweetlou

KA needs to recognize where the Sabres are this year and still make a push to get to the playoffs.  I get not wanting to mortgage the future for rentals, and I definitely don't want to see an overpayment by him to acquire some of the necessary pieces this teams needs and has needed all year.  

1) A big physical forward who can be a presence on the ice, (Greenway, Crouse)

2) A RD for Power or another stay at home LD for 3rd pair (Jensen, Shattenkirk, Nemeth, Seeler, Edmundson, Savard)

3) Starting goaltender (Demko, Vejmelka, Korpisalo)

KA needs that they need to reward the players this year and show that he is willing to make a move that will help them.   I get that they have a plan, but reward the team and the city!!

Edited by sweetlou
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

KA needs to recognize where the Sabres are this year and still make a push to get to the playoffs.  I get not wanting to mortgage the future for rentals, and I definitely don't want to see an overpayment by him to acquire some of the necessary pieces this teams needs and has needed all year.  

2) A RD for Power or another stay at home LD for 3rd pair (Jensen, Shattenkirk, Nemeth, Seeler, Edmundson, Savard)

KA needs that they need to reward the players this year and show that he is willing to make a move that will help them.   I get that they have a plan, but reward the team and the city!!

The defense is the one thing I want. There's almost no help coming in the pipeline so he's gotta add from outside. 

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

It's funny but those are the 3 things I said we needed before the season started (and possibly a 2 way 3C) and said they were missing an opportunity by not getting them. These holes have been there all year and are still there. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's funny but those are the 3 things I said we needed before the season started (and possibly a 2 way 3C) and said they were missing an opportunity by not getting them. These holes have been there all year and are still there. 

And some holes have been here for longer than that. GOALIE!!! I've been advocating for that one for a couple of years at least. Anderson just can't handle to much of the workload. 

Edited by sabresouth
  • Agree 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

1. Crouse? What are you willing to give up?

2. Nemeth? Seeler? Savard? Shattenkirk? None of them would help this team out enough to make a difference. Jensen just re-signed and is off the market.

3. Hard not to be upgrade over what we have, but none of those guys will carry us to the playoffs. And you better be prepared to pay a lot.

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

And some holes have been here for longer than that. GOALIE!!! I've been advocating for that one for a couple of years at least. Anderson just can't handle to much of the workload. 

Yup, meanwhile Linus Ullmark scores a goal the other night and steals a win for the Bruins tonight despite facing 59 shots. 

KA blew it, but it's been talked to death. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

I definitely think we should make some smart trades, giving up our 1st for some rentals is no bueno but we have lower picks and I'd love some big bodies like Jordan Greenway (MIN), Nick Ritchie (ANA) or D Carson Soucy (SEA) also a Goalie like Korpisalo makes too much sense. If it means making the playoffs and gaining much needed playoff experience for these young guys it will be worth spending a few picks on them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I definitely think we should make some smart trades, giving up our 1st for some rentals is no bueno but we have lower picks and I'd love some big bodies like Jordan Greenway (MIN), Nick Ritchie (ANA) or D Carson Soucy (SEA) also a Goalie like Korpisalo makes too much sense. If it means making the playoffs and gaining much needed playoff experience for these young guys it will be worth spending a few picks on them.

Once again, a reminder, all locker room memberships must be approved by the "committee to let outsiders in the locker room", as of now, there are no indications committee chairman Okposo has called the committee to order.....

A recent press release from the committee......

everything-fine-5beeeb.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

The reason they will not make the playoffs this year will be because of a few reasons:

- Young group. They have zero on the consistency side. They are learning and growing, eventually that will come. 

- KA missed a chance to fix glaring needs. Whether we are ahead of the plan or not, his plan should be to always fix what is needed. A defensive dman with size, a power forward that will crash the net and not be afraid of a forecheck and a GOOD minder. 

- Injuries. We took some big injuries to key players. Not like we lost Jost, Claugue etc. We lost our top 4 Dmen at one point and now when we need them most we lost one of our top forwards and also our best dman. 

This group can still get in this year, it is in their own hands. We are playing a rough schedule. If they win 3 of 4 consistently they are in. Losing to team below them does not help. If KA does not bring help in Friday, they are also done. This group just cannot hang the rest of the season with the big dogs (Which are all in the damn east) But we shall see what they can do. They beat boston already, Tampa, etc..... 

11 hours ago, sweetlou said:

A simple 3rd round pick is all Toronto gave up for Luke Schenn.   But Schenn would likely be a rental and DG is looking for a reclamation project like Stillman. 

31 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

A simple 3rd round pick is all Toronto gave up for Luke Schenn.   But Schenn would likely be a rental and DG is looking for a reclamation project like Stillman. 

If KAs goal for the season changed to getting into the playoffs, IMO the bigger need right now is to replace some of the offense and speed we’re losing with Tuch out of the lineup.  We were on pace to make the show before Tuch went down.  I’m not really expecting that losing our best offensive threat on the wing is conducive to continuing that pace, regardless if we picked up Schenn or get Chykrun (sp?).

But I don’t think KAs goal for the season moved to include playoffs, so I expect we’re done with trades.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

If KAs goal for the season changed to getting into the playoffs, IMO the bigger need right now is to replace some of the offense and speed we’re losing with Tuch out of the lineup.  We were on pace to make the show before Tuch went down.  I’m not really expecting that losing our best offensive threat on the wing is conducive to continuing that pace, regardless if we picked up Schenn or get Chykrun (sp?).

But I don’t think KAs goal for the season moved to include playoffs, so I expect we’re done with trades.

I fear you are right.  Right now I  am kinda' pissed off about last night.  

We wont talk in detail about goaltending, the teams real #1 need,  but it sure looks his Comrie acquisition is not improving this team - Comrie is a back up, just like he was in Winnipeg.  

I think Team Goals should be adjusted upward when they can be.  In this case the Sabres are definitely a strong playoff contender, probably ahead of KA's predicted pace, so goal adjustment upward is the way to accelerate growth.  A few moves could have been made that do not put the long term plan at risk but that accelerate winning and success - something the core needs.    

Before the Tuch injury he needed two defenseman, and if he adds a true #4 he really only needed to add one defenseman.   Instead he adds another 6/7/8 guy to go with his collection of 6/7/8 guys (Boosh/Clague/Bryson).  

The need to help the defense has as not changed since Tuch went out.  At least with Tuch out we could slot Quinn in there and continue to push a top rookie.  At least we have Vinnie and Aspie as forward depth.  The defense has nothing in Rochester.  

After seeing another mediocre crowd last night, and another uninspired home ice performance, I have to wonder why he would be so hesitant to make moves for the likes of Shenn or other vets?  

Look at the goals and the pressure that was put on by Columbus and you see that no one wanted to physically engage in playing solid defense last night.  They were lazy.  Dahlin was missed. Power was overworked and cannot possibly carry the load.  Joker did not step up and will not physically engage against a team like that.  Boosh made numerous positional mistakes and he is below average on the PK  (which really showed last night).  Bryson is a midget and a turnover machine and needs to go.  Clague is timid.  

Boston will present the same physical game as Columbus but will have much more skill to go with it.  Hopefully the road environment and the noisy crowd will wake them up.  (I will rant about the home ice play in another thread.) 

My bottom line is that KA should be adjusting Team Goals upward when he can.  As good as this season has been, they could once again miss the playoffs - not only that but they can still finish behind Florida, Detroit, and Ottawa - if that happens it will be hard to call this season a success.  It will be a shame if it happens because the GM would not consider a few roster moves.  The ESPN crew talked about the need to add a few vets to the team to help them "avoid games like tonight" per Bucci.   I think of Schenn for a 3rd rounder and I get even more pissed.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I agree, Pimlach.  This is looking like a missed opportunity to develop this team with a playoff series, and I’ve said as much multiple times.  Hopefully they do rise to the occasion and overcome the injuires and inconsistencies in net and make the playoffs.

But I won’t put any money on it happening.  It feels like it went from 50/50 to get in to a 20/80 to get in over the course of 1 week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

I agree, Pimlach.  This is looking like a missed opportunity to develop this team with a playoff series, and I’ve said as much multiple times.  Hopefully they do rise to the occasion and overcome the injuires and inconsistencies in net and make the playoffs.

But I won’t put any money on it happening.  It feels like it went from 50/50 to get in to a 20/80 to get in over the course of 1 week.

Still believe that while Adams would like to see the team in the playoffs, he doesn't see getting playoff experience this year as being critical to success next season.  That Canes team that won the Cup was the worst team in the league 3 years prior, about 5th worst 2 years prior, and didn't play at all the season before winning.

Personally, agree that making the playoffs would be a huge step for this team.  And it should be the goal for this team at this time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Once again, a reminder, all locker room memberships must be approved by the "committee to let outsiders in the locker room", as of now, there are no indications committee chairman Okposo has called the committee to order.....

A recent press release from the committee......

everything-fine-5beeeb.jpg

We've got this under control, trust us....

nuclear explosion GIF

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.