NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

13 hours ago, rickshaw said:

I’m ok with not panicking and making bad deals only to miss the playoffs still or get bounced in 4 or 5 IF they make it.

Trades don’t guarantee a team makes it on unless they’re already firmly in (Boston)

People need to chill a bit. KA has locked up huge core pieces and Dahlin is next. We have cap room yes but it’s not as much as it would seem when you start locking up Dahlin and Power etc.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens but I’m in no panic. Waited this long. I can wait another year.

***** that get some experience for the team i don't care if they get swept they need to experience the next level .

Once they get the taste the team will want it again 

• Like (+1) 2

Not really expecting much if anything by us. I will say the unpopular thing.... if we lose the next few while Tuch and Dahlin are out, and we start slipping and sliding out of the race, then i want to drop low enough to have a shot at lottery for the #1. 7-10 is easily achievable with our schedule and the team as is. They achieved their goal of being in a playoff race in march, right? Win/Win? In case you have not figured out the sarcasm ......... 

• dislike 2

15 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

I have to say I'm disappointed in many of the posters here over the consternation over the lack of trades. The GM plan is to make us competitive for years and years, not to desperately make the playoffs to get swept, and give up assets. I'm keeping my eye on the big picture - this is clearly a development year which we may come close to making the playoffs, which is exciting - but next year is THE year. Hold firm GMKA.

youtube animation GIF by Channel Frederator

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Arizona traded Bjugstad and Dineen to Edmonton for a prospect and a 2023 third.  Of course, Arizona retained 50% on Bjugstad.  I think this makes about 60% of Arizona's payroll going to people who do not actually play for the team.  I'm not exaggerating--it's close to 60%.

57.6%-that’s wrong on so many levels 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Carson Soucy would be the target I hope the Sabres go after today. Yes, he is a UFA but a sign and trade would be fine IMPO. 

I've been saying his name a bit lately, I read he was available for the right price. 6'5" solid defensively, not much offense but we need to start playing better defensively, I'd also hope they look at a player like Jordan Greenway.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

57.6%-that’s wrong on so many levels 

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Bettman is a big part of that s**tshow. He just doesn’t want to admit any guilt.

Which is why Arizona gets away with it.  Oh--and new arena coinciding with the arrival of 58 first round draft picks?  Yeah, that, too.

Right now, I want Arizona to win the lottery just so we can see the NHL try to explain why Bedard is playing to an audience of 5000 every night for a few years.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Now I know how young Harry Potter must have felt on Christmas.  I woke up all excited but I know I'm not getting any presents.

I bought you a new car, there’s a bow on it 

it’s just right over there under the Invisibility Cloak

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Which is why Arizona gets away with it.  Oh--and new arena coinciding with the arrival of 58 first round draft picks?  Yeah, that, too.

Right now, I want Arizona to win the lottery just so we can see the NHL try to explain why Bedard is playing to an audience of 5000 every night for a few years.

I hope they finish 4th in the lottery draft, pick a bust, and get their latest arena voted down by Tempe.

Their IR list is a joke: Jakub Voracek, Shea Weber, Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little, and Joshua Brown. Only Brown played a game for them this season. That's not even their retained cap.

18 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I've been saying his name a bit lately, I read he was available for the right price. 6'5" solid defensively, not much offense but we need to start playing better defensively, I'd also hope they look at a player like Jordan Greenway.

Seattle is interesting.  In play off spot but need to improve their prospect pool, will they trade UFA’s? 

15 hours ago, rickshaw said:

I’m ok with not panicking and making bad deals only to miss the playoffs still or get bounced in 4 or 5 IF they make it.

Trades don’t guarantee a team makes it on unless they’re already firmly in (Boston)

People need to chill a bit. KA has locked up huge core pieces and Dahlin is next. We have cap room yes but it’s not as much as it would seem when you start locking up Dahlin and Power etc.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens but I’m in no panic. Waited this long. I can wait another year.

Panic?   Give us a break.  After 12 years we finally have a shot at the playoffs and you are ok to sit on your hands and wait another year?  Trades were available out there to upgrade the roster and still not affect the long term cap.  You believe the cr@p they are feeding you, that’s great.  

We have 14 forwards on this roster and 11 of them play the exact same game.  Until Stillman, we had 7 defenseman on the roster (with Dahlin hurt) and nothing in Rochester.  Name a playoff team carrying 7 defenseman?  We have 3 goalies on the roster and none are a true NHL #1.   Glad we didn’t waste any money on trades!   

Schenn is an $850k cap hit and he cost a 3rd round draft pick.  He is rugged, solid, and has 2 Cups.  Tell me how that hurts this team?   Did you enjoy watching Joker get worked over and struggle to play extra minutes while Dahlin is out.   Did you see him the last two games against big teams?  How about that PK starring Lubyshkin?  They cannot stop anything.   The Sabres are above signing rentals I guess, they would not want to hurt the locker room or something like that.  

This is all about not spending Pegula money.   That’s right, next year will be better.   Sure.  Great players will flock here.

Oh Portillo.   He is apparently too “intelligent” to sign with the Sabres, a team without a clear #1.  Let’s see if Johnson and Levi sign soon.   We can celebrate that, even though it’s commonplace for other teams to sign their picks. 

Don’t confuse fans being fed up with losing with panic.  The Sabres front office has shown incredible patience, shall I confuse that patience as a refusal to compete?   They appear paralyzed, but they call that sticking to a plan.  

So we will wait and play out the string, and hope that Dahlin and Tuch get back soon, and pray for goaltending, and watch them “be competitive in March”.  Our new major milestone -  still in it in March!!!!  Be happy fan base, we are “in it in March”.   That’s an accomplishment we can all rally around. 

So we will wait until the draft, and free agency, like good soldiers.  We won’t panic or question a thing.  We will wait and watch Adams finish this roster, complete with 23 players that actually deserve to be in the NHL.   Because next year will be better.

Next year, or maybe the year after … 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.