Sabres sign Michael Houser. He has cleared Waivers

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could be as simple as they got word that some other NHL team was thinking of making him an offer. (Not positive, but pretty sure that AHL deals get supplanted when a player gets an NHL offer.)

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Just thinking out loud.  I think @Taro T makes the most sense.

That would be wild because he’s 30 years old! His stats are alright for the defense in front of him (2.95, .903). 

I think it’s just as likely that he is REALLY good friends with an impeding free agent. 

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Didn't we trade Doug Allen? 

Subban was much more fun than ol’ pointy finger Allen 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

That would be wild because he’s 30 years old! His stats are alright for the defense in front of him (2.95, .903). 

I think it’s just as likely that he REALLY good friends with an impeding free agent. 

Didn't mean an offer to be in the NHL but an offer to be on an NHL deal (essentially making him that team's 3rd goalie).

Just now, Taro T said:

Didn't mean an offer to be in the NHL but an offer to be on an NHL deal (essentially making him that team's 3rd goalie).

If Subban has a long term injury, then maybe this makes sense. But there’s already four NHL contracts ahead of him.  So it’s kinda weird. 

I guess I’ll have to be patient, but making up the rationale is a lot more fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe just a bonus for his good play this season or could he be included in a deal? 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s official KA has completed his deadline transactions.  

You wanted a goalie

You got a house cat

Edited by Norcal
  • Haha (+1) 3

There’s no roster reason I can think of to have Houser on an NHL contract when you already have 4 healthy goalies on an NHL contract.

Particularly when you are about to add a 5th NHL contract in net with Levi, and possibly even a 6th with Portillo.

You can make this move at any time an emergency situation arises, in fact, they have in the past

It might be a reward, but it sure seems to suggest that one of our 4 is being moved.

Or just a big middle finger to Portillo,

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No.  As have stated a few times this past week, since the tablet installed an upgrade last weekend, it has been wonky.  Usually catch it before posting, but not always.

Sorry about it.  Realize all that extra whitespace is annoying.

No worries.  Sorry, didn’t see you post that already elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

It makes your posts extra dramatic because I scroll down expecting something more 😄

I know!!  Exactly this.  Then, like most nights other than my bday, I end up disappointed.

• Haha (+1) 1

So here is the deal.  Subban and Comrie are being traded in separate deals.  UPL is being sent down to the A to be backed up by Houser and the Sabres are acquiring Vejmalka from AZ.  Comrie goes to AZ and Subban to Edm’s AHL to be available in case of emergency during the playoffs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I'm wondering if they do it now just in case someone may try to poach him later for their AHL team.  Normally you'd be able to call someone's bluff and just claim him on waivers as they try to send him down.  Problem is, you're already carrying 3 goalies and you don't have the space to make that claim anymore.  I think it's definitely insurance against him getting poached, but I really can't come up with good reasons for that other than the obvious limit on bodies right now for the AHL net.

I'm mostly curious as to whether or not this changes the value of his AHL contract at all.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.