Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I generally think of "Cap Hell" as being saddled with Dead Money?

Cap hell is when you don't have enough cap room to bring in players that would help fill the holes in your team, whether it's due to dead money or overpayment of players.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Joe who???

Guy that was the OC at LSU running the offense of arguably the best college team that's played in this century.

Unsuccessful as Carolina's OC.  Expect he learned from that experience.  (Plus, they were a bit of a train wreck overall that year IIRC.)

Probably should've been the OC from the get go rather than the QB Coach.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

Guy that was the OC at LSU running the offense of arguably the best college team that's played in this century.

Unsuccessful as Carolina's OC.  Expect he learned from that experience.  (Plus, they were a bit of a train wreck overall that year IIRC.)

Probably should've been the OC from the get go rather than the QB Coach.  

That's not how you spell Georgia. 

But in all seriousness, I really hope he brings in some creativity. 

• Haha (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The D is put together with band aids at this point. They are still grinding.

The O has been a complete debacle with no major injuries. Let’s see if it was Dorsey or if it had been Josh.

True but you are letting them off the hook for late game-winning drives vs some extremely mediocre at best QBs 

12 men probably doesn't happen if McDermott doesn't call an all out blitz on a 3rd and 10 with the Broncoes out of FG range    

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Out of curiosity, why don’t you want McDermott fired.  He’s been at the helm for some of the biggest coaching gaffs in professional sports the last 3 years. 

He’s come off very Weasley and petty 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

How can you not want him fired ?   A man of details they say but mistakes at crucial times are killing them 

Fair question.  They don't look like a well-coached team right now and there is something wrong with the team spirit.  As others have noted, they seem unhappy, pressured and psyched out.

However (and I'll credit dave_mcbride, an excellent poster on TSW for this), pretty much every really good NFL team that's had an extended run over the last 20 years or so has had a down year at some point in that run.  They key is how they respond -- the best organizations are able to make changes and return to contender status.  I think McD/BB are of that caliber.

Why do I think that about McD?  Because I remember the before times.  And because I remember all of the great wins he's gotten out of this team.  And because he gets them to the playoffs every year.  And because he's a good man and his players play hard for him.

The most important near term objective right now IMHO is getting the right OC.  It might not have been fair for Dorsey to pay the price, but as OC he was accountable for the offense, and the offense has been terrible to mediocre all year.  Brady, or whoever the permanent OC is, has to get on the same wavelength as JA and get the most out of him.  We sure haven't see that this season.

And FFS BB needs to get another real WR for JA.

We'll see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The D is put together with band aids at this point. They are still grinding.

The O has been a complete debacle with no major injuries. Let’s see if it was Dorsey or if it had been Josh.

or has it been McD dictating/shackling Dorsey and likewise could do with Brady?  If so, I hope McD has enough self-awareness, humility, and drive to make hard changes in himself to win, and let his OC do whatever the OC wants to do to bring this offence back to being fun & scary good.

Edited by Jävə Keith
  • Like (+1) 2

This take makes so much sense to me.

Sent this to a friend, and I think it’s relevant. The thing with Josh is not the system. It’s keeping the risk/reward barometer stable in his head with the right concepts. Daboll had a very good feel for when to turn it loose, and when to tamp it down. Dorsey treated him like Andy Dalton. Josh will never be a third-level reader like Mahomes or Burrow. He’s Professor Chaos (H/T @Nate_Tice). Your job is to amplify what he does do well. Bill Walsh or Sid Gillman would be wasted on him.

In addition to which, though: The system (schemes) also suck(s) right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bobo?

Fire Bobo! 

Lol, my buddy always says that no matter what as the gag.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

This take makes so much sense to me.

Sent this to a friend, and I think it’s relevant. The thing with Josh is not the system. It’s keeping the risk/reward barometer stable in his head with the right concepts. Daboll had a very good feel for when to turn it loose, and when to tamp it down. Dorsey treated him like Andy Dalton. Josh will never be a third-level reader like Mahomes or Burrow. He’s Professor Chaos (H/T @Nate_Tice). Your job is to amplify what he does do well. Bill Walsh or Sid Gillman would be wasted on him.

In addition to which, though: The system (schemes) also suck(s) right now.

This first comment is my concern

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

I am confused about the benching of Cook.  He fumbled = and got benched.  Josh throws the ball to the other team and he still plays.  

I was confused too. First fumble this year, and he only fumbled once last year. 

I think it shows how off-kilter McD has become. His judgment in various areas is clouded by uncertainty and pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheAud said:

I think it shows how off-kilter McD has become. His judgment in various areas is clouded by uncertainty and pressure. 

Absolutely. He appears rudderless - just doing the things.

loud noises anchor man GIF by FirstAndMonday

• Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, TheAud said:

Why wasn’t Davis benched for blowing a catch that hit him in the hands and lead to an int? 

• Agree 2

I wasn’t in the fire McD camp, but his benching of Cook and not Davis for a similar mistake, especially given Cook’s rep for holding on to the ball and Davis’ history of dropping passes, was the last straw.  If they fire McD I’m now ok with that.

That was Cook’s first lost fumble on the season on 120 carries.

Davis lead the league in drops last year with 9.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1