Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

When Spectrum pulled ESPN off their lineup last week, I did not expect the stand-off to go as far as it has (today and beyond). Typically, Rochester is not considered local enough to get the local affiliate broadcast. I could be in trouble for MNF and the home opener.
Normally I would just go to the bar, but I have daddy duty that night. I might have to 🏴‍☠️, but it’s a lot less fun watching on an iPad. 

Is ESPN+ an option in the short term?

14 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

When Spectrum pulled ESPN off their lineup last week, I did not expect the stand-off to go as far as it has (today and beyond). Typically, Rochester is not considered local enough to get the local affiliate broadcast. I could be in trouble for MNF and the home opener.
Normally I would just go to the bar, but I have daddy duty that night. I might have to 🏴‍☠️, but it’s a lot less fun watching on an iPad. 

https://13wham.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-vs-jets-game-on-13wham-abc-monday-night#

Edited by LTS
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, shrader said:

Is ESPN+ an option in the short term?

The game is not on ESPN+ though is it?

There is so much talk about this that my impression is...if you have spectrum even ESPN+ won't get you the game. You'd have to go the over-the-air antenna route (unless you want to do something like HULU Live TV, Fubo, Youtube TV or one of those other pricy options)?

The antenna option can still be a problem for many of us. Buffalo and the immediate suburbs no problem, but if you live in Niagara or western Orleans county (Lewiston, Youngstown, Wilson, Newfane, Lyndonville,) you may or may not get the over-the-air signal.  If you live in a very dense neighborhood or have your TV in a bad part of the house (facing the wrong direction, basement, etc) some in Niagara Falls, Albion, Medina may also have problems with an Antenna.

To my knowledge, the ABC signals come either from the OTHER side of the Rochester Airport, or from the Boston Hills/Colden area in the southtowns.

Edited by mjd1001

45 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There is so much talk about this that my impression is...if you have spectrum even ESPN+ won't get you the game. You'd have to go the over-the-air antenna route (unless you want to do something like HULU Live TV, Fubo, Youtube TV or one of those other pricy options)?

The antenna option can still be a problem for many of us. Buffalo and the immediate suburbs no problem, but if you live in Niagara or western Orleans county (Lewiston, Youngstown, Wilson, Newfane, Lyndonville,) you may or may not get the over-the-air signal.  If you live in a very dense neighborhood or have your TV in a bad part of the house (facing the wrong direction, basement, etc) some in Niagara Falls, Albion, Medina may also have problems with an Antenna.

To my knowledge, the ABC signals come either from the OTHER side of the Rochester Airport, or from the Boston Hills/Colden area in the southtowns.

I never watched anything but hockey on it, but I assumed the actual espn channel was there too.  I have no idea if that's the case or not.

16 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

According to this the game is being televised nationally on ABC:

https://abc.com/news/insider/watch-nfl-monday-night-football-on-abc-the-abc-app-espn-see-schedule

It also states the game will also be on ESPN+ for week 1

Edited by Lanny

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

This is only vaguely related, but for awhile I lived in a townhouse with the TV in the basement in a hilly area. I got very little TV signal down there, but what did work was a powered HD antenna that I put in the upstairs bedroom window and ran the signal line down through the cable TV jack in that room down to the TV jack in the basement. It worked reasonably.  In the middle, it was just disconnecting the two cables for those jacks where the service comes in and using an adapter to connect them to each other.

20 hours ago, Lanny said:

https://abc.com/news/insider/watch-nfl-monday-night-football-on-abc-the-abc-app-espn-see-schedule

This is true except for the eight ABC stations owned by Disney. If you’re a Spectrum customer in one of those markets and you watch ABC programming via Spectrum, the ABC programming is blacked out. Those eight ABC affiliates owned by Disney are among the largest TV markets in the country, including NYC, LA, Chicago, and Philly. Millions of viewers have been impacted. 

21 hours ago, Lanny said:

ESPN content can be streamed from ESPN+ but it does not mean it will not ask you to authenticate that your credentials from an existing live TV ESPN enabled account (ie. Spectrum, Fubo, DirecTV, etc.)

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

This is true except for the eight ABC stations owned by Disney. If you’re a Spectrum customer in one of those markets and you watch ABC programming via Spectrum, the ABC programming is blacked out. Those eight ABC affiliates owned by Disney are among the largest TV markets in the country, including NYC, LA, Chicago, and Philly. Millions of viewers have been impacted. 

They also talk about the games being on the ABC app, still it could require authentication.

Overall Spectrum appears to be following through with the line in the sand they alluded to a few years ago.  Spectrum has been preparing to not offer television services and instead focus on delivering Internet only.  ESPN/Disney are preparing for the inevitable shift as well.  The NFL will push Disney to air its games because it is contractually obligated to do so.  They will not allow Disney to use a carriage agreement as an excuse.  This is what I suspect is causing the alternate broadcast channels and methods to be deployed.

I am very happy Spectrum is taking this stance. I sincerely hope they stick to their plan and don't cave.  The market needs a shake up and this certainly has all the potential to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don't have cable and use an over the air antennae for ABC and local stations. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The league is probably going to have to put out a meaningless statement on this, that's how bad it is

I know we like to pile on the stripes, but whoo boy that was something I've never seen before. 

Alright, Buffalo, you can't let this opportunity slip, Chiefs look a little Meh. 

20 hours ago, LTS said:

Overall Spectrum appears to be following through with the line in the sand they alluded to a few years ago.  Spectrum has been preparing to not offer television services and instead focus on delivering Internet only.  ESPN/Disney are preparing for the inevitable shift as well.  The NFL will push Disney to air its games because it is contractually obligated to do so.  They will not allow Disney to use a carriage agreement as an excuse.  This is what I suspect is causing the alternate broadcast channels and methods to be deployed.

I am very happy Spectrum is taking this stance. I sincerely hope they stick to their plan and don't cave.  The market needs a shake up and this certainly has all the potential to do it.

I don't like missing the college football games (I watch some, but not a lot) and I do not like missing the F1 race last week, but putting emotion of the moment aside, I agree with you.

We have been in this grey area the last few years of what is on streaming, what requires a cable package..what is changing year to year..etc.  If they got to the point where Spectrum did not carry sports, but I could get my basic cable programming from them for an affordable price AND then pick and choose what streaming I want for sports, I'm all for that.  The problem right now is some live sports still aren't streaming.  The industry needs to decide where it is going and then just get there.

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Anyone watch the chiefs RT literally cheat all game long. It's brutally bad. 

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The league is probably going to have to put out a meaningless statement on this, that's how bad it is

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I know we like to pile on the stripes, but whoo boy that was something I've never seen before. 

This started last season as well. I no longer understand what's legal when it comes to where an OT lines up (like, practically in the back field?!) and what an OT is allowed to do pre-snap (like, apparently move and wiggle all he likes and then get off a beat before the snap?!).

Just now, carpandean said:

Mahomes is a bust.  Careless, inaccurate, interception machine ...

BrachInterception.thumb.jpg.354d765269c4941852ffb0663fa054e7.jpg

🤪

The fact that the Chiefs put their eggs in the Kadarius Toney (sp?) basket is proof that every single franchise, even the great ones, will make horrendous personnel decisions based on the need to manage their money (i.e., the salary cap is mostly fake but is also sort of real). The Chiefs would have probably won if they played anyone else in Toney's place.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The fact that the Chiefs put their eggs in the Kadarius Toney (sp?) basket is proof that every single franchise, even the great ones, will make horrendous personnel decisions based on the need to manage their money (i.e., the salary cap is mostly fake but is also sort of real). The Chiefs would have probably won if they played anyone else in Toney's place.

I wish he had played a little better so that they'd consider it a fluke and move forward. He was so bad that they might have Mike Evans or something by week 5

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't like missing the college football games (I watch some, but not a lot) and I do not like missing the F1 race last week, but putting emotion of the moment aside, I agree with you.

We have been in this grey area the last few years of what is on streaming, what requires a cable package..what is changing year to year..etc.  If they got to the point where Spectrum did not carry sports, but I could get my basic cable programming from them for an affordable price AND then pick and choose what streaming I want for sports, I'm all for that.  The problem right now is some live sports still aren't streaming.  The industry needs to decide where it is going and then just get there.

Yep.  Although I would highly recommend subbing to F1 TV.  $80 a year.. all races.  You miss out on the SkySports pre-race/qualifying shows but you can use their broadcast during races and qualifying.  Best value in sports streaming in my opinion.