Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Owner can still fire them any time he wants. Just has to pay them off. The contracts aren't prison terms. 

Shows stabilty to prospective FA's going forward.  While the draft is a gamble, Beane has attacked FA to keep the team strong. Previous GM's took vacations or took naps when FA started. It's not just the draft anymore.

McDermott will take  the heat if they fail but let's see how this current team plays first. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 6/23/2023 at 7:39 AM, Taro T said:

Ideally want the GM on the payroll for 3 more years and the coach for 2 more years. 

McDermott recruited Beane to Buffalo. These guys have always been a package deal. This extension removes any doubt on the subject. IMO, if one were to go, the other would have to go.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

McDermott recruited Beane to Buffalo. These guys have always been a package deal. This extension removes any doubt on the subject. IMO, if one were to go, the other would have to go.

They are.  But the comment was more directed to the idea that both the coach and GM need to be under contract far enough into the future that neither is thinking about how great it might be to be working in some other city.

Coaches are cannon fodder far more than GM's are.  Having a coach locked in through the following season (or possibly longer) will (or at minimum should) keep him from looking for his "dream job" if his current one doesn't fit that bill.

And GMs need to have enough skin in the game that they don't start mortgaging the future of the team for a slim shot at all the lottery numbers in the power ball working out.  Trading some of the future for enough tickets that he can get the 3 number daily lottery to work out is an entirely different story.  Am perfectly fine with that in most situations.  He should be trying to win now; but not by doing something so moronic as taking Aaron Maybin in the 1st round.  (And if he thinks bringing in the next Maybin might save a tenuous hold on his job then he should be canned.  Not saying he's doing that; but when there's no job security a guy might try something like that.)

On 6/23/2023 at 6:18 PM, Randall Flagg said:

I cant wait. Online bills discussions will become several orders of magnitude more intelligent and tolerable. 

Get bent, Randy.  You're amongst the last people that I would take advice from on "intelligent and tolerable" online discussions.

I forgot to post this yesterday:

John Murphy continues to recover from his stroke, and Chris Brown will be starting the season doing radio play-by-play for the Bills, as he concluded last season.

I would assume that regardless of how one feels about Murphy's PBP abilities, we all are rooting for a complete recovery for the guy.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You forget that Owens was a Bill half a drought ago?

He was in the gossip pages?  That's the part I'm not remembering.  I don't remember TMZ caring whom TO took to a resort or a sushi bar.

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I would assume that regardless of how one feels about Murphy's PBP abilities, we all are rooting for a complete recovery for the guy.

Holy sh1t - can you imagine otherwise?

”Murph’s play by play call SUCKS!! And I hope he remains permanently impaired by his stroke.”

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I never thought I'd see the day when a current Buffalo Bills player is front-and-center in the gossip pages.

The breathless chatter about Joe Ferguson ‘round a rural Arkansas cracker barrel doesn’t qualify, I suppose.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He was in the gossip pages?  That's the part I'm not remembering.  I don't remember TMZ caring whom TO took to a resort or a sushi bar.

He made himself the story and was always in the news/fluff stories being reported about the NFL.  Don't honestly recall ever reading the gossip pages (even when there were such things), so not sure if he was on the cover of People or a story on Entertainment Tonight nor any of their myriad competitors.  Thought he ended up in Maxim and TMZ and the like; but never read any of them either, so who knows?

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He made himself the story and was always in the news/fluff stories being reported about the NFL.  Don't honestly recall ever reading the gossip pages (even when there were such things), so not sure if he was on the cover of People or a story on Entertainment Tonight nor any of their myriad competitors.  Thought he ended up in Maxim and TMZ and the like; but never read any of them either, so who knows?

Oh, gossip pages like Page Six or the supermarket tabloids were around well before TO was a Bill.  Even OJ didn't feature in them until he allegedly killed a couple of people.

Owens being a diva ain't the same thing.

Edited by Eleven

The Sabres are on the rise, finally.  Although they are several years away from a contenders status.  I think the Bills have passed their apex (as is).  This season has a lot more question marks going into this year with a terrible cap problem looming and what seems like dysfunction behind the scenes.  The division and conference are way better as well.  That 13 second game may be the epitaph on our window of opportunity.  I hope I am wrong.  Could see a mini rebuild coming if this year falls short again.

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Sabres are on the rise, finally.  Although they are several years away from a contenders status.  I think the Bills have passed their apex (as is).  This season has a lot more question marks going into this year with a terrible cap problem looming and what seems like dysfunction behind the scenes.  The division and conference are way better as well.  That 13 second game may be the epitaph on our window of opportunity.  I hope I am wrong.  Could see a mini rebuild coming if this year falls short again.

The Bills are better set for their next 5 years than the Sabres are 

The Bills won 13 games last year despite obscene injuries on defense and improved their TE, DE, S, OG, RB, and WR rooms over last year, only losing ground at MLB 

The Sabres missed the playoffs with like 8 guys having career years, who may not ever score like that again, lost their RW2 for a while, and signed a 5D and a 7D, leaving their biggest weakness untouched 

It's more fun to be up-and-coming than established at the top if you haven't won yet while being at the top

But being at the top is objectively better 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

The Bills are better set for their next 5 years than the Sabres are 

The Bills won 13 games last year despite obscene injuries on defense and improved their TE, DE, S, OG, RB, and WR rooms over last year, only losing ground at MLB 

The Sabres missed the playoffs with like 8 guys having career years, who may not ever score like that again, lost their RW2 for a while, and signed a 5D and a 7D, leaving their biggest weakness untouched 

Having JA covers a lot of ills. But he is not going to cover the glaring problems that cause us to keep losing in the playoffs against the top teams.  Cincy is light years ahead of us and everyone else is catching up....then there is KC.  Good luck getting past the second round again.  The Sabres are still 2-3 years away but the prospect pool is amazing if they just stay the course. 

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Having JA covers a lot of ills. But he is not going to cover the glaring problems that cause us to keep losing in the playoffs against the top teams.  Cincy is light years ahead of us and everyone else is catching up....then there is KC.  Good luck getting past the second round again.  The Sabres are still 2-3 years away but the prospect pool is amazing if they just stay the course. 

Cincinnati's offensive line and defensive backfield got a decent amount worse this summer. They're less-attractive of a "dynasty in the making" than the Bills were just 18, or even 10, months ago. They can't run the ball to save their lives and their QB is a statue, behind a line that just isn't getting better. Worse, their ownership situation is terrible and they will have trouble getting money into escrow to be able to pay their stars, making it a virtual certainty that in keeping Chase they will have to start over again with the rest of their WR core when Higgins' contract is up. 

The Sabres have more ground to cover than the Bills did in 2019, and again, need to have a bunch of career years again to make sure they stay on track. It's entirely possible, but this sort of thinking is exactly what I said in my last post - when adversity in the current rebuild hasn't hit yet, it's easy to assume we will stay exponential, to have glossy eyes, and dream of a decade of dominance. They still have to make a wild card for the first time. They could just as easily miss. The Bills have shown again and again that they are in the very top class of the NFL, and have every underlying metric continuing to suggest that they are dominant and just need to stop getting the worst luck imaginable, like losing key defensive players for playoffs, drawing the Chiefs and Bengals in round 2 instead of round 3, etc. 

The Chiefs' first super bowl saw them play the Texans and the Titans (seeds 4 and 6) at home to get there, where they had to beat Jimmy G at quarterback. The Bengals' super bowl run saw the Raiders, the worst 1 seed in history after their MVP was hurt, and the Chiefs who had just blown their load in the game of a lifetime 7 days earlier. You need some luck like this, the Bills will get it sooner or later. People are miserable at them because they haven't done it yet but they are successfully sustaining what we would consider to be the outlier of possible success options for the Sabres from this point 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

On top of all those injuries last year, I think people really underestimate the impact watching one of your teammates die on the field had on the team. 

Not to mention having the Team President suffer what is unfortunately quite likely a life long debilitating injury as well.  Plus all the weather affected games.  Plus there was the Topps masacre before the season that they got involved with some of the community efforts.  ALL of those things are extremely mentally taxing and they just kept pouring on 1 after the other.

It's actually shocking that the team won 13 games in the regular season and only lost 1 game the entire year by more than a single score.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not to mention having the Team President suffer what is unfortunately quite likely a life long debilitating injury as well.  Plus all the weather affected games.  Plus there was the Topps masacre before the season that they got involved with some of the community efforts.  ALL of those things are extremely mentally taxing and they just kept pouring on 1 after the other.

It's actually shocking that the team won 13 games in the regular season and only lost 1 game the entire year by more than a single score.

Even the radio play by play guy had a stroke. After awhile, it’s just draining.

• Agree 1

I can't believe that people think the Bills are going to be worse next year.

This might be the summer I finally throw down a twenty for them to win it all.

… and it's Josh chasin' Hollywood tail that sent me over the edge.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1