WGR’s Howard Simon Announces His Retirement

Brawndo

I figured it was coming when he scaled back to 3 days earlier this year. Sad to see him go. Been watching/listening to him for at least 20 years, back from his Empire Sports days. He's always been sort of the most 'level-headed' of the big 4 hosts, and he brought a nice balance to the team. And then, the few times when he really went off on someone or something were extra special

I'll never forget him talking about he had never tried peanut butter. 

58 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not sure if they plan on going with DiBiasi (who has been filling in during Hosi’s absences) is a long term plan but I love the kids content.  Smart, intuitive, opinionated, and more aligned with younger fan takes. 

I agree. Contrary to some here, I like some of the younger guys on WGR, especially Dibiasi..who I think will be fine as a permanent replacement.

Kinda sorry to see Simon go.  Over time I tend to tire of certain host, but the GM morning show, while not perfect, has been one of my favorites.  To me a lot easier of a listen than the afternoon show (which I don't even bother to listen to anymore except for very rare occasions).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Not sure if they plan on going with DiBiasi (who has been filling in during Hosi’s absences) is a long term plan but I love the kids content.  Smart, intuitive, opinionated, and more aligned with younger fan takes. 

"younger fan takes"? like maybe players wearing business suits without socks? What might those different takes be?

• Haha (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

"younger fan takes"? like maybe players wearing business suits without socks? What might those different takes be?

Analytics for starters.  He’s super tuned into that world.  Devaluing of RBs, watching all 22, relationships with guests that are like minded.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I didn’t realize he was retirement age.  I guess that makes me old too.

I'm pretty sure he turned 61 a few months back. FWIW, he said he's not "retiring" but will be doing a few other things that are not on-air and sports related. He's "retiring" from Buffalo sports radio on March 3rd but will still be doing something within the community, I guess.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I believe they have hinted at Joe D sliding into Howard's vacated chair. He works well with Jeremy, IMO, and now becomes the 'young gun' to Jeremy's 'old guy' even though Jeremy is in his early 40s which is hardly old (at least to me).

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Liked him and Jeremy, especially them ribbing him about all the foods he's never tried... Peanut butter?!?! 🤣 

I won't be sad to see "Howard Picks the Bills" gone for good. It was always the most hyped, most boring part of the show.

Sorry to disappoint you but they said that he will still be doing 'Howard Picks The Bills' on Tuesdays during the Bills' season.

I like Howard and hope he enjoys the new chapter on the horizon in his life, whatever that may be. Posted this earlier on TBD in the 'Howard Simon "Winding down" from WGR' thread:

"WGR gets a lot of criticism on these boards. Some is deserved, some is not. To each his, her, or their own. We don't all like the same things. Personally, I like Howard and Jeremy and thought they work(ed) well together. Howard is like your favorite pair of old, ratty shoes...not flashy or stylish and probably garners some strange looks from others but oddly comforting and soothing once you slip them on. It will be strange not hearing him anymore but, apparently, he will still be coming on air during Bills season for 'Howard Picks The Bills'. Life goes on. I hope he enjoys his retirement as everyone should if/when given the chance. Thanks for the memories, Howard."

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Analytics for starters.  He’s super tuned into that world.  Devaluing of RBs, watching all 22, relationships with guests that are like minded.  

All of this. And that isn't a knock on Howard who is actually someone I enjoyed listening too even if I didn't always agree with his takes or methods. Seems strange that he won't be on anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

Considering he was one of the guys that tried to save WNSA before it was bought & killed by the owners of WGR, he'll always be fondly remembered.

He wasn't the best.  But he was good at his job and a decent human being.  Haven't listened to GR much since most all meetings went to virtual & don't spend much time in the car anymore, but it will be strange tuning in in the morning & not hearing him.

Good luck in retirement, Mr. Simon.  You're one of the good guys.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I hope so. Sneaky Joe is excellent.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

He was never the funniest or the most knowledgable, but he was incredibly kind and mild-mannered.  And he really helped develop White.  He was a big part of my mornings for a long time.  Gonna miss him.

Hear, hear. I just like Howard. Feckin' really good at that job, btw. Which isn't easy.

And not for nothing: Howard had some chops to him. There was an interview he did -- was it with Ted Black? Darcy? Maybe it was both of them at different times and I am combining them in my memory? -- where he asked tough questions and did not let the guest wriggle out without providing a responsive answer.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, inkman said:

Absolutely, he's excellent. It's refreshing listening. He's not one to be some kind of insider or newsbreaker, but he really knows how to find data and how it translates to the sport. I believe Jeremy thinks of himself as someone who also wants to be on the modern-thinking spectrum too, but doesn't always know how to get the data. Like when they talk hockey rumors, Joe quickly brings up zone entries, puck retrieval, possession and shooting % from high quality spots.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:40 AM, Eleven said:

He was never the funniest or the most knowledgable, but he was incredibly kind and mild-mannered.  And he really helped develop White.  He was a big part of my mornings for a long time.  Gonna miss him.

I will also miss him. Even prior to WGR, from Empire sports and WNSA. The sharpshooters was the best show imaginable with Mike Robitaille and Jim Kelley. My best memory of Howard however will be the time period when the Sabres were supposedly on the move. I was in college at the time and didn't have class til like 9 or 10am, but each day i'd wake up at 6am to listen to their show for any latest information. This was before social media as it is today, there was a lot of rumors, but he did a great job back then staying calm and informative and finding out the latest information. Felt like i went through those dark days in Sabres history with Howard.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, inkman said:

Agreed. He has radio talent for sure. I miss his evening show and what I've heard from him during the day isn't the same - he needs to not be tied to Sal. Pairing with Jeremy will be better for him. 

I don't think Howard is well into retirement age if he is retirement age at all. I would bet he's burnt out beyond repair and is only retiring from radio. I haven't heard him talk about it on air, though, so I don't know what he's said publicly. Nice guy who's been beat down by a horrible business. I hope he enjoys his freedom now that he's claimed it.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:19 AM, Night Train said:

Best of luck to him. Retirement is great if you use your time wisely. Love mine. 

I am retired.  It took me 6 months and then I took a consulting contract gig.  Still consider myself retired though.  

Still figuring it out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.